Grenades?

By DrWorm73, in WFRP House Rules

I'm not sure if there are existing rules for grenade like objects in WFRP3, but I sort of gave a couple to my players last session. I was using them (flaming pitch filled ceramic balls) as a threat being fired from a ballista, so I kind of made them up on the spot and used GM caveat for their effects at the time. Afterwards I allowed them to find two that were left over, and now I need stats for them.

The first thing that comes to mind is that these were designed to be fired from a ballista and still be relatively safe to handle on a ship, so they would not be too fragile. As such I think that I will only allow them to be thrown by a PC with a strength of four or greater- other wise the grenade would not shatter on impact. My GM caveat at the time was just to cover all the people in the engagement with flaming pitch which incurred two wounds the first round and one more each additional round unless the players took an action to remove the goo. At the time it was plausible as they were in a boat and I just went with my first idea.

Now I am not sure how to rule them for the PC's use.

I'm thinking the best place to start is probably the bright wizard spells. I would probably just use one of those, but with Spellcraft(Intelligence) switched out with Ballistic Skill(Strength).

By the way, remember that fires on a ship is a disaster. If its not put out quickly you loose the boat and probably drown.

Oh Yea. That was the point as I felt I needed to up the tension. When one finally hit them the were pretty freaked out due to one lead ball from the ballista had already put a hole in it. They beaches the boat as quick as they could ag t that point.

You could use the rule for the blunderbuss. As it has the blast quality that allow it to hit a whole engagement. It would be a simple way to handle the grenades. Rather than requiring a certain strength to use the grenades I'd probably make them have a fuse you'd have to light before throwing them.

The profile for the Grenades could be something like:

• DR 5, CR 3
  • Blast
  • Scorched (a lingering effect card)
  • Requires the prepare manouvre to use (lighting the fuse).
  • Chaos star; The grenade blows up before it reaches the target engagement (automatic miss, or hitting something between the target and the character throwing the grenade).
  • 2 Chaos stars: The grenade blows up in the users hands.

I did some rules for barrels of blackpowder if you tried to use them to blow stuff/people up - part of my Enemy Within work as "barrels of blackpowder" are a feature and I felt PC's might interested "so what might we or someone else do with one".

Blast Damage DR 8 (ignore armour soak), double success +1 Crit, triple +2 Damage (meant to include the +1 crit), two boons +2 damage, in any event targets knocked Prone and get Thunderstruck condition for 3 rounds. General Critical Rating of attack is one boon.

The thing is that this type of weapon does not explode- it is more like a Molotov cocktail filled with old timey napalm. The burst effect only happens when it breaks and spreads the sticky burning naptha or pitch. They are probably just made of terra cotta, though I would think that it might be too fragile for experienced corsairs to safely use on board a ship. That was my reasoning for making them need some strength to break.

Ah, so you want something to inflict some damage and the On Fire condition (can't recall if that's the exact name for it, it's nasty).

I would suggest to use the frag grenades (there are some burning grenades too) from SW, it is a very cool idea how they have implemented them.

That's a cool idea but I have not looked att the SW stuff. We are old school WEG d6 fans, and even liked some of the Saga materials, so we have not bothered with FFG.

In short, frag grenades do 8 damage and have the "blast 8" quality. On a succesful attack roll you deliver 8 damage (plus one per uncancelled success, that is the standard procedure in the SW game) to your target. You can use two unspent advantages (two boons) on the attack roll to activate the blast quality and deliver blast damage (8 in this case) plus 1 per uncancelled success to everyone engaged with the original target.

You can adapt this.