WFRP Adventure Map?

By Noelyuk, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

As I sit here trying to decide which adventure material to take my current group through I have been rummaging around through my extensive back catalogue of Warhammer adventures from 1st edition to present. And it struck me that it'd be handy to have an 'at a glance map' of the empire complete with entries for where all of the currently produced adventures both official and fan based are located. Does such a thing exist already, before I go ahead and make one? And if not does anyone else think that would be a useful thing to have?

This is a really good idea.

I think Gitzman has a map, no idea if all adventures on it though. Think his is just a map.

Yeah Durak

He has a map and what an absolutely awesome map it is too. What I'm talking about is something focussed on pinpointing where in the Old World all written adventures released so far (or as many as can be pinpointed to a particular location) are set.

Think it's probably only really something that would be useful (but I think very useful) to a GM.

So i've started working on an Adventure Map as a module within Fantasy Grounds. Basically i've imported a large map and am using the 'map pin' feature to add entries for all the adventures I have and in which location they take place. The benefit of using this map pin feature is if I mouse over a town e.g. Ubersreik it tells me that Edge of Night adventure is located there. If I click on the pin, I get a pop up windown in which I have a short summary of the adventure, what kind of adventure, what level, how many players etc. so that the GM can quickly see if an adventure is relevant for his group/campaign.

I'm wondering though. While that is fine for those such as myself who use Fantasy Grounds to run the game, how about those who don't? Can anyone suggest how I might create a similar map outside of Fantasy Grounds? What software to use? etc.

P.S. If people think this is a good idea and would like to contribute I'll make a list of the adventures I have and current locations. If there's any missing feel free to add them and let me know where each is located.

Cheers

Noely

Edited by Noelyuk

Well, I like this idea.

If you are really going to get all the adventures there (WFRP1-WFRP2) will take some work, but not impossible task. And fan-base can assist if you miss some adventure.

Even list of adventures and the map would work for me (interactive map is offcourse nice - think Google Maps - but not necessary). You could use Gitzmans map. It's huge enough to get accurate positions on the map and large enough to feature even remote locations (probably most remote official adventure locations are Border Princes and Karak Azgal). Then just make there colourful pinpoints, with adventure name (hovering above the map clearly).

Then the list could feature the name, version, book published, details if it is part of campaign, maybe some level/tier idea, and possible some other information.

Edited by jackdays

Hi Jackdays

Yes those are good suggestions. So far i've been using a standard Old World map and using Fantasy Grounds 'map pins' software to pinpoint the locations. It works to an extent but as I add more and more locations I've realised that the map is not detailed enough. So I've been thinking that my options are to have seperate maps to detail certain areas all of which link to the main overview. Or of course use something like Gitzman's map and plot them on there. Except that I'm pretty unsure that the huge behemoth of a map that is Gitzman's would probably be too unruly for Fantasy Grounds. But I may test it and see.

I actually contacted him to congratulate him on his map and to suggest an addition that seemed to be missing and he told me that unfortunately owing to some computer hard drive crash he lost all of the source code files for it. Man that's gotta hurt! Great map though.

I guess I should post a list of my progress and ask for people to contribute. I'll try and do so in the next couple of days. Feel free to raise a hand if you wanna help out with this.

Noely

Ok here's my list so far. I'm working my way through it so feel free to suggest any entries i've missed (and i'm sure there are many). I've followed the format as suggested by Jackdays and added a section on enemies because I thought that's useful. My plan is that if the following information is available in a pop up window when click on a pin then it allows the GM to see at a glance what adventures are taking place where and if it's suitable to be inserted in their campaign. Still open to suggestions about how this will work best outside of Fantasy Grounds.

Noely

Ok so this looked much nicer in the formatted table I created it in but looks like crap once pasted into this forum :( So I've also included the Googledrive original document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a2g5vBxLMohgsVZHImz7WU98TeQErCCwuMFSGsmqRF8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Noelyuk

Undeterred by the seeming lack of interest in this i've nonetheless ploughed on with it and so far so good. It's just work in progress at the moment but it's functional for what I want. I've created an Adventure Map module in Fantasy Grounds. I've used a cropped version of Gitzmans SHDMOWOW and plotted many of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd adventures along with small summaries for each adventure.

I wish that I had a bit more technical know how regarding Fantasy Grounds. It would be nice for example if I could edit the map pin colours so for example red pin = 3rd Ed, Blue 2nd, Green 1st or whatever. Anyway i'll keep you updated on the progress and as soon as I get permission from Gitzman to share, when finished, I will do so to anyone who uses FG and has an interest in this.

25k0cch.jpg

Noely

Sorry Noelyuk, lack of posting is not a lack of interest. I for one are very interested in what you are doing, I love maps and such and so I can't wait for this.

I dont think its a lack of interest, its just only a few people post. I myself love maps, I just tend not to post on stuff I have no clue how to do :)

Okay, so I got the go ahead from Gitzman to share this once finished. I decided it was only polite to ask his permission (since it uses his map as the basis). He said he was happy to let me use it for what he described as "a neat and useful tool" :)

Okay folks

So Version 1 of my WFRP Adventure Map is now ready. I'm keen to get people's feedback on it. If you'd like to see the current progress send me a PM with your email and I'll email it to you. In that way i'll be able to see how many people are interested in using it and hopefully get some feedback.

Oh and FYI just to reiterate that it's an FG module so you'll need the Fantasy Grounds software to use it, though of course there's a demo available if you don't have it.

Cheers

Noely

Edited by Noelyuk

Okay folks

So Version 1 of my WFRP Adventure Map is now ready. I'm keen to get people's feedback on it. So rather than simply leave a dropbox link here to it i'd like people to request it first. So if you'd like to see the current progress send me a PM with your email and I'll email it to you. In that way i'll be able to see how many people are interested in using it and hopefully get some feedback.

Oh and FYI just to reiterate that it's an FG module so you'll need the Fantasy Grounds software to use it, though of course there's a demo available if you don't have it.

Cheers

Noely

Question, do you use FG via Steam, or via direct download?

I use Fantasy Grounds via steam. But the module will work regardless of whether you have a steam version or a direct download.

I use Fantasy Grounds via steam. But the module will work regardless of whether you have a steam version or a direct download.

Follow up question. How do you add the WFRP .pak file to the steam version?

The WFRP .pak file needs to be saved in your rulesets folder. Within your Fantasy Grounds/Application Data Folder (it can be found top right of the launch screen) there should be a rulesets folder and the .pak file belongs in there. The module I have made is a .mod file and will need to be copied to your modules folder. If you need any further help with getting Fantasy Grounds running i'm happy to help but you should probably PM me so that we can keep this topic reserved for the Adventure Map.

Cheers

Noely

Your Map-version is *****awesome*****!

Thanks Socratim glad you like it! :)

Okay so the initial feedback of the Adventure Map from all who've seen it so far has been very positive. So here is the dropbox link for anyone else who would like to have a copy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31739541/Warhammer%20WFRP3/GM%20Resources/WFRP%20Adventure%20Map%20V1b.mod

A reminder thats its a Fantasy Grounds mod so you'll need a copy of that to run it. For those who don't already have Fantasy Grounds my Adventure Map works perfectly fine with the free demo version available for download from the Fantasy Grounds site.

Anyway that's it. You'll need to copy the .mod file into your modules folder and away you go. Feel free to leave comments and/or suggest any adventures i've missed which you'd like me to include. Likewise drop me a line if you have any problems getting it up and running.

Enjoy

Noely

Thank you for this! I was wishing I had a way to see which adventures might be next or close to where we're ending Gathering Storm.

I was sent this map a little while back, but have only just had the chance to look at it - sorry Noely.

I think to sum this map up I would say - 'Holy C*@p!' this is awesome. It appeals to me on so many levels. I love maps, I love stats, I like the Warhammer universe, it is just so freaking awesome. A great resource for GM's as it shows in an instant any adventures that are nearby or en route on a journey. I have to say, Noely, well done, you have clearly put a lot of research and effort into this. Once again thank you.

Gazery

Very Glad you like it Gazery. Thanks for the kind words (yeah it took me a bit of time and effort) but it's worth it if others find it useful. It really was born out of a personal need to map out where adventures to date have taken place and if nothing else it really helped me to get a handle on which adventures are out there as well as which regions have been used most frequently and which others are ripe for filling out as it were.

As for the adventure map itself you'll note that several of the entries have question marks added to the title e.g. ?????Adventure Title?????

Initially I thought I'd only include those adventures that had specific locations listed. I later decided thought that this was a missed opportunity. I later decided to add as many as I could, even those which are clearly written as 'could take place anywhere' in the Empire. Those are the ones marked with ???? my thinking being that it allows other players to add those adventures where they see fit. Making it editable for your own campaigns.

Anyway glad you like it. I'll let you know and post here if and when I update it further.

Cheers

Noely

Nice!!!

I have an old version of Fantasy Grounds, I hope it will work.

Uhm. The map loads. But I do not see all the little markers and such...?

Ah silly me... layers/enable shortcuts.

Thanks! this is awesome.

I've done the same for middle earth when I played MERP.

I think it should be relatively easy to do something similar as a pdf now that you have taken the time to find those entries. If I find the time I could do it, but as I've a mac I cannot run Fantasy Grounds... :(