Your card wishes.

By Killax, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

For sure that would be a great idea. However I don't know if the Death Compagny would be fit for a signature Warlord Army card. Personally I feel the Sanguinary Guard would fit that role better.

Nontheless you guys can expect a Blood Angel design any time soon. Currently have their new Codex and will try to come up with something.

For some reason both the Blood Angels and World Eaters always peaked my interest for Warhammer 40K Space Marine Legions.

For some reason both the Blood Angels and World Eaters always peaked my interest for Warhammer 40K Space Marine Legions.

It's the bloodshed. ;)

But yeah these are some of my fave SM legions to. Blood angels since the days of space crusade (way back in the 90s) and i've rally come to like the world eaters in their pre-heresy blue and white armor (covered in bloodstains!)

We need a Avatar card!!

It's the bloodshed. ;)

But yeah these are some of my fave SM legions to. Blood angels since the days of space crusade (way back in the 90s) and i've rally come to like the world eaters in their pre-heresy blue and white armor (covered in bloodstains!)

Same here, but I was even a bigger fan of the World Eaters back in the 3rd edition Chaos Codex where Chaos could actually play the Heretic Legions in a style similair to that of their former battle brothers. While I am a huge fan of some chaotic implications to an army I am much lesser a fan of the mixed Black Legion style and mixed daemon Word Bearers style that is now the Chaos Codex. It really takes away from the character each specific Legion had. For sure it also brought up limitations but the Chaos sub-meta was much more diverse, powerfull and thus interesting.

Each Legion had it's own unique Daemonic Weapons, Daemons and upgrades. I really hope these will reflect back into the cardgame as fluffwise it makes much more sence as the Chaos gods working hand-in-hand style that is applicable in the miniature game right now and also somewhat converted in the cardgame... I am really happy GW did not chose to do the same for the loyal Legions altough there was a time it was almost done. It was only a small step away of all Legions being Ultra Marines with their armour painted differently.

Character is what makes unique and unique is what sells a game. Which is why am much happier with Conquest the LCG as I was with the miniature game. Even while Chaos is not among the top tier decks currently.

Here is my go at a Blood Angels Warlord, Mephiston, a personal favourite of mine and a real old skool Blood Angel.

Mephiston.jpg

Type: Warlord

Cost: -

Name: Mephiston, Lord of Death

Traits: Psyker. Blood Angels.

Reaction: After a Blood Angels unit is destroyed at this planet Mephiston gains +1 ATK until the end of the phase.

ATK/HLT: 2/7

HND/RSC: 7-7

Since Mephiston, much like Ragnar, also is a prime example of what an extreme beatstick a Space Marine Warlord can be I decided to replicate it's stats somewhat but still make it unique. For sure it is more restricting as Ragnar is but it can set up for extreme ATK buffs on Mephiston, who is known for hitting extremely hard. I also debated with the idea of making him 3/6 but I feel the 7 HLTH represent more than just survivability. Also ingame the difference between 6 and 7 hitpoints often make the Warlord either a Psyker or a real heavy hitter Warlord. The great thing about Mephiston is that he actually is both.

HonourGuard.jpg

Type: Army (signature)

Cost: 3

Name: Mephiston's Honour Guard

Traits: Soldier. Blood Angels.

While this unit is ready, it gains, "When your opponent triggers an ability that targets this unit, cancel its effects" .

CMD: 1

ATK/HLT: 3/3

The Honour Guard are known for their durability and expertise during battle. While able to hit aswell this unit is almost impossible to remove before combat begins.

Type: Event (signature)

Cost: 0

Shield: 1

Name: Red Thirst

Combat Action : Target up to 2 Blood Angels units you control at the same planet. Each targeted unit gains Ranged until the end of the phase.

Out of all Legions the Blood Angels where known for their extremely fast and powerfull assaults. As their gene-seed altered as a result of their Primarch's demise the Blood Angels where hence after seen as preforming these assaults in extreme ferocious ways.

Type: Attachment (signature)

Cost: 2

Shield: 3

Name: Vitarus

Traits: Relic. Wargear. Force Weapon.

Limit 1 Relic per player.

Attach to a Unique Psyker unit.

Attached unit gains Reaction: after this unit damages an enemy non-warlord unit by an attack, destroy the attacked unit.

A Force Weapon blessed by Sanguinius himself it holds the power to destroy a Leman Russ or the Greatest of Daemons in a single blow. It being a Force Weapon it can only be wielded by Psykers.

Type: Support (signature)

Name: Halls of Sanguinium

Reaction: After a battle is won, remove all damage from a target unit.

A personal design, as the Blood Angels are also known for their Sanguinary Priests. It also means you effectively are able to drag out games really long which can only profit for Mephiston's potential hitting power.

Hope you guys like it, the Death Compagny will be up in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

DeathCompagny.jpg

Type: Army

Cost: 1

Name: Death Compagny

Traits: Soldier. Blood Angels.

Area Effect (1)

Forced Reaction: After a battle at this planet ends, sacrifice this unit.

CMD: 0

Only in battle can they serve, the ones who succombed to the Black Rage.

Again hope you guys like it.

Cheers,

Edited by Killax

Wow you put a lot of effort in this.

But i must admit I'm not sold on the death company. I see area effect more as mass shooting, blast template type of things,and the death company was always very hard to kill (feel no pian) so having them die after one combat sems a bit odd.

How about:

Name: Death Compagny

Traits: Soldier. Blood Angels. Loyal.

Brutal.

Reaction : After this unit is asigned damage prevent one of that damage.

Death Company cannot retreat.

CMD: 0

ATK/HLT: 4 /5

Edited by Robin Graves

Mori Partis, the mass of doom

Type: attachment

Attach to a non-warlord blood angels unit.

Attached unit gains: Brutal. Reaction: after this unit is asigned damage prevent one of that damage. This unit cannot retreat.

HIGH MARSHAL HELBRECHT

Traits: Warrior. Black Templars.

You may deploy Army Units to your HQ.

You may only ally with Astra Militarum when building your deck.

You may not include cards with the Psyker trait when building your deck.

Units you control may not Retreat, and are immune to effects that would Rout them. (this text also on bloodied side) .

Hale ATK/HLT: 2/6

Bloodied ATK/HLT: 3/5

HND/RSC: 8-8

---

Zealous Templar

Type: Army Unit / Signature

#: 4

Reaction: After this unit commits to a planet, ready it.

COMM/ATK/HLT: 1/3/3

Working on the rest

Wow you put a lot of effort in this.

But i must admit I'm not sold on the death company. I see area effect more as mass shooting, blast template type of things,and the death company was always very hard to kill (feel no pian) so having them die after one combat sems a bit odd.

Thanks! Yes Ive been a huge fan of the miniature game in the past (played it for the last 12 years and only recently started Warmachine, which is superior in competative play ruling this year, 2014) and always liked cardgames (wowtcg, pokemon, magic) so felt like some design space was open when I looked at Conquest the LCG. It's often hard to capture the miniature in a cardgame but the essence often can become the same.

I also agree with you that AoE often should be put on the AoE units, however we see that Tactical Squad Cardinis also has AoE and the same goes for Darring Assault Squad. Both have options that could refer to that as Flamers and/or other weaponry but I feel that AoE 1 can be seen as a mix of bolt pistols and flamers as well and AoE can also be attached to a very distructive force that eliminates on big scale (like the Bloodletters). As such the AoE 1 on the Death Compagny was a icing on the cake.

The main reason I decided that the Forced Reaction should be put onto the Death Compagny is because of the following, the cost also reflects their worth for the chapter, used only for extreme missions because death is certain. Because of their Rage they cannot be controlled (hence no Command) or reasoned with. They are still however, very powerfull for their cost and when deployed out of a Drop Pod can turn the battle in any commanders favour:

Consumed by the Black Rage, the Death Company fights without fear, heedless of the quality of their opposition or the wounds they suffer. Under the watchful eye of their Chaplains, the Death Company fights terrible odds to claim one last honour for the Chapter. Many of the Blood Angels' finest victories have come after the Death Company devastated the enemy forces. The Death Company's fearsome reputation has even spread to worlds that have not seen the Blood Angels in battle.

The reason why I decided they should have a 3/3 body (which can allready be seen as the maximum of a SM force, check Blood Angels Terminators and add AoE 1 because of it's destructive force. I also feel that a 3/3 is hard enough to destroy to actually matter in battle, while at the same time fully capable of destroying almost any Marine-like unit or sweep swarms.

Those few members of the Death Company who survive an engagement usually perish shortly after, either from their wounds or by the hand of the Redeemer of the Lost. Since the Red Thirst inevitably follows the Black Rage, the Chapter considers it a better fate than turning into a mindless flesh-hungry beast.

The main reason why I decided they should have the Forced Reaction. In many editions of the game it was stated quite clearly that after the battle they'll often die because of their extreme wounds and because of their Black Rage.

Source: Lexicanum http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Company

I do agree however that nothing of their Feel No Pain is directly refleted in their stats. So perhaps a 2/4 body or 3/4 body should be more appropriate as I feel there is nothing in the LCG that really can reflect the Feel No Pain ability. On the other hand I feel a 3/3 body for 1 resource is allready very lowly costed and also fit their fluff since after the Black Rage they are only usefull for battle.

The main reason I would shy away from bigger bodies is because of the fact that while they are fantastic combat units, they do not compare to the Terminators or Veteran Squads of the game, not does the fluff really indicate they become as powerfull as Daemons or anything like it. They just fight without fear and without any reason to fall back (even if they suffer grave wounds or are exterminated in the process). In my mind reatreat is not an option because they'll die from the Black Rage effects anyway, which is reflected in the Forced Reaction.

As for Mori Partis, the mass of doom, I like it, I like it a lot. At the same time I feel this ability would fit a Sanguinary Priest really well as an Elite Army option. Only restricting the ability to Blood Angel units instead of it being an Attachment.

Also, I'm allready beginning to sketch up the Eldar Avatar. The only reason I've not yet posted it is because I feel giants for a faction who have Doom available should be created with that specific card in mind.

Apart from that I also have to admit that I actually never played Eldar as an army and the LCG has allready shown that Dreadnoughts should be considerd to be 8/8 while in the miniature game a Soul Grinder equals that strenght (or even surpasses it) but is considerd to be a 4/6 body (for the time being).

So I believe the right body for the Avatar should be 9/7 for a cost of 6 or 7 depending on adding different abilities, command and keywords. I do have to say that it will be a Unique card for sure.

Re the Avatar, I'm thinking that he inspires fearlessness and warrior spirit, and should synergise with aspect warriors in general. An ability that refers to the Warrior trait might make sense.

Also, while he's dead 'ard, the notable thing in his W40K profile isn't so much his strength or durability, but rather his weaponskill. It'd be a very Eldar thing if his abiity was more subtle than merely being a big hitter.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

Combat Action: Duplicate the Effect of a target printed triggered ability on an Eldar Warrior at this planet. You do not have to pay the cost or meet "when" or "after" conditions for the target action. Limit once per phase.

Bit of a rules nightmare of course, so just riffing.

Edited by Prepare for War

Thanks for the info Prepare for War! In that case consider that body toned down a bit.

As for his abilities. Perhaps it's easier to say this will be the Avatar of Khaine's ability:

"This card has every printed ability of every Eldar unit at this planet."

It would mean he could have Ranged, Armorbane and all of the above.

With a 6/6 body on a printed 6 cost (altough that's somewhat Slaaneshi, I know), restricted to Eldar for sure and Unique.

Subtile but in need of a heavy commited planet in order to become insanely powerfull. While at the same time it would fit the "control" trend that appears in the Eldar faction.

What do you think about that?

Edited by Killax

Am i the only one who thinks FFG painted us into a corner when they made the possessed 9/5? :)

Thanks for the info Prepare for War! In that case consider that body toned down a bit.

As for his abilities. Perhaps it's easier to say this will be the Avatar of Khaine's ability:

With a 6/6 body on a printed 6 cost (altough that's somewhat Slaaneshi, I know), restricted to Eldar for sure and Unique.

Subtile but in need of a heavy commited planet in order to become insanely powerfull. While at the same time it would fit the "control" trend that appears in the Eldar faction.

Wow set this thing up with the right units and it will one shot most warlords. Especially armour bane...

Then again he does wield the "Wailing Doom"...

Am i the only one who thinks FFG painted us into a corner when they made the possessed 9/5? :)

9/4 but indeed, I do think FFG and GW came to the conclusion that Chaos should have insane combat units but at a very high cost for being that way. Much like the proposed Avatar it only has great use against Warlords and the exceptional Vechicles like Leman Russ and the Land Raider.

However I do feel that quite some units designed for Chaos don't really make any sence so far. The only real thing is that many cards are extremes in their own way. The downside of this design so far is that they have given Chaos a multitude of extremes, but all are quite expensive and can be considerd to expensive for competative play because of the way Command struggles are important for the game.

Sometimes it even feels like Chaos was designed for a whole other game system. Hopefully this will be rectified. A chaotic card can be designed and even be good. Id gladly trade the Hertek for something that damages the Warlord but because of that is very cheap.

The older codexi of Chaos always stated that they gain great powers but these come at a great price. A Daemonic Weapon for example grants insane powers to it's Warlord but when the Daemonic Weapon is not satisfied they will thake the Warlords head.

Something like that could be designed as:

Type: Attachment

Shield: 2

Name: Dark Blade

Traits: Daemon Weapon. Wargear.

Limit 1 Daemon Weapon per player.

Attach to a Unique Chaos unit.

Attached unit gains +3 ATK , this attachment deals 3 damage to attached unit when attached unit retreats.

Or something along those lines...

Wow set this thing up with the right units and it will one shot most warlords. Especially armour bane...

Then again he does wield the "Wailing Doom"...

It will indeed, on the other hand it does cost 6 and there might not really be anything that can directly stop it. However 6 resources still is quite cheaply costed for it's effect. I think 7 can be considerd to be a more fair price for it's awesome effect... Something like that I could only figure out by playtesting.

Do you guys figure the Avatar should have any Command Icons? Again my knowledge of the Eldar force, previous fluff and army editions is quite limited. In the last 12 years I played Warhammer I mainly focused on the Chaos Space Marines and Daemons, with Blood Angels and Dark Angels being my secondary forces apart from that I also build an IG army for my friends and continued that with Daemon Hunters. In short I know quite a bit about the loyal and traitor legions (and all it's options) but less about the different Xenos forces.

Edited by Killax

HIGH MARSHAL HELBRECHT

You may deploy Army Units to your HQ.

You may only ally with Astra Militarum when building your deck.

You may not include cards with the Psyker trait when building your deck.

Units you control may not Retreat, and are immune to effects that would Rout them. (this text also on bloodied side) .

Hale ATK/HLT: 2/6

Bloodied ATK/HLT: 3/5

HND/RSC: 8-8

---

Zealous Templar

Type: Army Unit / Signature

#: 4

Reaction: After this unit commits to a planet, ready it.

COMM/ATK/HLT: 1/3/3

Working on the rest

Looks really cool so far, I am a fan of the Zaelous Templar units!

I also digged a bit into the Black Templar in my time and noticed that as a force they have the unique trait of including Neophytes within their "tactical" units. This usually ment the typical Black Templar unit was much larger as your typical non-Black Templar Space Marine unit. As such I think if there ever was a Space Marines force able to include tokens it would be the Black Templars.

Going by your initial design, how do you like this as an alternative?

Type: Army (signature)

Name: Helbrecht's Zealots (notice that every SM Warlord so far has had his name in the signature squad!)

Traits: Soldier. Black Templars

Reaction: After this unit enters play, put a 2/1 Neophyte token into play at this planet.

ATK/HLT: 2/3

So far we have seen that the typical Space Marine unit usually is able to hit for at least 2, sometimes this is downgraded because of other abilities. The typical Neophyte however is 2/1 (10th Compagny Scout and Eager Recruit for example) making this essentially the bigger brother of Kith's signature squad.

Hellbrecht

260px-Helbrecht6.jpg

Apart from that I think your Hellbrecht is designed really well. I would however change the following because of in-game interactions and otherwise "to powerfull" design.

- Remove the option to deploy units within your HQ.

As new and cool as this rule is, in most cases it would only lead to somewhat of a confusion. While it does work well with the particular Black Templar unit I feel you would need a giant sum of other Black Templar units in order to actually make use of this ability. I do wonder how you came up with this ability however, I feel it might be something that would fit other Legions...

- Change his 8l8 start to 7l8.

8/8 so far has only be printed on an AM Inquisitor. We both know that Inquisitors are known for their extreme resources, whatever they wish usually gets done in terms of equipment and unit resources. Because of this I feel Hellbrecht would be to overpowerd with his very decent 2/6 statline and otherwise minimal restriction. Psykers are powerfull and will be missed but you essentially get a discount on the first Marine unit deployed, which imho balances this out nicely.

Last but not least I would change his signature ability to:

- Units you control at this planet may not Retreat, and are immune to effects that would Rout them. (this text also on bloodied side) .

Edited by Killax

I really like the neophyte reaction. Simple and evocative of what they do in the table top game.

I would also make a Black templars tactical suqad card with a similar abilty (like the kith's khymeramasters) when it enters play put a 2/1 neophyte into play.

How about a black templars chaplain with: "Reaction: if a Black templar unit would deal damage to a psyker it deals 1 more damage instead." Okay there aren't that many psykers out there yet, but it's evoactive of their "we don't witches and psykers" mentality.

I really like the neophyte reaction. Simple and evocative of what they do in the table top game.

I would also make a Black templars tactical suqad card with a similar abilty (like the kith's khymeramasters) when it enters play put a 2/1 neophyte into play.

How about a black templars chaplain with: "Reaction: if a Black templar unit would deal damage to a psyker it deals 1 more damage instead." Okay there aren't that many psykers out there yet, but it's evoactive of their "we don't witches and psykers" mentality.

I agree with that as being a nice option. I was just re-reading my old Black Templars Codex to see what could fit an signature Event card.

In all cases however I think the following Vows could easily be made into Black Templar Events:

- Suffer not the Unclean to Live.

In a way this is allready represented by the card Indomitable, I think it would be really interesting to see an alternative however to this in the form of a Nullify where a Black Templar unit needs to exhaust as part of it's cost.

- Uphold the Honour of the Emperor.

In my eyes, the design of Prepare for War's Hellbrecht ability allready includes this Vow. Once could skip it being made into a Event when this ability is kept on Hellbrecht.

- Abhor the Witch. Destroy the Witch.

Could be made into a fairly simple card, Event, Cost 1, Shield 1, Combat Action: choose one of the following: Target Black Templar unit gains +3 ATK against enemy Psyker units until the end of the phase or Destroy target Psyker army unit.

- Accept any Challange, No matter the Odds.

A bit more difficult to pin point as Uphold the Honour sort of resembles the idea of battles needing to fight untill the last man stands. I do think it would be awesome to see this being the following, Event, Cost 1, Shield 1, Combat Action: Move Target Black Templar unit to another target planet.

Edited by Killax

I like all of them!

But i would alter Accept any challenge a tiny bit: "Action: Move target black templar unit to another target planet that has at least one enemy unit there." This way its even closer to what it's suposed to represent, and can't be used to pull a valued unit to safety. Black templars fleeing to a safe world! Heresy! we know of no such cowardice!

I like all of them!

But i would alter Accept any challenge a tiny bit: "Action: Move target black templar unit to another target planet that has at least one enemy unit there." This way its even closer to what it's suposed to represent, and can't be used to pull a valued unit to safety. Black templars fleeing to a safe world! Heresy! we know of no such cowardice!

You are totally right regarding that. Perhaps it should even move to target first planet or target planet where a Warlord has commited, in order to make clear they want to enter battle sooner than later.

I'm abit behind on watching the spoilers. Has FFG made a SW long fangs card yet?

If not:

Space wolves long fangs.

Type: Unit.

Space marines, Space wolves.

1 command

Cost: 4

3/3

Action: Once per turn: Long fangs gets +1 attack and gains Ranged until end of turn, or Long fangs gains Area effect 2 until end of turn.

Edited by Robin Graves

I like all of them!

You are totally right regarding that. Perhaps it should even move to target first planet or target planet where a Warlord has commited, in order to make clear they want to enter battle sooner than later.

Move X to a planet where an enemy warlord has commited would be something for Skulltaker.

Skulltaker01.jpg

I'm abit behind on watching the spoilers. Has FFG made a SW long fangs card yet?

If not:

Space wolves long fangs.

Type: Unit.

Space marines, Space wolves.

1 command

3/3

Action: Once per turn: Long fangs gets +1 attack and gains Ranged until end of turn, or Long fangs gains Area effect 2 until end of turn.

Not yet! I feel the Devastator units are completly ignored right now for no real reason. I do feel that if they where to include them they probably will not have AoE because the Daring Assault Squad allready serves that purpose.

I do really like your design. My personal go at it would be:

Name: Long Fangs

Traits: Soldier. Space Wolves.

Ranged.

This unit gets +2 ATK and Armorbane when it attacks enemy Vehicle units.

I do believe in Ranged with an aditional rule versus Vechicles rule: +1 ATK and Armorbane. It would let them be able to remove anything quite big and bust Vechicles wide open. The later seems to be the initial plan of the Devastator Squads in any force. We also see a Tankbusta Bommaz with the Orks which is their own interpitation of anti-Vechicle unit.

Edited by Killax

As for the Skulltaker.

I guess it sort of would, at the same time I do see that Khorne is currently all over the place. With Bloodletters having a massive AoE, Berserkers having Berserk and Flesh Hounds being unable to die when cultists are fed to them...

This also is one of the reason I currently feel Chaos is all over the place in terms of design... Which almost makes me believe they where designed for another game alltogether.

Something obvious for Skulltakers would also be to gain resources after the destruction of units. However that would make Cato a Skulltaker XD.