Beta Update 11

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

I feel like I'm the only person less than thrilled with the changes to Morality. Sticking with the d10 roll I think.

The d10 roll is there still it is just optional. And I think rolling it at the end of tyhe session is the way to go. As then you can plan the encounter into the session. Instead of trying to figure out how to fit it in.
Not exactly, the new optional rule is to use a d100, and the score closest to that result gets triggered. My gripe comes from the fact that doing it this way will result in triggered morality every single session. This works mostly fine with a full F&D party, but in mixed games like the one I run where there's only one player with a morality score, his is going to be the "closest" to the result every single time. So my options are either to never have morality trigger, or have it trigger every session. In that context I feel like the old d10 roll makes much more sense.

Perhaps you should send feedback regarding that issue. As that is screwed up.

Hi everyone!

Not sure if this feedback it's a bit too late but, Makashi Finish with high FR (6) can be (not sure) broken.

Most things tend to get into broken areas with a Force Rating 6. In general, 4 is probably the most a player will get to before everyone starts getting into broken territories.

But in regards to upping criticals, keep in mind that by just dipping into Bounty Hunter/Assassin and Soldier/Sharpshooter, that a player can get a guaranteed +50 on every critical through Lethal Blows. So Makashi Finish's less guaranteed nature based on rolls that can be further dropped by Force dice being committed (and Force Dice generally requiring you to hit the bottom of trees to get first), isn't too bad in my opinion.

But I guess you could even argue that boosting criticals aren't going to matter too much anyways since you can only use Makashi Finish with a Lightsaber anyways - so high damage and low critical ratings/Vicious ranks are just automatically in play anyways.

Hi everyone!

Not sure if this feedback it's a bit too late but, Makashi Finish with high FR (6) can be (not sure) broken.

Sure, you could potentially be looking at a +120 roll to your crit, but keep in mind that a FR 6 character with Makashi Finish is, what, like around 650+ XP. I would say that at that point, huge criticals might not be your biggest concern :)

Yep, it's a 2.430 XP char XD

Yep, it's a 2.430 XP char XD

Lol! That must make for some interesting gaming.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Bua! Just awesome :D We started on the year 1.999 (stopped playing above 2-3 years) and played with D6, d20, d20 heavily mod, Saga, Saga+M&M Mod, Personal system adapted to that game and finally Edge (the best until the moment).

If I get enough Success on a Discipline check, someday I will write the entire story :P

Edited by Josep Maria

Hi everyone!

Most things tend to get into broken areas with a Force Rating 6. In general, 4 is probably the most a player will get to before everyone starts getting into broken territories.

But in regards to upping criticals, keep in mind that by just dipping into Bounty Hunter/Assassin and Soldier/Sharpshooter, that a player can get a guaranteed +50 on every critical through Lethal Blows. So Makashi Finish's less guaranteed nature based on rolls that can be further dropped by Force dice being committed (and Force Dice generally requiring you to hit the bottom of trees to get first), isn't too bad in my opinion.

But I guess you could even argue that boosting criticals aren't going to matter too much anyways since you can only use Makashi Finish with a Lightsaber anyways - so high damage and low critical ratings/Vicious ranks are just automatically in play anyways.

The Devs have said that 6 dice is where the system starts to break.

IE 6s in attributes cause problems as well. And you can't get 6s in skills I suspect for that reason.

Edited by Daeglan

That podcast would be really interesting to hear. Can you copy the link please Daeglan?

Also I have to add, that in general sensation, the game isn't designed for really loong therm campaigns.

But with common sense this is easy to solve :D

Edited by Josep Maria

Also I have to add, that in general sensation, the game isn't designed for really loong therm campaigns.

At some point, you really should just declare yourself Empress Regnant of the Entire Frakking Galaxy. Bring the story to a close and continue with the next generation.

Yep its a pretty good option. It's like a tv show. When it looses audience, we will create an awesome ending and say bye to this story... but it's too awesome yet XD :P

Edited by Josep Maria

Yep its a pretty good option. It's like a tv show. When it looses audience, we will create an awesome ending and say bye to this story... but it's too awesome yet XD :P

...& then you start next episode w/the PCs descendants!

(Hmmm... I wonder where I've seen that?)

L

MTFBWY

A

Edited by LETE

My player's character already has married and have 4 childs (2 more coming). So we have an assured continuation in a future if we want it XD ;)

[cross-post from general discussion]

I'm confused about pg. 3 of the Beta update:

"Lightsabers (page 124):

Add the following sentence as a separate paragraph to the Lightsabers section, before the individual weapon entries. “ Lightsabers cannot be sunder ed .”"

according to the films (and other sources) lightsabers can most definitly be sundered. See below.

in addition, we see in Ep. 2 that Anakin's lightsaber gets crushed by heavy machinery in the droid factory on Geonosis.

This really should be updated to have an exception for other lightsabers, or have a high-tier lightsaber talent or the like. Pretty cut-n-dry ;)

fm5pq.gif via Imgflip GIF Maker

fm5yp.gif via Imgflip GIF Maker

fm6il.gif via Imgflip GIF Maker

Thank you.

Lightsabers cannot be sundered .”

[cross-posting my reply from your post in general discussion]
What they're saying is that you can't use the Sunder weapon quality to spend a mere three advantage to completely destroy a lightsaber. You must spend two triumph to destroy the target's weapon (which can be used regardless of whether you have the Sunder quality).
See the change to p149 in the beta update: "Table 6-2: Spending [AD] and [TR] in Combat (page 149): In the entry for spending [TR][TR], add the following option: “Destroy an engaged opponent’s lightsaber weapon. At the GM’s discretion, the crystal may be salvaged from the destroyed lightsaber and installed in a new hilt, with any modifications intact.”
Compare this to the Sunder weapon quality on page 118: "When activated, the attacker chooses one item openly wielded by the target (such as a weapon, shield, or item on a belt). That item is damaged one step: to minor if undamaged, from minor to moderate, or from moderate to major. If a weapon already suffering major damage is the target of a successful Sunder, it is destroyed. Sunder requires [AD] to activate. If activated multiple times in the same attack, each activation can be applied against the same weapon, potentially taking a weapon from undamaged to destroyed in a single attack."
I guess they were finding it too easy for lightsaber wielders to destroy each other's lightsabers. Since lightsabers have sunder, the optimal combat option would be to destroy your opponent's lightsaber before they could destroy yours. Also, this does not require a hit. Miss with 3 advantage? Destroy your opponent's lightsaber. Seems pretty overpowered considering the cost and/or difficulty to obtain a lightsaber.
Also, this change was done to bring the F&D rules in line with the previous lines. In the EotE core rulebook (page 167), the lightsaber description has the line, "Lightsabers cannot be sundered."
Edited by Alatar1313

Lightsabers cannot be sundered .”

[cross-posting my reply from your post in general discussion]
What they're saying is that you can't use the Sunder weapon quality to spend a mere three advantage to completely destroy a lightsaber. You must spend two triumph to destroy the target's weapon (which can be used regardless of whether you have the Sunder quality).
See the change to p149 in the beta update: "Table 6-2: Spending [AD] and [TR] in Combat (page 149): In the entry for spending [TR][TR], add the following option: “Destroy an engaged opponent’s lightsaber weapon. At the GM’s discretion, the crystal may be salvaged from the destroyed lightsaber and installed in a new hilt, with any modifications intact.”
Compare this to the Sunder weapon quality on page 118: "When activated, the attacker chooses one item openly wielded by the target (such as a weapon, shield, or item on a belt). That item is damaged one step: to minor if undamaged, from minor to moderate, or from moderate to major. If a weapon already suffering major damage is the target of a successful Sunder, it is destroyed. Sunder requires [AD] to activate. If activated multiple times in the same attack, each activation can be applied against the same weapon, potentially taking a weapon from undamaged to destroyed in a single attack."
I guess they were finding it too easy for lightsaber wielders to destroy each other's lightsabers. Since lightsabers have sunder, the optimal combat option would be to destroy your opponent's lightsaber before they could destroy yours. Also, this does not require a hit. Miss with 3 advantage? Destroy your opponent's lightsaber. Seems pretty overpowered considering the cost and/or difficulty to obtain a lightsaber.
Also, this change was done to bring the F&D rules in line with the previous lines. In the EotE core rulebook (page 167), the lightsaber description has the line, "Lightsabers cannot be sundered."

Alatar,

Thank you for the clarification and the specific page numbers! This is a great help :)

I downloaded it but the file says update 10 and updated dec 2?

I downloaded it but the file says update 10 and updated dec 2?

that is correct. Some were beta updates and some were beta update and errata.

I think he means that "Beta Update 11" here is actually Beta Update 10 as far as the actual PDF goes. You've got the last one, Ilothos.

So I'm glad that the deltas are statted out and official, but what about the eta-2 actis? That was totally a Jedi ship. Any chance of it being added in F&D?

So I'm glad that the deltas are statted out and official, but what about the eta-2 actis? That was totally a Jedi ship. Any chance of it being added in F&D?

It'll definitely show up in a supplement. Maybe Warrior's book since it's got Starfighter Ace.