Beta Update 11

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

Hi everyone,

This week marks the final update for the beta errata, which can be found here . I want to remind everyone, though, that we'll still be monitoring these forums and still accepting feedback for the next couple weeks. Please feel free to contact us with anything you find pressing or important; we may not be able to respond, but we'll certainly consider and review it.

And it really can't be said enough; thank you for all your hard work and dedication. You've all helped make Force and Destiny a great game, and everyone on the team couldn't be more excited about the final result.

May the Force be with you.

Love the section on combining systems! Thought we were going to have to wait until the final book got here before we got that.

Edited by Alatar1313

Though..."No matter how many systems a character is using, he can never start with more than 2,500 additional credits, and/or 10 additional starting experience points."

Are you not able to, say, pick +10XP for +10 Obligation/-10 Duty and also pick +5XP for +5 Obligation/-5 Duty if only using one of the systems? The books say you can't pick the same option more than once, but those look like two different options unless I've missed a clarification somewhere...

I think they just gave me permission to ignore the Morality rules.

Not that I needed it, but, thanks guys.

(and bit of a typo, there's no such things as a 'monetary of monks' :)

The Balancing Items and Balancing Encounters is a nice touch, I think. It's simple common sense suggestions that help to remind the GM to ensure everyone is having fun.

I think they just gave me permission to ignore the Morality rules.

Not that I needed it, but, thanks guys.

(and bit of a typo, there's no such things as a 'monetary of monks' :)

Are you telling me my Franciscan coins are useless?!

Edited by DeepEyes357

The explanation on asymmetrical rewards was a good addition.

Edited by kaosoe

Good note to end the Beta updates on.

I like that the "triggering Morality" got moved to being a GM Option, mostly as it seemed that if a player knew their Morality had triggered and they were angling to go dark side or light side paragon, then they'd take actions that section to ensure that their Morality score plummeted or sky-rocketed as necessary.

The suggestions on balancing various rewards against a lightsaber are also helpful, particularly for newer GMs that aren't as used to being able to eyeball what seems like a fair reward.

The changes to melee weapons are interesting. I think the addition of Defensive to the ancient and cortosis swords makes those weapons a bit more viable for a character while removing Defensive from the electro-staff makes it less of a beast given it's already got a high damage output (both base and with the Linked quality) and low crit rating, particularly if wielded by a skilled opponent (like the MagnaGuard droids) or against a target that doesn't have a lot of defensive traits that apply to melee attacks.

Though..."No matter how many systems a character is using, he can never start with more than 2,500 additional credits, and/or 10 additional starting experience points."

Are you not able to, say, pick +10XP for +10 Obligation/-10 Duty and also pick +5XP for +5 Obligation/-5 Duty if only using one of the systems? The books say you can't pick the same option more than once, but those look like two different options unless I've missed a clarification somewhere...

How it is in the errata is how it has always been - you could only pick each option once, and those were the same options.

How it is in the errata is how it has always been - you could only pick each option once, and those were the same options.

Is that spelled out somewhere that +10XP and +5XP are the same option? I couldn't find it anywhere. They looked like different options to all of my players and me since they're different lines on the table of options. I mean, it's not a big deal at all; I just wanted to note it if it was inconsistent.

Edited by Alatar1313

Yay! I feel like we should have a wrap-party or something...

And now, 7 months of withdrawal pains.

;)

Wrap party indeed, Lorne! Well done everyone!

:D

I'd agree with you except for all of the other books that are announced and/or en route. Don't you guys already have a backlog of stuff (maybe about Jedi now that the beta is over?) to talk about on the podcast (that I definitely don't listen to) without constant beta updates rolling in? ;)

I'm just so glad that we have playable, balanced Jedi now. I stayed off this system for far too long and stuck with Saga for that reason. I really wish I had bought in when EotE launched since I've discovered this system is amazing, but I really like everything F&D has done with the Jedi and the Force.

I'm down for the wrap party. Since I'm new here, I'll bring alcohol. :)

Edited by Alatar1313

Is that spelled out somewhere that +10XP and +5XP are the same option? I couldn't find it anywhere. They looked like different options to all of my players and me since they're different lines on the table of options. I mean, it's not a big deal at all; I just wanted to note it if it was inconsistent.

Well, to me it reads in the core rulebook as being the same option, but it was also clarified back in the EotE beta, I believe.

It was established by FFG that they were the same option, though.

Well, to me it reads in the core rulebook as being the same option, but it was also clarified back in the EotE beta, I believe.

It was established by FFG that they were the same option, though.

I guess that's possible. I'm just not seeing anything in anything official stating that +10XP and +5XP are the same option. Seems like they should have put it in AoR if it was clarified in EotE. Ah well, it doesn't really matter since it comes down to a grand total of 5XP. I just wanted to note it if it was inconsistent with the way a single system operated.

Yay! I feel like we should have a wrap-party or something...

You bring the crystal polish, I'll bring the martinis.

Perhaps they'll expand it in the core book with more clarity, but for the beta we get a short and sweet version.

Seems to me the main purpose is to say, "No, you can't have 30 bonus xp, and no, you can't have 7500 additional credits."

Seems to me the main purpose is to say, "No, you can't have 30 bonus xp, and no, you can't have 7500 additional credits."

Yeah for sure. I just thought maybe it should say 15xp or 3500 credits since it looks like that can be done with either obligation or duty alone.

Edited by Alatar1313

I'd agree with you except for all of the other books that are announced and/or en route. Don't you guys already have a backlog of stuff (maybe about Jedi now that the beta is over?) to talk about on the podcast (that I definitely don't listen to) without constant beta updates rolling in? ;)

I'm just so glad that we have playable, balanced Jedi now. I stayed off this system for far too long and stuck with Saga for that reason. I really wish I had bought in when EotE launched since I've discovered this system is amazing, but I really like everything F&D has done with the Jedi and the Force.

I'm down for the wrap party. Since I'm new here, I'll bring alcohol. :)

Hell yes we have a backlog for the show. I'm speaking entirely from a personal POV. I've been waiting for this game since GenCon 2012. The Beta is like giving me a free/low-cost hit, and now I'll be twitching until I've got the 5 pound black book in my grabby hands.

...and then have sights on whatever F&D Career book gets announced first...

*sigh*

Perhaps they'll expand it in the core book with more clarity, but for the beta we get a short and sweet version.

Pretty much this. Sam talked about that on our show dealing with characters and all three mechanics ( Episode 41: From A Certain Point of View ). If your GM allows start with Obligation, Duty, and Morality, but you only reap the initial creation rewards (bonus XP and/or Credits) from one of them.

Edited by DarthGM

Hell yes we have a backlog for the show. I'm speaking entirely from a personal POV. I've been waiting for this game since GenCon 2012. The Beta is like giving me a free/low-cost hit, and now I'll be twitching until I've got the 5 pound black book in my grabby hands.

*sigh*

Oh man. I have the 3 for EotE, but I totally forgot about the fact that there will (in all likelihood) be career books for each of the F&D careers. Kinda makes me sad that they're so far away.

Pretty much this. Sam talked about that on our show dealing with characters and all three mechanics ( Episode 41: From A Certain Point of View ). If your GM allows start with Obligation, Duty, and Morality, but you only reap the initial creation rewards (bonus XP and/or Credits) from one of them.

Oh yeah no disagreement on the intent; I heard him on the episode. It just looked inconsistent with what you could do with either Obligation or Duty alone since it looks like you can get 15xp or 3500 credits without picking the same "option" twice (assuming you start with at least 15 of either). It's not a big deal at all, and the intent to only use the bonus for one of the mechanics is very clear. I just wanted to put it out there for clarification.

Edited by Alatar1313

Really glad that Morality was overhauled. Well done, devs! I really like how all three core resources are now 1d100 rolls.

*sigh*

Oh man. I have the 3 for EotE, but I totally forgot about the fact that there will (in all likelihood) be career books for each of the F&D careers. Kinda makes me sad that they're so far away.

It kinda makes me sad that they might not be able to finished the splatbooks for F&D if they don't get to renew their licence. Though i think they will, but the possibility of them not getting it makes me a bit sad.

If anyone earns the right to the SW licence its FFG, they've done an amazing job with the RPGs (and the rest but that dosn't really interest me.)

Were prices on the Mask and stuff really supposed to fall from 50,000 to 4,000, or did the pink text have several typos each missing a zero? I'm a fan of saving money, but a difference of 46,000 credits is big, and I assume a typo, until someone says it's correct.

Also very glad to see the integration of each system's mechanic. Thank you.

Were prices on the Mask and stuff really supposed to fall from 50,000 to 4,000, or did the pink text have several typos each missing a zero? I'm a fan of saving money, but a difference of 46,000 credits is big, and I assume a typo, until someone says it's correct.

It's very likely intentional, since it was done to not only the Demon Mask, but also the Meditation Focus.

It's very likely intentional, since it was done to not only the Demon Mask, but also the Meditation Focus.

Yeah, I got the idea that it was done to allow for Knight Level characters without lightsabers to have cool Force-flavored items.