What is my Total damage reduction?

By Firias, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

I know this is probably a retarded question but if i have 60T and unnatural toughness x2 as well as a cybernetic inplant on a body part does this mean that damage to that body part is reduced by 14 (not including AP)

Because my thinking is i have a toughness bonus of 6 (from the 60 Toughness) and that is multiplied by 2 to equal 12(from the unnatural toughness) And finally add 2 to that for the cybernetic that = 14 reduction? am i right or have i missed something?

Unnatural Toughness in the Dark Heresy/ Rogue Trader/ Deathwatch system is a broken and horrible mess as it is a multiplier however in the new system it's an additive to your bonus. If you were a marine in the new system you'd have a fixed +4 Unnatural toughness meaning you'd have a base TB of 10.

However you're not so yes that's right. Your toughness bonus for all intent and purpose is 12. Cybernetic Implants add another +2 (P176) meaning your Unnatural Toughness bonus when hit on that location is 14. On anywhere else it's 12.

This is before you take into account armour...

Edited by Calgor Grim

Thanks that helps alot. ive just found a group who dont use unnatural stats at all because it is over powered however due to being an iron hands techmarine with the flesh is weak 2, mark 8 errant armor that was destroyed and rebuilt my chest is 14 AP with a servo arm attached to the torso (which is counted as a cybernetic) i still have plus 8 toughness (so im still pretty tanky)

UT isn't bad but its just something to consider carefully. However this is why weapons need the Felling talent or have qualities which do damage ignoring the UT bonus like certain poisons, suffocation, radiation/chemicals etc. That and high damage/pen items like melta/plasma/las cannon.

Of course, don't go overboard.

No one wants to play a space marine and continuously being no more tough than a normal human.

go look at the one on one against a blood thirster forum and you'll see how puny your UT can be. We worked long and hard to finally come up with a build that could take melee hits from that guy.

go look at the one on one against a blood thirster forum and you'll see how puny your UT can be. We worked long and hard to finally come up with a build that could take melee hits from that guy.

I was gonna say...Dr Quinn is an evil monster when it comes to breaking game systems. When it comes down to it though, things are balanced in Deathwatch to have one of two results

1. No Damage At All

2. Make a dodge roll, No luck? What is Crit 10 on the Energy chart for faces?