What does Fly Casual mean to you.

By thestggrwng, in X-Wing

But some people have conflated wanting to adhere to the rules (ex: where angle should the ship be at when bumping? I actually think that is somewhat important because it does play into positioning for the next movement) as being a so called DB. it seems that to some people 'fly casual' means 'play like I want to play'

In the example I listed, a my version of 'fly casual' mentality would say (assuming this is a casual, 'game night' kind of game) 'hey um, you bumped there, is that the right angle to be at?" the opponent responds "hmm.. I don't know, (or don't care), it's not a big deal, they bumped, this makes sense" - to which I reply, 'well....ok. it's not a big deal. fly casual!'

In a tournament, I'd be asking for the TO to make a ruling. Courteously. But still, asking. And that does not a DB make. A DB reaction would be to shout the opponent down as a cheater, scrub, nerfherder, n00b, etc...publicly shame him, and maybe ask for a ruling or let it go but be a jerk about it after.

Edited by nathankc

But some people have conflated wanting to adhere to the rules (ex: where angle should the ship be at when bumping? I actually think that is somewhat important because it does play into positioning for the next movement) as being a so called DB. it seems that to some people 'fly casual' means 'play like I want to play'

In the example I listed, a my version of 'fly casual' mentality would say (assuming this is a casual, 'game night' kind of game) 'hey um, you bumped there, is that the right angle to be at?" the opponent responds "hmm.. I don't know, (or don't care), it's not a big deal, they bumped, this makes sense" - to which I reply, 'well....ok. it's not a big deal. fly casual!'

In a tournament, I'd be asking for the TO to make a ruling. Courteously. But still, asking. And that does not a DB make. A DB reaction would be to shout the opponent down as a cheater, scrub, nerfherder, n00b, etc...publicly shame him, and maybe ask for a ruling or let it go but be a jerk about it after.

No, a DB would call someone scruffy-looking.

Truth

it means not being a hard ass on the rules and giving my opponent a chance to change his mind or execute rules he has forgotten like placing tokens or giving him the benefit of the doubt on a 50/50 call wout calling over the judge.

actually i let my opponent dictate how far ill take this. If they insist a firing arc is 'in' when i think it is 'out' i will call over the judge for an unbiased opinion :)

there is a big difference between tournament play and casual play but my goal is to keep that difference small.

in a nut-shell Fly Casual means being friendly and easygoing on stuff and not a rules lawyer.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

A few things. Being flexible about templates, innocent bumps, and consideration for forgetting an action within phase reason.

Also, not being a witch. Or, if I'm going to be a witch, wearing a low cut top so it makes up for it in some small way.

Edited by bubblepopmei

I think one of the main 'casuals' i allow is letting people take actions they have forgotten for their ships as long as they are all done before the firing section.

If we start rolling red dice its too late then but if you've activated a new ship (or two)) and forgotten to asign an action i dont mind, particualry if its like a tie swarm and everyone is doing the same thing like evade.

The other 'rule bend' im totally cool with is when we'r playing late or after a few beers and someone misets a dial in a way which would make an otherwise unharmed ship fly off board... clearly just tired ness / tipsyness so i let them go the way they obviously meant to.

Home games only though, i'd not expect anyone else to automatically grant me the same tolerances if i played out of my house. Im just very easy going.

Fly casual mean to me, not to be two face and run builds and play tactics and then attack others who do the same thing with different ships. It also means that if the other player wants to play to quote an online game term " full real mode " vs arcade mode you shouldn't force your idea of a good time onto them in a competitive play game. Asking for them to forget using their brain but go with the luck of the dice into a no win battle with the ships they have.

I fly casual 100% of the time when I am in a fun game with friends or new players. And I don't force friends to fly casual if we are testing or practicing for an even and want to put our builds to the test. Due to that wouldn't be flying causal to force them do what you think is the " right " thing to do. When they are trying to play using the rules giving for play. ;)

To me (unfortunately) it means the guy who always shows up to the big local tournaments wearing the Fly Casual shirt and takes everything way too seriously and is no fun to play or be around.

Hey, I know that guy!

In my case, he was actually the TO for one event and was just about the worst person I've ever played against - as far as trying to bend rules, nudge ships, etc, goes.

For me it means being a good sport, respecting your opponent.

I would also bundle it up with not rushing the opponent, allowing him a forgotten action, not making a big deal out of a nudge (happens to me too), sometimes reminding him if there's an ability he hasn't used (50-50, as I might forget as well).

As far as fire-arcs and bumping positions go, I try to be as precise as possible, as these matter. If I have a complete disagreement I propose a dice roll (as per the official rules).

I take fly casual as identical to "don't be a d**k", but I will play to the best of my abilities and try to be precise.

edit:English

Edited by chilligan

At the moment at home i'm trying to 'fly casual for my opponent only'

I'm trying to up my game to take part in my local stores events so i've asked friends *not* to remind me if i forget an action, dont remind me i've got 'predator' and could make a re-roll etc.

I'll remind them etc but i've asked a few good mates to be as much of a D*** as possible so that im not overly upset if i meet the worst of players in organised play :)

It means when playing a game, I try to make my first priority that both my opponent and myself are having fun. Rules and technical distinctions are important, but not worth ruining the game over.

You bring your positive attitude to the table first, meet and greet the player, chat with them about them about their squad and build, how long they have been playing. Help them move their ships and offer to help hold the template when they do a move.

Basicaly, not sweating the small stuff.

At last nights winter tournament, my opponent was going to PS12 his full health B-wing when his other PS2 1-hull B-wing had a shot and was in two firing arcs for return fire. I suggested he PS12 the other B-wing so he could damage my ship before dying, and maybe finish it off with the other.

(we we're both fighting to not be in last place and neither of us knew who was winning at this point).

that is excellent sportsmanship and a prime example of 'fly casual'

i did a similar thing playing a friend the other day , i pointed out that if he didnt cloak *now* that any further move would take him off the board but if cloacked he could move side ways 2 (at about a 30 degree angle back off the board) which would save his phantom.

If i win i want to win becasue it was a fun game not because someone made a silly mistake with a ship they were not used to.

Examples of fly casual for me:

• reminding your opponent to take his action if he forgot to
  • allowing your opponent to retroactively take an action if he forgot to
  • rolling dice as a tie breaker determinant. for example, in my 6th game at worlds, my awesome opponent ben allowed for a roll of in a critical range 3 situation to see if roark could bring in a blue to fire at his phantom. I won the roll off, and killed the phantom to win the game, and ben was very cool about it.
  • letting your opponent change his mind about something, even if he's committed to it somehow
  • vassal example: if your opponent set up his ships incorrectly in the initial setup phase, and they all bump on move one - letting your opponent go back and fix his setup so his ships don't bump
  • reminding your opponent about his list's special abilities if he forgets to use them
  • moving your opponent's ships when they are on your side of the board (I swear, there is going to be a whole category of back pain as a result of this game!)
  • moving fast when your opponent is down on points and the game is running out of time to give them a chance to catch up
  • genuinely feeling bad when your opponent gets f8x0r3d by the dice
  • celebrating when your opponent makes an awesome move
  • after the game, talking about what went well, what didn't, what each player could have done differently (the post mortem)
Edited by sozin

Pretty much the 'ten commandments of play casual' there ^^^^^

Fly casual? Simple for me. I play my best and have a few laughs. I play hard but don't resort to cheating or stalling. If I lose I congratulate the guy and chat up what I could have done othwrwise. If I winI tell my opponent if he did anything majorly wrong if it was ever a one sided fight.

Edited by Ichiyo1821

Fly Casual does not mean that someone can barrel roll Howlrunner left, then once they've checked the arc and see they're not out of it, let them barrel roll left and check the arc's on that side.

Be the player you want to play with.

Fly Casual does not mean that someone can barrel roll Howlrunner left, then once they've checked the arc and see they're not out of it, let them barrel roll left and check the arc's on that side.

I agree with that. I guess that barrel rolls and boosts are a little different - I was thinking more about evades, TLs, & focuses.

Thats exactly what i thought you meant

Essentially you shouldnt let people make changes that fundamentally affect a play that has been put in effect but if they forogot to say that one of their five ties was evading and the other four did you'd be a bit of a git not to let them put an evade on that one too....

Fly Casual:

Having a game of X-wing with one or more friends. Talk, drink, play the game, grab a snack in between. Allow for mistakes to be corrected and try out fun lists. :)

I think the biggest folly we can fall into is to assume that you must abide by "Fly Casual" in order to be a member of the X-Wing community or to play X-Wing. My impression is that "Fly Casual" will occasionally run counter to "Play to Win" mentality. If it didn't, then "Fly Casual" means nothing more than "Be a good sport." But to me, "Fly Casual" means more than that. It means giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt. It means sometimes reminding a player of a card ability they missed.

What I don't want to see happen is for the "Fly Casuals" to get high-and-mighty on the more strict and competitive players and make them feel like they don't belong. Nobody has to "Fly Casual." Nobody has to win at all costs. They are different philosophies and we should abide by the one we truly believe in.

To crush joor enemies

To see dem driven before joo

And to hear de lamentation..

Oh wait.

"Hey dude, you forgot your actions."

Flying Casual to me.

Lots of trash talk. Maybe even a few beers. And if a rule somehow gets over looked (like last game that b-wing doesn't have evade) laugh it off and keep going.