What does Fly Casual mean to you.

By thestggrwng, in X-Wing

Doug started Fly Casual and everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means. What does it mean to you?

It means not getting too worked up over the final angle of a Falcon that bumped on a 1-hard.

To me it means giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt on a tough call and expecting them to do the same.

its reminding people that they are about to make an epic mess up before they do or just merely going 'is that guy making an action then?' before the move on to shooting or whatever.

Its playing for the fun and the story. its putting forward characterful builds that could exist in the star wars universe rather than lists designed to exploit a loophole or opening in a fairly open ruleset.

On the whole though its not being an ass to your opponent.

I considered starting a thread about this myself. But wanted to get Doug's input first.

But to me, it's all about the attitude. Win, lose, otherwise. You should treat the other person with respect and kindness. Don't be a jackass. Don't try to force them into bad moves by constantly badgering them if they're done yet. Don't shout with glee when they make a mistake. Don't get pissy if you make one yourself and they take advantage of it.

If there's a disagreement on something try to resolve it fairly and not just what gives you the biggest advantage.

If the other person barrel rolls Howlrunner in front of Wedge at range 1, when she has 2 damage cards already...

Fly Casual is when the Wedge player doesn't say something like "I'm going to <blank> <blank> Howl right in the <blank>!!!" Rather someone flying casual would say nothing or maybe make a light hearted joke about the dice failing him.

Likewise the Howlrunner player is not flying casual if they get pissy about the mistake, ask or worse demand that they take the move back, and then storm off in a huff when you don't let them and Howl dies. Flying Casual means you accept it and move on. Try to win without Howl or if you are truly in a place where you no longer stand a chance offer to concede the game and start a new one.

So to me Fly Casual isn't about what you do or don't do, it's all about the attitude you have.

To me it means that while I do take this game 'seriously' and play it at a competitive level, that there is still room in there to be a decent human being. To not be a jerk, and recognize that I am playing a spaceship game where both me and my opponent want to have a good time. To laugh at my own misfortunes, and understand that in the end, it is only just a game.

It means to me that I want to walk away from a game confident that any of my opponents, win lose or draw, would want to play me again because we both had a positive gaming experience, even at the highest levels of competition.

To quote C-3PO "....here we go again"

a game is only a game if both (or more/all) parties are having fun. If its not fun its just a maths exercise with bits of card and plastic.

To me it means that while I do take this game 'seriously' and play it at a competitive level, that there is still room in there to be a decent human being. To not be a jerk, and recognize that I am playing a spaceship game where both me and my opponent want to have a good time. To laugh at my own misfortunes, and understand that in the end, it is only just a game.

It means to me that I want to walk away from a game confident that any of my opponents, win lose or draw, would want to play me again because we both had a positive gaming experience, even at the highest levels of competition.

What Ed-sed... but without all of the official competitive play stuff.

:)

Also to keep yourself away from BS and or at least stay in check online, even with bad people all around.

:lol:

Don't be a dbag.

If I am flying Casual, am I to play to the best of my abilities?

To me it means: when Luke says he's worried about that command carrier.. we tell Luke to chill out. Then we proceed to tell Chewie that he needs to stay away from it but make it look like he's not staying away from it.

Well i wouldnt say you should throw the game no... but you should be playing in a way that takes as much stress and antagonism out of a scenario/setting as possible.

Dont make silly moves on purpose but equally dont make ones that exploit the ruleset.

Essentially dont do something that would hack you off if it was done to you i reckon.

To me, it means when you look at your armada of ships and you reach for that list that beats everyone and you play all of the time, you reach for something completely off the walls instead.

Nice way of looking at it Goknights12.

I try and fly interesting stuff where possible.

I've got the models to do all the 'killer' lists but sometimes take four Z95s and a HWK for the hell of it.

I'm finding my three ship 'heavy interceptor' list is winning most games for me at the mo (and doing ok vs falcons) so its probably time i took someothing else out that i never normally use like my E wing.

I ignored B wings for ages but my 3B list is as succesful as my squint list so again now i know that works perhaps try and have some fun with Y wings or a wings

If you have designed a list that is very powerful, why would you not want to fly it in a competitive environment? By not taking it, you are not playing to the best of your abilities. just to play devils advocate here.

You should treat the other person with respect and kindness.

+1,000.

Fly Casual means that if someone who wasn't familiar with the game walks by your table, they would see two people having a good time. It means that you should be the kind of player your opponent wouldn't mind facing again, regardless of the outcome.

It means you should treat everyone around you--opponents, onlookers, TOs, FLGS staff, etc.--with respect and kindness.

Absolutely.

Dont make silly moves on purpose but equally dont make ones that exploit the ruleset.

We already have around 40 pages arguing the semantics of what 'exploit the ruleset' means.

Edited by nathankc

If you have designed a list that is very powerful, why would you not want to fly it in a competitive environment? By not taking it, you are not playing to the best of your abilities. just to play devils advocate here.

I'm not talking about competition. I think everyone plays games where it isn't a tournament or anything like that but they still fly their demolish list every time.

Exactly, it would be really boring if i just flew with three red squints every single game.

whats the point of buying all the other ships if you never use them.

To me (unfortunately) it means the guy who always shows up to the big local tournaments wearing the Fly Casual shirt and takes everything way too seriously and is no fun to play or be around.

For me it means to have fun, chat it up with your opponent, learn more about the game, and not to be concerned about winning.

While I to enjoy to win, I usually learn more from a beat down.

Okay, so we have a common understanding about the general idea; where are the differences, and whom should I flame for having a different opinion from mine?

Or should we 'post casually' on this board as well?

For me it means to have fun, chat it up with your opponent, learn more about the game, and not to be concerned about winning.

While I to enjoy to win, I usually learn more from a beat down.

My wife is super competitive at games and a really bad loser. During the early missions of the tantive campaign (mainly because the rules as printed are really awkward and almost rewritten in the FAQ) we were having lots of 'quandries' about the rules but it got to the point where every turn took ages as she contested point after point until i'd read out the section in the rules about five times and she'd read it herself several times. It was giving me a headache and i was all set to go 'sod it, you've won' as it just was not fun to play.

Before last nights game I made it clear it wasnt about winning or losing it was about having some fun time playing a spaceship game and if a rules quandry came up again we'd toss a coin and whoever won could interpret the rule their way until we could look at it in detail post game.

She agreed to this and we had a really chilled out fun game, i lost but enjoyed losing as the game was fun and exciting (but tough for the rebel side), Sian was 'dont you want to play on even though i've technically won' and i was like 'no, lets leave it there after a really fun game'.

Oddly though we had the informal 'coin toss' mechanism in place for potential rows we never actually needed it.

"Fly Casual" to me means a lot of things, many that have already been said here. But to boil it down what it means to me in it's purest form and one word, it's SPORTSMANSHIP. "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

Play fair and play so BOTH you and your opponent have fun. Don't play at less than the best of your abilty and help your opponent play to their best. Play so that when it's all said and done you can both walk away saying, "THAT was a great game."

I believe in the "Fly Casual" motto so much that when I ordered movement templates from Litko that's what I had engraved on them. That's what it means to me.

Yes! You can play to the your best while still not behaving as a DB. There should be no difference between the so-called competitive and casual players.