What should I do with all my 1st edition LCG cards when 2nd comes out?

By SirRule, in General Discussion

Sure, I'm excited... but at the same time I have 4 expansion packs; 6 deck boxes; 5 back-up deck boxes; 1 lunch box; 1 CCG era tin box I got as a door prize and 1 more small tournament box with all of these things full of 'Game of Thrones' cards. These are all things I've gotten within the span of 3 years for myself because I got hooked the moment I started the playing the core set in college. I'd be lying if I said it's not going to pain me to pack these away into a storage-thing somewhere because I won't be able to play this with friends anymore. Any advice?

I can't understand why people would say that. There is a world outside tournaments. I´ve NEVER played in one. I exclusively enjoy gaming with people from my area by simply inviting them to my home and having a good time playing whatever we want to. Both new and old games. Both cooperative and competitive games. It works wonderfully well without referees, because we´re just friends who want to have a good time. Try it. Nobody forces you to throw away your 1st edition cards. If you enjoy the game so much, who's gonna keep you from playing it?

Living in Toronto, there's actually nowhere that I can play 'Game of Thrones' casually. All my friends that play 'Game of Thrones' live in a different city. Thus, all I have are local tournaments which are usually bi-monthly or even tri-monthly if I'm really unlucky.

Rotations come and go, but swag is forever.

Dollars to doughnuts: House Cards, Playmats, deckboxes, and power tokens will continue to be usable and sought-after.

I just hope they keep "15 power" as the win condition, as all the promo power tokens out there come in that quantity.

Edited by Grimwalker

I am kind of gutted by all this. Sure, it is exciting to have a new game coming and I will probably play it, but there is no way in Hell I will commit to it like I have for this one. I was late to the party and have only been playing 7/8 months, but I have bought 3x core, all the house expansions and numerous chapter packs. With the card pool being emptied rather than tidied up I feel very out of pocket, and very annoyed. I game on a budget and I am struggling with how this move encourages me to have any faith in the longevity of any other product line? I am gonna try to sell off some of my AGOT now, and it is very unlikely that I will feel like collecting more than I need for decks from the 2nd Ed. I will likely end up on eBay buying singles for the 2nd Ed, whereas I was without a doubt going to collect everything from the first.

I am struggling with how this move encourages me to have any faith in the longevity of any other product line?

Considering they've talked in detail about maintaining the longevity of their product lines, I'm not sure what you want. The new game is going to enjoy every lesson learned from every LCG that's gone before. They've also gone into great detail about why rotating out half of the AGOT 1st ed card pool is not a good solution to that game's problems.

As far as gaming on a budget, all I can say is, by your own account, you've bought probably north of $400 in 7/8 months. So evidently you've got about $50 per month to spend on gaming. While it sucks to lose your investment--I'm out much more than you since I was 6 chapter packs away from "Pokemon" status--you still have a year to play in this environment and get your money's worth out of your investment. Enjoy it.

And I think you're in a better position than you realize, too. With your budget, you can buy into the new game as it launches, have just as much of the card pool as anyone else, and going forward your monthly costs will be lower than they are now because you're not buying packs from the back catalog. If the first edition were to continue, you'd be worse off competitively, because you don't own everything.

I dare say you're in a much better position than those of us who've sunk more into the game, actually. Count your blessings. It's not like the new game is going to change how much per month you spend on the game and you'll be in a much more competitive position for it.

Edited by Grimwalker

IF this was a sensible company, all those cards would be usable in a legacy or highlander format. But my bet is they are changing the back of the cards thus destroying any chance for a future compatible format.

they've flatly said that the new and old games are mechanically incompatible.

@Grimwalker: Despite all your reasonable reasoning , it still doesn't stop the the sense of dread I have for 1st edition. Sure, I'm going to play the game as long as it lasts but that "grim reaper scythe" is still looming over it. :/

I dare say you're in a much better position than those of us who've sunk more into the game, actually.

Absolutely not disputed! And yeah, I budget, but I work and have a decent disposable income so that is not the issue. The issue is that despite all of the positive reasoning and explanations, I no longer feel like I want to go and dump all of that into AGOT 2nd Ed. Sure, I'll buy in and play, but I suspect that I will try to build decks and acquire individual cards rather than buy releases as they come.

I can't understand why people would say that. There is a world outside tournaments. I´ve NEVER played in one. I exclusively enjoy gaming with people from my area by simply inviting them to my home and having a good time playing whatever we want to. Both new and old games. Both cooperative and competitive games. It works wonderfully well without referees, because we´re just friends who want to have a good time. Try it. Nobody forces you to throw away your 1st edition cards. If you enjoy the game so much, who's gonna keep you from playing it?

+1. It's normal that tournament decks receive updates and change. With the passing of time there are too many cards, too many interactions, too many errata, corrections and FAQ to remember. Updating the system to a newer version will encourage new players to join the party and will give veterans a new battlefield to fight on. Old cards are always good for non-competitive play

The issue is that despite all of the positive reasoning and explanations, I no longer feel like I want to go and dump all of that into AGOT 2nd Ed. Sure, I'll buy in and play, but I suspect that I will try to build decks and acquire individual cards rather than buy releases as they come.

I bought into 1E quite late by most standards: just after the 8th cycle was starting. I evaluated the options for picking and choosing what was in the back catalog, and I noticed you'd basically never be paying less than about $1 per card. And you'll never want to have less than 3x if you're actually buying for a deck.

Guess I never really figured how it was better to spend $10 to give myself 6-9 cards' worth of options (depending on the card) versus paying $15 to expand my possible deckbuilding by 60 cards.

Turn it into a cube draft.

IF this was a sensible company, all those cards would be usable in a legacy or highlander format. But my bet is they are changing the back of the cards thus destroying any chance for a future compatible format.

I find this a tad unfair. When they switched from the CCG to the LCG, they did keep the old backs, and cards were usable in a Legacy format (that hardly anybody ever played btw).

Now that they announced that 2nd edition rules and timing would change sufficiently to render the two editions incompatible, I don't think they should be blamed for introducing new card backs. In fact, I think they *should* introduce those, to avoid confusion.

For people who'd like to try to establish a unified card pool despite the mechanical differences, there's always opaque sleeves.

Same thing as Nick. For some reason, when the devs throw a ball, people will go get it. In our playgroup (that only comes together rarely), there are still so many cards we haven't played, so many decktypes/agenda's we haven't tried, that we can keep the game 'alive' for a long while. The new games will probably only get interesting from 2016 on, so no worries.

I'm pretty sure Stahleck will still have a tourney next year, and probably the year after that, so even competitive players should still be good. Honestly, the OP scene was almost non-existent anyway, so who cares? You can still order their prize packages and use them for this, though the promo's will probably be for 2nd ed.

And the cards will probably be compatible some way or another. I don't think they'll redefine power levels (1 to 5 STR). It's just influence that's gone, and gold that might be over- or undervalued now.

Edited by Marginal0

Yeah, my game group has decided not to move forward with Second Edition, we'll just continue to play what we have as we've invested a lot into that. Instead we'll likely spend money on Conquest ;D

I don't know, yugwen, people I know at FFG have told me that as great as the sales for Conquest have been, the level of interest they got for AGOT 2E beta testers has been shocking. I suspect AGOT 2E is going to take back the crown as the flagship of the LCG line.

I don't know, yugwen, people I know at FFG have told me that as great as the sales for Conquest have been, the level of interest they got for AGOT 2E beta testers has been shocking. I suspect AGOT 2E is going to take back the crown as the flagship of the LCG line.

:P

I still have AGOT CCG cards that I play once in a while with my cousin who also has those cards. Keep them, maybe you'll want to play once in a while for old times sake.

I am struggling with how this move encourages me to have any faith in the longevity of any other product line?

I couldn't agree with you more. The news that came out of their "State of the Union/LCG" regarding Game of Thrones was shocking! I recently started playing Netrunner (my first experience with an LCG/CCG/etc.) and now have no faith in the longevity of this franchise. It got me thinking: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/128047-thoughts-on-a-potential-problem/

I couldn't agree with you more. The news that came out of their "State of the Union/LCG" regarding Game of Thrones was shocking! I recently started playing Netrunner (my first experience with an LCG/CCG/etc.) and now have no faith in the longevity of this franchise. It got me thinking: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/128047-thoughts-on-a-potential-problem/

The whole reason rotation was announced was to prevent the AGoT 1st edition issue from happening to a game like Netrunner ,

i also got almost pokemon status (only missing last cycle) i didn't bought anything of that cycle because i was so mad with the game that i spent so much money and time looking (e- bay & amazon, and local shops) to get all the cards got me insane

i don't live in E.U, so you could imagine my frustration, because amazon charges me more.

but i loved the game, and that is why i would play and collect the new edition as well.

i used to spent $100 to $200 a month hunting for old packs and shipping a few of them at a time (cheaper that way) now the investment might be the same but its $15 $25 a month

for me its a good deal

btw. if someone wants to buy the almost complete 1ed, let me know =P

I have all of the CCG cards and swag ever released - in a big plastic storage bin under my bed.
'Can't for 2.0 so I can do it all over again.

I have all of the CCG cards and swag ever released - in a big plastic storage bin under my bed.

'Can't for 2.0 so I can do it all over again.