wfrp sea battle custom rules

By aterain, in WFRP House Rules

Hello,

I am currently new to the game so here it goes...

I 'm reading quite a few rule books such as (Warhammer Fantasy Battles - ENG - General's Compendium) (Fantasy role play 1st edition and 2cond) as well as the Warhammer Armies and the rules. So what I am currently working on is creating a game gathering quite some mixed features from all the books.
When I came across the Ships on Sea battles I must say there wasn't enough information on any book except the first book that I have posted. So I took the liberty and created some of my own (that is always Ship against Ship and not a full scale attack of 50 against 50 lol) So here it goes.

First figure out the crew for roleplaying purposes. Captain, main characters, rowers, slaves, workers etc.

Rowers 180 slaves
Crew 20
4 Cannoneers
4 on controlling the sail
12 of general work
all 20 crew are fighter, cannot use slaves.

Toughness of Hull 9, [Wounds (damage) 20 (5dmg each hull)] if ship has 5 hulls
Toughness of Ruddler 3, Wound-Damage 6 (example: if 3 damage is taken, that is 50%, meaning of 50% of ruddlers/slaves are dead)
Toughness Rowers 5 Wound-Damage 7
Stern : If cannon hits on Stern, cannon ball can bounce and Damage to Wound a D6 characters (if 6 hits Sails). Roll against Toughness of each player to see the hits.
Sails : Toughness 4 Damage 3, Roll a D4 to see where sails will fall.
1- North 2- south 3-East 4-West
Depending where players are on deck will get a chance of Hit, roll D6
1-2 : gets 1 wound
3-4: covered by the sails and gets 1 round to uncover
5-6: character off board (see swimming and climbing back)

Each Cannon has a BS of 8 and Damage Dice of 4 it takes 1 turn to reload if 2 are handling the cannon it reload immediately when firing cannon cannot aim but only estimate on a percentage

0-20 Stern
20-40 Ruddler
40-60 Rowers
60 - 80 Sails
80 - 100 Hull

If the Hall is hit and there are enough Rowers/Workers, can order them to close down the cabins of where water is entering. 10 workers for 3 turns.

Hulls before sink is 5000Cubic of water. D. elF ship has 5 Hulls of 1000CB each. On a hit, a D100 and multiply 10 to see how much water entered. [1d100*10]

swimming
D4 if 1 character goes under water
Drowning
Champions gets a D6, when +2 resurface
Climbing back abroad
To hold from somewhere, do a strength test, if succeed do a speed (move) test.

To bring an enemy ship to battle both sides roll a D4. The highest scoring side has out-sailed the other and may decide whether to force a battle or not.

OCEAN WEATHER CHART
D6 Result
1-3
Calm Seas.
The ocean remains calm and the ship successfully moves into the tile without hazard.
Becalmed. The winds fail leaving the ship stranded in the sea tile. The ship may only move
out of the tile again by rolling a 6 at the beginning of a subsequent turn. If the ship is
unable to move out if the sea tile before the end of the year it is lost.
Strong Winds. Strong seasonal winds carry the ship way off course. Nominate each tile edge as
1 to 6 and roll a D6. The ship is immediately moved into the map tile indicated. If the ship is
moved off the map playing area then the ship is swept away and lost.
Storm. The ship is overtaken by storms. Roll a D6:
1 Ship capsizes and is lost.
2 Ship loses rigging and drifts around on the currents. The ship may only move at the
beginning of any subsequent turn on the D6 roll of a 4, 5 or 6. The ship may be re-
fitted by visiting any harbour after which it may move as normal.
3 The ship is blown wildly off course. Nominate each sea edge as 1 to 6 and roll a
D6. The ship is immediately moved into the map tile indicated. If the ship is moved
off the map playing area then it is swept away and lost.
4 Heavy weather takes its toll on the crew, any banner carried by the ship suffers
6xDl00 points casualties and any baggage carried is lost.
5 The ship is blown onto a sandbank and becomes stuck fast. The ship must wait for
the next high tide before it can move off. The ship misses its next turn but may then
proceed as normal.
6 The ship weathers the storm and is propelled into a fast oceanic current. The
ship is moved again immediately - the player has no choice but to move as the
current is far too swift to allow the ship to remain where it is.

This is under work, so don't judge to hard... smile.png I didn't do all the damages per percentages, using a D12 as i think its already a bit complicated.
What do you think?

Are these rules for the RPG ? I browsed through it, but it is quite harsh to read and I could not figure if this was designed to be included in a RPG campaign or to be run as a standalone tactical game.

Edited by Thindaraiel

You should probably look into buying the dread fleet captains print on demand set from FFG. I believe that they still have it on sale and it contains a bunch of location cards for ship-based encounters, as well as several sea-based adversaries to pit against your players. Grim and perilous sailing to you!

Indeed, the POD has rules for seasickness, moving in rigging etc. via their location cards. I have used these for my ship-board travel rules (not naval combat) in assigning PC's roles that may modify a "ship pool" for determining if this leg of voyage completed etc.

There were some old 2e house rules, but the site links are down, did anyone save them and could upload a copy somewhere ?

http://wfrp2.blogspot.co.nz/

I'm hoping my campaign the PCs eventually find themselves on the sea of claws and maybe incorporate Dreadfleet characters. If it works out I plan on running a sea battle incorporating the rules from the Dreadfleet miniatures...they are simple and full of color. Awesome minis too!