Beta Update 6

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

Perhaps an idea to revise Healing Trance would be to make it a "once per encounter" healing boost similar to what Invigorate was in the AoR Beta book, with the PC rolling 1 Force die per rank (maximum of their Force rating) and each LS pip restores 1 wound, while each DS pip inflicts 1 strain, with an activation cost of the PC's Action for that turn. This way it's faster healing that what the talent initially offered, but not quite as quick or consequence free as the revision.

I wouldnt say having 1 less force rating for an entire scene is "consequence free"...

For a PC with no combat-relevant Force powers (or is unwilling to use the Harm portion of Heal/Harm because they're trying to be good guys), giving up that single Force die isn't much of a sacrifice, since it's otherwise not doing anything for the player. During the Force and Destiny sessions at GenCon, I saw the Soresu Defender often put his lone Force die towards Force Protection and the Artisan use his lone Force die for Imbue Item, with only the Artisan having a Force power (Enhance) that could otherwise make use of that Force die.

About the over poweredness of Healing Trance, this has been observed elsewhere too I think. From my understanding and reading of the three games, it's easy to notice a trend. EotE has skill focused characters, diversity is the name of the game. AoR has offensive characters, combat is the core aspect of almost all of the characters, they are focused on offensive combat resolution, but less on the diversity you see in EotE. FaD seems to follow on this trend with being not as offensive in their focus, but more defensive, with increased survivability, but with (arguably) less damage output, by which I mean they have less talents about increasing damage and turning them into killer machines.

The above is certainly an over-simplification, but in relation to Healing Trance, and particularly the new end of encounter application rather than full 24 hour day, this mirrors the survivability, the defensive aspect of the game. Which also plays into the notion of how hard it is to kill force users/Jedi.

I really dislike the new version of Healing Trance. I would prefer if they went with a non-committed use one per day (rolled at the same time as natural healing is applied) that heals (rank) Wounds per Force pip generated.

Perhaps an idea to revise Healing Trance would be to make it a "once per encounter" healing boost similar to what Invigorate was in the AoR Beta book, with the PC rolling 1 Force die per rank (maximum of their Force rating) and each LS pip restores 1 wound, while each DS pip inflicts 1 strain, with an activation cost of the PC's Action for that turn. This way it's faster healing that what the talent initially offered, but not quite as quick or consequence free as the revision.

I wouldnt say having 1 less force rating for an entire scene is "consequence free"...

For a PC with no combat-relevant Force powers (or is unwilling to use the Harm portion of Heal/Harm because they're trying to be good guys), giving up that single Force die isn't much of a sacrifice, since it's otherwise not doing anything for the player. During the Force and Destiny sessions at GenCon, I saw the Soresu Defender often put his lone Force die towards Force Protection and the Artisan use his lone Force die for Imbue Item, with only the Artisan having a Force power (Enhance) that could otherwise make use of that Force die.

The characters I have played have primarily had only Sense and Forsee. For Sense especially every force die counts.

'Improved' now seems incredibly OP given the normal interval for critical recovery of 1 week.

I may be wrong but, isn't this interval for natural recovery? I mean, you can try to heal a critical wound with medicine any time right? (I may have to check the rules)

'Improved' now seems incredibly OP given the normal interval for critical recovery of 1 week.

I may be wrong but, isn't this interval for natural recovery? I mean, you can try to heal a critical wound with medicine any time right? (I may have to check the rules)

Medical treatment is one check per character per week per crit. So having a capable doctor is an incredible boon, but he only gets one shot during the adventure per crit.

I find the idea of being in a "Trance" during a combat encounter to be very odd. I know it is a GAME and needs some game rules but the way Force Trance works breaks the narrative for me.

Commit (F). For every encounter (F) remains committed, heal 1 wound per rank of Healing Trance. If you perform no Maneuvers during that time heal 2 wounds per rank of Healing Trance instead.

Edited by Gigerstreak

You're just focusing part of your attention while you're fighting. That's represented by the Force Die you've committed.

You still have enough attention to fight, but not enough to use Force powers.

After reading through the responses I tend to agree that they went to far the other way with Healing Trance Fix. I'm not entirely sure where the happy medium is, but the potential to heal massive amounts of crits and wounds if there's a series of encounters seems a bit overpowered.

Maybe they heal wounds per encounter, but crits only once a day?

That's an easy fix too. it's the crits that become problematic, as one force die provides recovery from them by a couple orders of magnitude.

Medical treatment is one check per character per week per crit. So having a capable doctor is an incredible boon, but he only gets one shot during the adventure per crit.

Indeed, it is just that I am biased by my own group. There is a Mechanic / Medic who after 100 xp has Int 5 and 3 dice in medicine. I have not seen him failing a medicine check in sessions :)

In any case, if you have such a character in your group (which is not that difficult) Healing trance does not seem so overpowered, at least to me.

Perhaps with Healing Trance, instead of the "too slow" rate of 24 hours or the "too fast" rate of every full encounter, perhaps change the wording to "every 6 hours" or maybe even just "every 12 hours." This speeds up the healing rate, but also doesn't make it so that recovering from a critical injury happens too fast (which is an issue with the current wording)

That or change Improved Healing Trance so that the critical injury recovery only happens once per day, so long as the Force user had committed a Force die to Healing Trance at some point during the day.

... I haven't been able to start my group properly yet and no one went for healer - so far, still two players to go - but I'm uncertain about this healing trance being over powered. It only works on the person with the talent, no one else, it doesn't heal a crazy amount of wounds and the critical injury potential is powerful, but I'm not sure it's going to be an unbalancing power, not at all. It still requires a Resilience check (not a career skill for the Healer). Neither do I think it's going to be an auto-go-to tree just because of those two talents. It gives the healer spec an advantage, certainly, but I don't agree that it's overpowered nor unbalancing. As far as I know it only exists in this one talent tree (so far) and it's not a combat focused talent tree at all. It'll give healers a chance to increase survivability and they won't be dependent upon other characters to heal them, nor do they need to perform that many medicine checks on themselves, taking that extra difficulty.

I think it's kind of good as it, not going too far in any direction.

In a system that doesn't really "track" hours or days, a "per day" ability is weird. Keeping it per encounter just makes everything clearer.

Jegergryte put in words what I couldn't really find the time to :)

The Healer tree should have some awesome healing abilities. And now, thanks to the Beta Updates, the healer can heal himself much more effectively, so as to stay in good shape to heal his allies.

The Healer tree should have some awesome healing abilities. And now, thanks to the Beta Updates, the healer can heal himself much more effectively, so as to stay in good shape to heal his allies.

I was thinking it was overpowered, but this is convincing...

I think having a set number of "encounters" in a day/24 hour period is the best way to go. There was mention of 4 encounter periods and that sounds good to me. I'll probably be going with that for a standard day.

I think having a set number of "encounters" in a day/24 hour period is the best way to go. There was mention of 4 encounter periods and that sounds good to me. I'll probably be going with that for a standard day.

I like it when games move "at the speed of plot." This is Star Wars at its finest.

Q: How long does it take to get from Naboo to Iego?

A: How long do you need to make the plot interesting/gripping/exciting? The Millenium Falcon can get there faster.

Q: How high can a repulsor-powered air speeder fly?

A: altitude level of Plot. Much more exciting for snowspeeders to fly close to ground level and for cloud cars to fly miles above the surface of Bespin.

Q: How long does a combat round take?

A: How long do you need to make it interesting?

So...yeah. "Keep your daily powers out of my Star Wars game" :)

I like it when games move "at the speed of plot." This is Star Wars at its finest.

A: How long do you need to make the plot interesting/gripping/exciting? The Millenium Falcon can get there faster.

A: altitude level of Plot. Much more exciting for snowspeeders to fly close to ground level and for cloud cars to fly miles above the surface of Bespin.

Q: How long does it take to get from Mos Eisley back to Anchorhead?

A: Too long to save her.

It's weird how that seems to happen a lot to me. D:

"It's too bad she won't live -- but then again, who does?"

"It's too bad she won't live -- but then again, who does?"

"What's the difficultly to do the thing?"

"How many challenge dice are on the table? Roll em twice"