New Ally Packs

By dpb1298, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

If General Weiss is anywhere close to the quality of my Valyndra miniature, I won't be complaining. I assure you, these minis are going to be much, much better than anything you would've been able to get from WOTC or Wizkids. So, yes more expensive. But, you don't have to deal with the gamble of random boosters.

I remember when WotC used to release 2 new 60-piece sets per year (later they switched to 3 40-piece sets per year). That was about $200-300 per set, so it was approximately $600 per year for most SWM collectors, and many people spent much more than that. It looks like Imperial Assault will be $150-ish for the first wave (assuming Coolstuffinc or MiniatureMarket for purchases), so it's not nearly as bad as SWM. It's still quite a bit of money, especially with the other SW-FFG games that we all enjoy (X-Wing, EotE, Armada, etc).

And as Sithborg said, NO RANDOM BOOSTERS!!! :D

Well they may as well just take my money now, I mean who isn't going to buy at least Han and Chewie!

I'm just going to lessen my X Wing purchases and avoid Armada. Descent will remain, I also have about $400 into it but no more purchases for that.

FFG needs to remember they are canabalizing their own community. They should tread carefully.

Yeah, I was just about to start Star Wars LCG but now I am going to need to re-think that. I hope that new maps will be released later as maybe a large expansion.

I'm just going to lessen my X Wing purchases and avoid Armada. Descent will remain, I also have about $400 into it but no more purchases for that.

FFG needs to remember they are canabalizing their own community. They should tread carefully.

This sums it up perfectly. FFG is the only source for quality SW games, but they are releasing a whole ton of expensive games that are of interest to the same set of people.

They are in competition with themselves, and themselves only.

I'll be cutting back heavily on X-Wing, and even selling off a few pieces. I'll be starting into Armada, but not nearly as much as I would have done. I'm certainly not rushing out to get deeper into the EotE/AoR stuff.

All in all, I doubt I'll be spending any more or less with FFG, but I will be splitting it between 4 products lines instead of 2.

Never thought I'd see the day where I thought we'd have too much of a good thing when it came to Star Wars board/mini/rpg games.

But here is my Two cents...

I'm new to FFG stuff. I only have a few titles. I'm not big on the descent theme but am going crazy waiting on this Star Wars retheme to be released. I have some X-wing stuff but the air combat theme just didn't hit it for me either. However, this game style is SO exciting to me. So they are gaining me and probably a lot of others who are in the same boat.

And for those who are $400+ deep in descent you are probably not going to spend another $400 on descent. You'll probably only spend a few dollars here or there on little expansions. So however you look at it your major spending on that game is over.

You might however spend another $400 on Assault. So although you might slow down what you buy in one line you will probably speed up what you spend on Assault. So they have in essence moved you along to spend more on a new line where the old one (concerning your spending) was waining.

I'm not happy about how they have split all these up into separate packages. But if the price points are true then I'll be okay with it. Because it's a theme I will really love I won't mind spending some every now and then to pick up a new "cool" piece to add to the game. It's collecting, it's fun, it's star wars :)

Edited by jimmyhudson

This is quickly going down a financial road that I can't follow.

I was interested in this game at first, but it now looks like it's quickly becoming a money pit to me, count me out; gonna stick to games I already own and continue to expand those. Man, I hope a Mansions of Madness expansion is in the works for next year!

This sums it up perfectly. FFG is the only source for quality SW games, but they are releasing a whole ton of expensive games that are of interest to the same set of people.

They are in competition with themselves, and themselves only.

I'll be cutting back heavily on X-Wing, and even selling off a few pieces. I'll be starting into Armada, but not nearly as much as I would have done. I'm certainly not rushing out to get deeper into the EotE/AoR stuff.

All in all, I doubt I'll be spending any more or less with FFG, but I will be splitting it between 4 products lines instead of 2.

Never thought I'd see the day where I thought we'd have too much of a good thing when it came to Star Wars board/mini/rpg games.

Boy am I glad that I had enough "cents" to know better than to get into the X-Wing scene. Don't get me wrong, it is a quality product, just too expensive for me. I already own too many miniatures games now and those don't feel the love that they should.

I am a little confused. Why does the base game look any less interesting to so many people just because there are a few miniatures expansions announced ? If it looked exciting when released, what changed? We already knew there were cardboard tokens for some allies and villains. We fully expected new figures getting released similar to Descent's lieutenants because the Darth Vader Villain Pack and Luke Skywalker Ally pack were announced from the beginning to be included in the base game. These new packs don't take anything away from what is in the base set. It will still be just as fun as it looked when it was first announced.

If you're interested in the skirmish game, yeah, maybe this will be a money pit. But if you're interested in the campaign, just get the big box expansions and skip the little ally/villain packs. The game will play the same with the included cardboard tokens as it will with the extra miniatures.

As an aside, I am starting to feel that there is more value in diversifying one's collection instead of being a completionist. This is purely my opinion, but in a cost-benefit system, a new base game seems to me to add a greater proportion of entertainment and novel play time than spending the same amount of money on an expansion for a different game. I'm even considering picking up just the core set of Armada without ever buying an expansion just because it looks like an interesting game that will be different from the other games I have.

I am a little confused. Why does the base game look any less interesting to so many people just because there are a few miniatures expansions announced ? If it looked exciting when released, what changed? We already knew there were cardboard tokens for some allies and villains. We fully expected new figures getting released similar to Descent's lieutenants because the Darth Vader Villain Pack and Luke Skywalker Ally pack were announced from the beginning to be included in the base game. These new packs don't take anything away from what is in the base set. It will still be just as fun as it looked when it was first announced.

I don't disagree with you at all. This stuff only gets me more interested...especially the General which is clearly named after me lol.

But to anyone that is drawn to this as a SW product/boardgame and not of the Descent lineage. They may be expecting a boardgame that is full and complete. Not a product that has an ongoing investment scheme built into it. Think of it like a video game that announces ahead of time they will have release day DLC for the same price as the game. It can rub people the wrong way.

Even boardgame fans that are used to an occasional expansion can be turned off by the FFG investment to collect entire games.

Even if they are used to that business model, as others have said. Many of us are already deep into other FFG products.

I'm hoping they maybe slow or stagger releases a bit between all these products. Give us a chance to save, buy, experience a wave before the next one is on the shelf.

Given past experience with FFG products these will be ludicrously overpriced in the UK/Europe.

It's bad enough we have been forced into a position where we accept the price disparity because we expect it.

X-wing already got out of control with trying to keep up with releases and with this we are looking at the board game equivalent of "day one dlc".

I was excited for this game but this is something I can't in good conscience support as I don't see the value.

It's ok to vote "no" with your wallet once in a while. I believe for a lot of FFG vets you'll see us waiting and watching to see which lines get the love throughout 2015 and 2016 before dropping more tithe :) It's sort of sensory overload right now, which is a good problem to have. Some of us are just being fiscally cautious and wary of the eventual Armada 2E and Imperial Assault: Revised Edition. Can't blame us, really :) I have no doubts I'll be revisiting at some point to see which games were worth their salt and which ones were just an IP milk.

Cheers

And so it begins........Star Wars 40K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....lol. In a way I'm bummed that I have to paint and I'm also glad that I can paint. I'm bummed because I refuse to play any miniatures that are not painted, so I have to paint everything before I can play. I am happy about the price. You can buy a pack at a time and not go overboard like 40k....where a single model cost $23..i'm looking at you Belial...Thankfully I did not go insane with 40k and half my stuff I got for free with amazon points lol.

Edited by klyver

Yeah, I was just about to start Star Wars LCG but now I am going to need to re-think that. I hope that new maps will be released later as maybe a large expansion.

OT but I did buy a bunch of SW LCG kept it for a couple of weeks and then sold it all for half the price paid ... Maybe because Im not a hard core deck builder. I'm big into X Wing and won a tournament AoIA, but I see IA as filling another type of itch.

Logically, the presence of expansions shouldn't discourage us from buying a base game. Unfortunately, I am a completionist. If I am going to buy into a game, I want the whole product range. This is partly due to this simple fact of the board game market: Products do not stay in production forever. If I buy the base game today, but decide to wait two years before buying an expansion, there is a good chance that the expansion will no longer be available except for on the inflated secondary market. This leads me to the simple buying habit of only buying into a product range if I can afford to keep up with the releases. Maybe it's silly, but it's the way I think.

My rambling aside, I do plan to buy this product and all of its expansions the moment I can get my hot little hands on them. At the same time, I fully understand the concerns of others who see the price tag of the add-ons and recoil a bit from buying the base game.

a single unpainted plastic mini and a bunch of cards?

I could by a booster with 5 PAINTED plastic minis for the same price 10 years ago

Aside from the rare you gotta remember the qaulity of the miniatures were awful. I own about 300 star wars minis including a large number of rares and aside from vader and the large models, they look awful, they bend and get stuck in improper poses and the paint jobs are a joke.

FFG is making us paint them yes, but the qaulity over qauntity is the better way to go. I just learned how to paint my spartacus the board game figures and they came out great. So now I am excited to paint the new star wars minis. If you feel you cannot paint them due to time or skill you can always get someone to do it for you. Remember too that this is a board game, most board games come with mini pieces that are not painted and are far less detailed.

The real focus should be on the game mechanics.

I too am glad I held off on buying descent. I was just about to drop $300+ on it when they made the IA announcement.

So yeah, I am very excited.

I am really happy that these are unpainted. It keeps me from buying into the game.

I already limit myself to one of each X-Wing product. So no Tie-Fighter swarms for me. But that still offers me a lot of game.

I could perhaps finance this game as well but it is much easier on my wallet to have a reason not to buy it at all :D

I'm not quite sure why everyone is surprised by FFGs products and their costs. Seems reasonable in comparison to previous releases and the gaming industry as a whole. Don't get me wrong I wish it was cheaper, but I'll still probably get this and most of the expansions. I know several people in my gaming group who are interested in the campaign and the skirmish game.

I have a feeling this game is pretty much going to sell out its first print run instantaneously. It combining its number one property ( Star Wars, see Xwing) with its number 1 board game (descent) and making a skirmish miniature game with tournament support. Unless the rules are just terrible (unlikely) I think FFG will do very well with this game.

a single unpainted plastic mini and a bunch of cards?

I could by a booster with 5 PAINTED plastic minis for the same price 10 years ago

Aside from the rare you gotta remember the qaulity of the miniatures were awful. I own about 300 star wars minis including a large number of rares and aside from vader and the large models, they look awful, they bend and get stuck in improper poses and the paint jobs are a joke.

FFG is making us paint them yes, but the qaulity over qauntity is the better way to go. I just learned how to paint my spartacus the board game figures and they came out great. So now I am excited to paint the new star wars minis. If you feel you cannot paint them due to time or skill you can always get someone to do it for you. Remember too that this is a board game, most board games come with mini pieces that are not painted and are far less detailed.

The real focus should be on the game mechanics.

I too am glad I held off on buying descent. I was just about to drop $300+ on it when they made the IA announcement.

So yeah, I am very excited.

You probably made the right decision. I believe Imperial Assault will provide a more complete experience over Descent 2nd Edition and it's mechanics. I never could buy into the full disclosure rule. Well, that and the fact that the heroes never really die, the Overlord always gets to spawn in another monster when one dies and everyone just ends up feeling like both parties are competing in a race. Truthfully, if I hadn't dropped four-hundred plus dollars on Descent, I would no doubt be purchasing this game.

at first I was kind of shocked that they release a game that is basically a copy of descent, but then I wanted to have it. then I was shocked that they already announced 7 figure packs, but then I wanted to have them. I preordered the whole collection just a moment ago anyway, BUT I think it would be much better for everyone if they released these mini expansions on a monthly basis. this way many people would be looking forward to add just a little bit more to their favorite game and it would not hurt as much as spending all that money at once.

even though you would end up spending a lot of money anyway, I think the feeling would be different and less people would be so "shocked" or "turned off".

Edited by aniedrig

But if they release these packs in waves, rather than monthly, you can order them all at once and save on shipping without falling behind. So different people will benefit from different release schedules.

[ducks for cover]

I know, I know. supporting your local game store is optimal, but circumstances differ for everyone.

at first I was kind of shocked that they release a game that is basically a copy of descent, but then I wanted to have it. then I was shocked that they already announced 7 figure packs, but then I wanted to have them. I preordered the whole collection just a moment ago anyway, BUT I think it would be much better for everyone if they released these mini expansions on a monthly basis. this way many people would be looking forward to add just a little bit more to their favorite game and it would not hurt as much as spending all that money at once.

even though you would end up spending a lot of money anyway, I think the feeling would be different and less people would be so "shocked" or "turned off".

From a production standpoint that may not be feasible.

You know what this whole deal has left me actually wanting? Runewars or Twilight Imperium with a Star Wars skin. This is partly because I don't own those games already, and party because it sounds epic. Would buy.

Edited by GMmL

You know what this whole deal has left me actually wanting? Runewars or Twilight Imperium with a Star Wars skin. This is partly because I don't own those games already, and party because it sounds epic. Would buy.

please not! FFG should at least remain some identity. otherwise they could rename themselves as StarWarsGames.

please not! FFG should at least remain some identity. otherwise they could rename themselves as StarWarsGames.

That ship has already sailed, my friend! This. Is. Just. The. Beginning. :)