New Ally Packs

By dpb1298, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

This is quickly going down a financial road that I can't follow.

100% agree..

This pisses me off, I stopped collecting Descent because it was to much to fast, Game ain't even out yet and already i am behind...

FFG is starting to cannibalize their own customer base. I will be giving up other lines to MAYBE collect this one.

Edited by Atraangelis

They actually look very reasonably priced compared to Armada

Han $9.95

Chewbacca $9.95

Royal Guard Campion $9.95

IG-88 $9.95

General Weiss (can also be a regular AT-ST) $19.99

Rebel Troopers $14.95

Reble Saboteurs $12.95

Edited by dpb1298

padm-crying.png

Yeah, I'm just not sure what this is anymore. At first I thought it was their Star Wars equivalent to Mansions of Madness (which seems awesome), but now it seems to be moving towards something else.

I'll probably try to get all the Ally packs just so the players don't have to play with flat markers representing their allies. I'll be tempted by the Villain packs as well, but I got through Descent 2.0 without buying any of the miniboss minis. I don't think I'll be interested in anything that's not improving a character that's not already in the base campaign game.

Still a bit too much to purchase for my comfort level.

Due to the many comments about the prices I thought I would point out that Miniature Market sells FFG products at a 33.33% discount. The core is up for preorder here http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/41822/s/ffgswi01/

The prices at Miniature Market will be or be around

Core $67.97

General Weiss $13.40

Rebel Troopers $10.02

Reble Saboteurs $8.68

Han $6.67

Chewbacca $6.67

Royal Guard Campion $6.67

IG-88 $6.67

They also have a points system and free shipping for orders $99 and over and they actually ship FFG products on time.

Edited by dpb1298

Yeah, the skirmish game pretty much guaranteed that we were going to get a ton of mini-expansions. I'm not seeing a huge need for these for the normal game, although the Lt packs were interesting.

My only gripe is the lack of different poses. But different molds are expensive so it is not suprising.

It is interesting to see the scum being represented as their own faction with IG-88 to support the Trandoshans and Nexu's.

Due to the many comments about the prices I thought I would point out that Miniature Market sells FFG products at a 33.33% discount. The core is up for preorder here http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/41822/s/ffgswi01/

The prices at Miniature Market will be or be around

Core $67.97

General Weiss $13.40

Rebel Troopers $10.02

Reble Saboteurs $8.68

Han $6.67

Chewbacca $6.67

Royal Guard Campion $6.67

IG-88 $6.67

They also have a points system and free shipping for orders $99 and over and they actually ship FFG products on time.

As a side note please don't take my grumbling about price as a negative criticism of the game itself. I think it looks fantastic, and I don't mean to take away any excitement. What you're seeing is a guy (or 20) that is $400 deep in on Descent 2, in the process of collecting the entire Star Wars rpg line, knee deep in X-Wing, Netrunner, Arkham, the list goes on and on. I just personally can't start collecting another huge product line. Hell, I forgot about Armada... I mean, the bank is just tapped.

For folks who don't own Descent or have been waiting on a sci-fi/fantasy version this is an awesome release for you. With that said please check back 20 packs and 5 box expansions from now and let us know how your wallet is doing :)

Cheers, and good gaming.

I am a little surprised by the prices. I was expecting $8 for the normal pack and $15 for the 'deluxe' packs. But $20 for a new AT-ST? I'm not really digging that. Still, I was expecting these packs and I think I'll go ahead and dive in for the first wave. But as mentioned above, I think I'll have to go the Miniature Market route to afford these. I think I will go ahead and just preorder these 7 ally/villain packs, the dice pack, and the base game along with a bunch of card sleeves. FYI: Not including the card sleeves, that's around $127 from Miniature Market [and free shipping :D ].

One thing that is going well is that the scale continues to be spot on.

Update on my monetary estimate. It looks like 1 each of green and yellow sleeves will cover all 7 packs, so if you add that to the sleeves for the base game, you're getting 3 green and 6 yellow for a total of $17.94 in card sleeves, so my final order will be around $145. Just in case anyone else is wondering about sleeves.

Yeah I ran the numbers as well but forgot to post it here. FFG always tells you to buy one pack of each for each product but you can combine them and save alot of money if you count them up just like you did.

I'm just going to lessen my X Wing purchases and avoid Armada. Descent will remain, I also have about $400 into it but no more purchases for that.

FFG needs to remember they are canabalizing their own community. They should tread carefully.

I'm really glad I held off on Descent.

With this, X-Wing, EotE/AoR/FaD roleplaying and now the new Star Wars Rebels show my Star Wars fix is now complete.

Edited by The Black Man

I'm curious to know if the skirmish game will allow you to use more of the generics than are in one pack.

I would expect so. If I was the publisher I would want the customers to be able to buy as many as they wanted to.

a single unpainted plastic mini and a bunch of cards?

I could by a booster with 5 PAINTED plastic minis for the same price 10 years ago

a single unpainted plastic mini and a bunch of cards?

I could by a booster with 5 PAINTED plastic minis for the same price 10 years ago

Yes, but if you were looking for that one specific rare, you'd probably be paying $10+ to get it as a single.

As for the painting, you're right. But I am looking forward to painting my figures myself.

Edited by Budgernaut