Encounter Ideas

By ElCommi, in WFRP Gamemasters

So my party (against all odds!) have succeeded in finding the resting place of a book of Nagash. Little do they know it is in the Badlands, residing in the (un)resting place of Kemmler and Krell.

This session (should last about 6-7 hours all told) will be the last we run with the current characters - before starting a new campaign.

As such I'd like it to be memorable (and probably very deadly). I don't want to make it a simple: dungeon crawl and would like it to be more... intricate.

Anyone any suggestions? - As before I have access to a bunch of 2nd ed, and almost all 3rd ed (waiting on arrival of Hero's Call) - so even a pre-made encounter which can be tailored would be useful!

Do you have the 2nd edition "Lure of the Lich Lord"? The actual Border Princes supplement is more a "create your own guide" than a gazette, and as far as I know there's not much on actual Badlands.

Terror of the Lichmaster sort of deal? And of course some scene where a scholar shouts out "You must not read from the book!"

I don't have Lure of the Lichlord. :<

I've googled Terror of the Lichmaster - a quick glace suggests its [old] WFB?

I'll give it a real read over tomorrow to see if it's suitable. But yes: The "You must not read from the book!" line definitly seems like it needs to be used!

You can get a pdf of Lure of the Lichlord via RPG now/drivethru etc.

The line is from "mummy movie" (one of my favourites, it's one of those no deep plot but an amusement-ride that takes you along fun ride type movies like Pirates of Caribbean). The plot of that Brendan Fraser movie isn't a bad one to steal for an adventure (undead creature gaining power by tracking down the misfortunates who awakened it, oh perhaps by taking a certain book?)

Lure: at it's heart/climax it's a dungeon crawl (traps and critters and map) in 2nd edition but with some interesting mega-bads (to be blunt, the main villain is better characterized than Nagash is in most texts though still a bit cardboard). The best part is the fix for how PC's read all the Nekharan inscriptions to get the "flavour" (early on they find a rosetta stone like set of parallel inscriptions and an educated PC can use that to decode texts found later).

However before that it's a mini-gazette of a section of the Border Princes with three rival territories where there are cults and plots etc.

Terror of the Lichmaster is old WFB situation with Kemmler himself, it's the situation more than stats etc. that is interesting and the "multiple mini encounters determining odds in final encounter" approach is a good one. It has some nice maps of the region of the situation showing the key features.

Return of the Lichmaster (or just Lichmaster) is an adventure (1989), not same situation.

I love the sound of Lure..
Roughly how long does it take to run ?

Have never run it, just nabbed bits from it at times.

I like the excel file :|
Looks complicated though! I like the idea of lichemaster though. But I've already blown my gaming budget for the month! (Dnd 5th and a Paizo sale :|).
So I've been flicking through some of the stuff I have for 2nd and 3rd;nothing is really striking me just yet. But gotta get a move on. Game is this Sunday :|

Having read through Lure of the Liche Lord. I think I'll be modifying it slightly to run.

My party have had very limited experience with traps so far (At least in WFRP), so I doubt they'll be expecting too much that way. At least at first...

The enemy within has a section on traps if you need 3e comparison.

Thanks for that. I'll have a flick through before I run the game this Sunday. (postponed again)

I need to work on converting some of the loot/monsters to 3rd stats. Any easy guidelines for that? I wa mostly just going to wing it - as I suspect the monsters aren't the real threat.