New group, so lots of questions are bound to pop up.

By Ghaundan, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Heh, I sometimes decline to use it as a Bane and just pretend to make an entery in my notes :P

Edited by Ralzar

If you have Signs of Fairh or the Players Guide, use chaos stars or an excess of banes to make the player roll a resilience check to avoid contracting a disease. Or you can increase the party tension meter and describe how the character gets in the way of another party member or causes problems. Or inflict one of the negative conditions that you have all of those condition cards for. Basically, when pressed for something to do with a die result, the fiddly bits are your friend!

I have neither, I have asked for tips on what to buy first and it seems the four chaos gods are the first things I should get for me and my players.

I LOVED the doom one, and i know my players would expect that to have a real effect down the line. I like it!

Might make a small table for the "mishaps", I don't mind a bit of slapstick, but not too much.

One thing. There's only 1 item card? How are we supposed to know the stats and effects of our items?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Only very specific items have cards. Most items you just write on your character sheet.

If you have some decent card stock printer paper and a good ink supply, I could link you the item cards I made for basic items, or ones thata person did on rpg geek.

Just curious because there's a small section in the book describing various weapons, armour and shields but no way to discern the differences between them? I'm fine with tools not having detailed mechanical descriptions because I can make that out for myself in a narrative driven scene, but what about everything else?

I haven't had time to go indepth yet as my days have simply been packed and last night I invited to players home after an RP session with a RP club we're all part of and we skimmed over some of the cards and books. Our wizard to be was slightly sad the core set didn't seem to support his desire to be a metal/gold mage. I mostly looked in the GM book, so still much to read this weekend.

The item lists in the rulebook is really all you need. Descriptions for how the items look etc is up to you guys to make up. The best example of this is "hand weapon" which can be just about anything. An axe, a mace, a sword, a large knife, a club etc. Does it have fancy decorations? Then it's worth more. Is it exceptionally well-balanced? Then it's a superior item etc.

Okay, great! That's actually kind of like the tabletop then. I haven't had too much time to look at the player stuff, just confused when the players mentioned they found no equipment ratings. Just confused about the various armor and how they work with nothing but fluff. Then again I don't mind a more narrative/loose combat system. Just a bit....confused at how armor works but I'll figure it out during the weekend.

http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/86467/item/1945158#item1945158 found this on RPGGeek, would you say it's fairly accurate?

Also, what would i need to buy to let my wizard friend play a metal mage?

Okay, great! That's actually kind of like the tabletop then. I haven't had too much time to look at the player stuff, just confused when the players mentioned they found no equipment ratings. Just confused about the various armor and how they work with nothing but fluff. Then again I don't mind a more narrative/loose combat system. Just a bit....confused at how armor works but I'll figure it out during the weekend.

http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/86467/item/1945158#item1945158 found this on RPGGeek, would you say it's fairly accurate?

Also, what would i need to buy to let my wizard friend play a metal mage?

I'm a little confused by this. Are you not seeing the damage and armor ratings for equipment, as well as the weapon qualities? Those are all firm mechanics that differentiate weapons and armor. It's in the equipment chapter of the core rules. Did you see that part?

Everything for gold wizards is in the Winds of Magic expansion.

I've only had time to gloss over it, I only recall seeing prices and descriptions.

Alright, I'll defineatly look into aquiring that.

One thing, the core set only has 3 character boxes, does that mean it's only designed for 3 players?

Yes, core set is designed for the GM + 3 players. You will also notice this with sets of basic action cards, conditions and so on. For the 4th player I recommend you the Adventurers Toolkit expansion.

I see, I'll have to get that. Looked over the book now, previously I'd only looked at the armory in a pdf we downloaded to get a headstart on preparing for RP. Checked my own book and here it is, all the stats. Yay!

Right, will just give in and get that too then.

Today is session time! We're going with the adventure in the GM book. It seems well written and I do look forward to it, ALOT of germanic names but we've had those visit before so should be okay. The amount of names however...it might get confusing, but I'm hoping it will work out.

We'll be playing in norwegian, which will be funny as I suck at a german norwegian accent, and I have no idea how to do a norwegian scottish one (dwarves), but I'll figure it out.

One thing: We'll be 4 players, so far we have a metal/gold mage, a zealot and a graverobber. The last guy isn't sure what he wants/should be to help make a decent party. Any ideas?

A social character, perhaps an Agent?

I'll defineatly point it out to him :) Thanks. Agent sounds...like an odd career name for a fantasy setting, but considering alot of this is about investigation it defineatly makes sense to have someone like that.

Well, we had our first session, playing Eye for an Eye, and so far:
My players loved it, then again they're playing A song of ice and fire with a rollplay GM so I think they were mostly happy to get a more narrative and intrigue heavy game...in warhammer fantasy. So it might just be that BUT, the dice system was easy to get into. Most of us had played Edge of the Empire before and the system, and even for the one who hadn't the system was straightforward enough to jump ALMOST straight into.

We made some mistakes, I'm partly to blame as I haven't had much time to read up with other hobbies, work and a sick gf taking up much of my time but I always expect us to make mistakes during the first session. Next time we'll have fewer, but who knows.

Combat was HARD for the group, partially because of my misunderstanding the rules slightly and party due to rolls and the group composition. A wizard apprentice (celestial, I didn't get the book on magic in time so he'll be changing to metal for next session), a gambler, a zealot and a burgher. Mostly with crossbows and simple handweapons. Not made for combat, but I liked it and i think my players did too. It made beastmen seem scary and frankly, they should be. Then again FFG has fudged combat difficulty in other premade adventures and I'm kind of scared what's going to happen to them later on...

The fiddly bits, they take up some space and it would probably be just as easy to write it down on a character sheet, but the mechanics seem good and I LOVE the NPC standups, they make for excellent map markers to help players memorise where npc's are and themselves.

One question: the wizard was a bit worried how he was supposed to function, what his niche was as it were. He didn't feel all that powerful in combat, and mentioned that even bright wizards don't seem that good compared to others. So, what should he try to do? He loves the cantrips tho, i can say that much easily.

One question: the wizard was a bit worried how he was supposed to function, what his niche was as it were. He didn't feel all that powerful in combat, and mentioned that even bright wizards don't seem that good compared to others. So, what should he try to do? He loves the cantrips tho, i can say that much easily.

Wizards can be a bit less powerful (in combat) early on, but often make up for it later with their higher ranking spells.

Mostly though Wizards are cool because they often have access to special abilities that no one else have, like teleportation, flying, invisibility, shapechanging and other fun stuff. They can be a really great asset outside of combat (as well as in combat at times), and a creative player can do lots of very cool stuff with it. Most winds of magic are less powerful in direct combat damage than a trained fighter/archer/etc in combat, but I feel they make up for it in versatility and style.

So try to get the player to focus on the other cool stuff wizards can do, that no one else can. Anyone can do a lot of damage in combat, but few can turn into a bird at will.

Edited by k7e9

The wizard to start with is interesting because it's really just another career like rat catcher or forger or gambler. The wizard knows about magic and can do some cool things with it but his niche isn't so much "the wizard" as it is figuring out how to make his character background useful for the group. A celestial wizard is all about predicting the future, gambling, stargazing, and the weather. The gold wizard is going to be more into alchemy, strange chemistry, metallurgy, and money. Have your player consider what existing interests or abilities drew him to the gold wizard order for roleplay.

When it comes to combat niches, wizards don't really get a lot of amazing stuff until higher levels. The gold wizard will get some action cards to help against armored opponents, but isn't going to be doing battlefield control like a D&D wizard. Characters whose niche is combat are going to be the ones really excelling with it, and the wizard will have to focus his limited resources where they'll be most useful and consider getting some good actions or talents if he wants to do more in combat. Also, keep in mind that there's an under-utilized rule that players can spend a fortune point to declare something narratively, such as a found gun being already loaded. If the wizard or someone else has a skill that only works on a specific type of enemy, feel free to either have there be one or to allow the player to spend a fortune to declare that one of the enemies is that type.

What rules were you messing up as you went along? One of the most easily forgotten seems to be adding toughness AND armor to soak.

Actually, "I" messed up the toughness and armor soak on my ungor henchmen because I managed to confuse myself about that when i also read about soak. Just a minor issue with me reading, talking to gf and then reading again. It got comparmentalised and thus completely wrong. Also, Gor's are REALLY tough for a party with no real combat characters.

We somehow also managed to misunderstand parts of the dice pooling in combat, the difficulty/misfortune dice but it still ended up MOSTLY right, just for the wrong reasons.

And we kind of misunderstood how to use the party special ability.

I have to say I really liked the party tension meter and the progress tokens, it keeps players focused and hear one player say "guys, tension meter just went up" and both players stopping and figuring out they should keep going instead of arguing was rather fun.

Progress meter REALLY kept players focused on the adventure and removed red herrings, which is good as it can easily end up as feeling like a waste of time or even end in a dead end as they've discarded real clues. Need a bit more work in knowing when to move the cultist tracker up to not make it too obvious, but a decent system.

Actually, "I" messed up the toughness and armor soak on my ungor henchmen because I managed to confuse myself about that when i also read about soak. Just a minor issue with me reading, talking to gf and then reading again. It got comparmentalised and thus completely wrong. Also, Gor's are REALLY tough for a party with no real combat characters.

We somehow also managed to misunderstand parts of the dice pooling in combat, the difficulty/misfortune dice but it still ended up MOSTLY right, just for the wrong reasons.

And we kind of misunderstood how to use the party special ability.

I have to say I really liked the party tension meter and the progress tokens, it keeps players focused and hear one player say "guys, tension meter just went up" and both players stopping and figuring out they should keep going instead of arguing was rather fun.

Progress meter REALLY kept players focused on the adventure and removed red herrings, which is good as it can easily end up as feeling like a waste of time or even end in a dead end as they've discarded real clues. Need a bit more work in knowing when to move the cultist tracker up to not make it too obvious, but a decent system.

May I ask what parts of the dice pool and fortune/misfortune dice were giving you trouble? The main thing to remember about an attack is that when the action card says "against target defense" you start with 1 challenge/purple die, and then add any additional challenge or misfortune dice printed on the card, as well as a number of misfortune dice equal to the targets defense. If the card says "against target toughness" or something like that, you use the rules for an opposed roll and add any dice depicted on the card. Misfortune and fortune dice are basically there for you as a GM to add in minor things like low light, bad positioning, being surrounded, etc. Don't be afraid to give out misfortune dice to most rolls, because lots of talents are built around being able to ignore or reduce misfortune. Also, for the perform a stunt action, don't be afraid to add extra challenge dice to things that seem like they're much better than doing a basic action. For example, if a player wants to punch two people at once, give him an extra challenge die, add the defense of both opponents, and have the result just be flat damage to both.

Which party special ability were you using? Also, did you use the initiative system for the game where after rolling initiative slots, any player can choose any slot that was rolled each round? It's a really cool mechanic that lets players cooperate a lot better and set up interesting combos.

Do your players know what the cultist tracker is for? You can tell them it represents time. If you're supposed to move it up after the players question a cultist, wait to do so until a while later while the players are doing something mundane. Or you can have a second tracker you keep hidden from the players. Or you can even add another tracker that you just move up at random to throw the players off.

Edited by Nimsim

Mostly my problems were: How to produce the correct dicepool. My players had a good handle on how to build their side of it, so did I. But negative dice we got a bit mixed up and i was a bit uncertain if I made the NPC dicepools correctly. If anyone could give me a readers digest of how to make the dicepools I'd appreciate that, just to clear up confusion and misconceptions. As I'm running eye for an eye making an ungor or gor dicepool for any of the attacks, and vice versa, what negative dice do i apply to the players on top of the 1 difficulty dice for a regular attack and dice indicated by an action card.

I did! It ended with the players earning party tension as they bickered on who should go when. The guy who got rammed by the gor wasn't amused. The wizard was.

I have explained it, i also wait until awhile after so there's no direct correlation otherwise it becomes cartoony. Simple time forcing the tracker forward is obviously also something that will happen.

Edited by Ghaundan

Using an action against an NPC:

Actions are divided into three types, "vs Defense", "Skill vs Skill" and "Skill"

"vs Defense"

Add 1 purple dice, any dice listed on the card and as many Black dice as the NPC has Defense. Then consider having the NPC use the Dodge, Parry or Block actions to add additional dice.

"Skill vs Skill"

Refer to the rules for Opposed Skill Checks. Then add any dice listed on the card.

"Skill"

Add any dice listed on the card.

In addition to the stuff mentioned above, feel free to add aditional white/black dice for any reasons you make up or by using the aggression/cunning points of the NPC

Edit the exact same rules apply when an NPC uses an action against a player. Remember to convert blue dice into red/green if the NPC has a stance noted.

Edited by Ralzar

Thank you! I think I'll read over the npc skill section one more time this weekend to make sure I'm making the npc's dicepools correctly.

Thank you! I think I'll read over the npc skill section one more time this weekend to make sure I'm making the npc's dicepools correctly.

Do you have an example of an NPC skill or action you wanted to use and had trouble with the dicepool for?