Dueling Pistol Cost -

By Lukey84, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Book says duelling pistol for 750, so it's a duelling pistol for 750. Typically sold in pairs so 1,500 for the both. But I would throw in a nice case with those for free. :)

As others have said, it's actually a good weapon and fluff-wise, it's aimed at nobility near the core. 750 is nothing.

So the OP quoted the book wrong? That's fine, and BTW typically you by a pair of shoes not just one because typically shoes come in pairs, and the cost is for the pair. But hey other posters have stated the chart does not specify. Guess it's all in how you read the book.

The chart says pistol, singular. Description says "typically sold as a matched pair". Nothing about "always sold" or "the cost in the chart is for two".

All that happened here, is that the developers did not want to mess up their standard layout for a chart that always detailed singular weapons in every other case, and also did not want to unnecessarily restrict purchase options. They could either introduce a one off special case into their chart formatting and add even more text in the description stating that even though the chart lists two items you can actually halve what it says in the chart and buy one singly. Or they could just add a line in the description saying "typically" they're sold as matched pairs.

The latter is simpler both in length and layout. If they'd chosen otherwise we'd now be having even more threads with people asking if you could buy them singly and asking if "Pistols(2)" meant that the damage listed was for both of them and if as well as cost you should halve damage and all that other stuff.

Book says pistol. Description says "typically" sold as a matched pair. Not sure what there is to argue about.

As to "you don't just buy a single shoe". Well the description doesn't say "always" sold in matched pairs. Shoes are not pistols.

Alright. I'm going to settle that the chart is for 1, and you can buy a 2nd for the same cost. Thanks!

Alright. I'm going to settle that the chart is for 1, and you can buy a 2nd for the same cost. Thanks!

It's up to you but I think that is RAW and they're a serious bargain if they're 350 each.

Plus...

34y8y9d.jpg

"Pay less than 750 credits for a pistol? How would I ever show my face on Coruscant again?"

Edited by knasserII

Book says pistol. Description says "typically" sold as a matched pair. Not sure what there is to argue about.

As to "you don't just buy a single shoe". Well the description doesn't say "always" sold in matched pairs. Shoes are not pistols.

The description says "almost invariably", which is a bit weightier than "typically", but I agree there is little to argue about. Either way seems fine to me.

From the book:

Coronet Arms Dueling Pistol

Crafted by Coronet Arms, a small weapons manufacturer known for producing high-quality blasters, these dueling pistols are almost invariably sold in pairs. Though illegal, dueling has a long history on Corelia, where honor often trumps law. Dueling pistols are virtually useless at any great range, the cohesion of their particle streams quickly dissipating, but these deadly accurate blasters are meant to used at close range. Since a single shot is all that is permitted in a duel, the power packs only power one blast, but that shot will almost invariably be lethal.

Name | Skill | Dam | Crit | Range | Encum | HP | Pric | Rarity | Special

Dueling Pistol | Ranged (Light) | 9 | 2 | Short | 2 | 2 | 750 | 5 | Accurate 1, Limited ammo 1, Pierce 1

My vote? Fluff text is fluff, otherwise we could argue by the fluff they're usable at Close Range... which is L

The description says "almost invariably", which is a bit weightier than "typically", but I agree there is little to argue about. Either way seems fine to me.

Shoes are an item pistols are an item, see the definitions of invariably and typically on the links I posted. Typically shoes are sold as a pair per the definitions. Would you buy just one shoe? No, not unless you have only one leg and no prosthetic. Typically you would where the right shoe on the right foot and the left on the left.

Definition of invariably is constant

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/invariably

Definition of typically is the same a invariably or combining or exhibiting the essential characteristics of a group < typical suburban houses, This means more often than not.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/typical

Seems the chart and the description does not match. If you post exactly what the chart says it would help, as it seems like a typo or 2 of the devs were not talking before print.

Lukey you made your choice, It seems like you as the GM should make the final decision.

The chart and the description match just fine. It doesn't say typically they sell for 750 it just says they are usually sold in pairs ergo the chart shows the price for one just like every other item (else wise it would say dueling pistols or dueling pistolx2 or something to that extent). There's nothing in the description I can see that might specify otherwise as the only place a price is mentioned is where it's listed as singular instead of plural. So "typically" I think a player would be paying 1,500 to a merchant and get two pistols but in the rare case they just want one they'd buy one for 750

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord

DBL the problem is you just quoted the book just as others have quoted the it with 3 different answers, it seems that no one can give an accurate answer and without seeing the book (if I had it I would have scanned the page and then copy/paste it here like the quote evileyore seems to have done). 1 quote says typically the other says invariably, and another says the chart says this but no quote now you say that's not what the book says at all. Guys, I am curious, and I have asked this before, What exactly does the book say? (scan the chart and the description). Talk about muddying the waters for the OP. Typically you can get a straight answer when someone says they copied it straight out of the book.

I typed that straight from the book... but whateves, you need a scan?

Here: Untitled_zpsb234b44a.png

I typed that straight from the book... but whateves, you need a scan?

Here: Untitled_zpsb234b44a.png

Thank you evil, now the chart does not say anywhere that the dueling pistol purchase is singular (why would dueling pistols have an encumbrance of 2 also when all pistols that are light have encumbrance of 1? This pistol is only single shot and the ones with 2 enc are heavy and hold more ammo.), and the description states invariably (Definition of invariably is constant) sold in pairs. My conclusion is that the price of 750 is for the pair. No fluff, no doubt, it is there in black and white, blue, gray. So where is the question?

I apologize if this was over the top, but I am a book person, and I do understand what fluff is.

Edited by Osprey

DBL the problem is you just quoted the book just as others have quoted the it with 3 different answers, it seems that no one can give an accurate answer and without seeing the book (if I had it I would have scanned the page and then copy/paste it here like the quote evileyore seems to have done). 1 quote says typically the other says invariably, and another says the chart says this but no quote now you say that's not what the book says at all. Guys, I am curious, and I have asked this before, What exactly does the book say? (scan the chart and the description). Talk about muddying the waters for the OP. Typically you can get a straight answer when someone says they copied it straight out of the book.

Someone could also shoot an email Question to the Devs and post it in the big "Dev answers" thread...

DBL read the post right above your's

Could the "s" have been left off of pistol?

The description title also shows it is singular, but then you get into the description it's self and It says "dueling pistols are sold invariably in pairs"

Edited by Osprey

I typed that straight from the book... but whateves, you need a scan? Here: Untitled_zpsb234b44a.png

Thank you evil, now the chart does not say anywhere that the dueling pistol purchase is singular (why would dueling pistols have an encumbrance of 2 also when all pistols that are light have encumbrance of 1? This pistol is only single shot and the ones with 2 enc are heavy and hold more ammo.), and the description states invariably (Definition of invariably is constant) sold in pairs. My conclusion is that the price of 750 is for the pair. No fluff, no doubt, it is there in black and white, blue, gray. So where is the question?

I apologize if this was over the top, but I am a book person, and I do understand what fluff is.

Sure. That would mean you would need both pistols to do damage and all the rest. Since the stat block is for both.

Evil's suggestion and yours would be a good thing to do. Just worried that the errata would be bottomless at this point in time. But best to check before bothering the devs. I am sure that this could cause a lot of confusion, and the OP had a great idea about having them wrist mounted to throw pursuit of until cover could be found and a more suitable weapon could be used. Just trying to justify the most bang for the buck for him.

Sure. That would mean you would need both pistols to do damage and all the rest. Since the stat block is for both.

And I thought about that also, Devs could have done a better job with this one (they have done a great job with everything else)

I looked at Errata and the DEV answered questions doing a cntrl F on each page for dueling and nothing came up.

Any idea how to get a message to the Devs?

its possible but if that's not an error then the raw would be singular very clearly. Check the errata perhaps?

That's where we disagree for me raw in the description "almost invariably" means 90% of the time not 50%.

Let me tell you about this new shoe style that came out, it is called Nike Sacked Romos. These shoes are awesome at slowing you down and making you get sacked a lot.

I can go with a single dueler at 750, but like I said I was trying to get the OP the most bang for the buck. Stats are for a single pistol just don't agree that the price is/should be set that way. That is a lot of creds for one shot and then a reload. Merc is right, if the stats are that way then they would be cut in half and now the pistols don't do as much damage.

So I am convince that the price is set at single, just don't agree with the price.

Any idea how to get a message to the Devs?

Up at the top:

"More..." ->"Customer Service..."->"Rules Questions"

its possible but if that's not an error then the raw would be singular very clearly. Check the errata perhaps?

That's where we disagree for me raw in the description "almost invariably" means 90% of the time not 50%.

Let me tell you about this new shoe style that came out, it is called Nike Sacked Romos. These shoes are awesome at slowing you down and making you get sacked a lot.

I can go with a single dueler at 750, but like I said I was trying to get the OP the most bang for the buck. Stats are for a single pistol just don't agree that the price is/should be set that way. That is a lot of creds for one shot and then a reload. Merc is right, if the stats are that way then they would be cut in half and now the pistols don't do as much damage.

So I am convince that the price is set at single, just don't agree with the price.

As for the stats to cost that's all an assumption the problem here is we have the raw clearly stating pistol not pistols and while the cost may seem like a lot (and I agree it is) that doesn't indicate there are two, merely that dueling pistols are expensive.

Now as to why they might be expensive (and mind you this has no bearing on the RAW) this is, I'd think, pretty obvious. Dueling pistols are not designed to be practical heavy weapons they are meant to be to settle disputes of honor amount at the wealthy so I don't find it surprising that simple pistols designed to be perfectly identicle and likely ornate would be on the pricier end.

Anyways while I fully understand wanting to house rule things that seem unreasonable or less functional I'm just a big supporter of clarifying what's RAW and what isn't and unfortunately unless there was a typo in the price guide of a missing s I don't see how this would, by RAW, cover two pistols.

Actually, since he mentioned it, it's the 2 Encum that has me thinking he might be right about it being a pair of Pistols at 750.

I figured they where just bulkier (possibly a longer barrel which would account for accurate)

Would seem a bit arbitrary to split the enc and not the rest of the stats without noting it somewhere. Guess we'll need a dev answer

The point I am making is that although there is not an S on the end of pistol does not mean that the price is for a single, as you need to combine the description and the chart to have raw (hate to say this but it is like a christian quoting one verse out of the bible and ignoring other quotes that clarify), but the description states that they are almost always sold in pairs. Which clarifies the rules as written. One s missing of a item does not constitute a single pistol when the description states that they are ALMOST ALWAYS sold as pairs. The description by definition should be clarifying what most likely should happen which in this case what you are getting. I don't agree with your thoughts on shoes, my grandmother had one leg and bought one shoe all the time. You should have seen the sales person's face when it happened. It caused confusion. You want to quote raw at this time then you need to look at the bigger picture. The description, which is clarification of dueling pistols, and the chart, which shows price and stats, do not jive. To me looking at the description 99.9% percent of the time the duelers are sold as a pair, not 50% or less. So to me the devs should have priced it as a pair but showed the stats for one. It would have been as simple as saying that in the description.

The common sense on this discussion is cutting the rest of the stats which are clearly for a single pistol and that's where I turn to you are correct because of the rest of the stats. It is not cost effective to cut all of those stats and charge that much.

It is a specialty item. It is a single shot accurate pistol used in duels. If the cost seems high it is for a reason. These weapons tend to be extremely well made hence the reason they have the Accurate quality. There's no reason a single shot specialty pistol should cost less than other pistols. You don't buy it for a regular sidearm unless you are going for a certain cachet like Emil Fouchan of the movie Hard Target with his Thompson Center Arms Contender .

400px-ThompsonCenterContender.jpg