Dueling Pistol Cost -

By Lukey84, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The Suns of Fortune book states that Dueling Pistols are typically sold in pairs. Does that mean that the base price listed of 750 would give me 2 dueling pistols?

I'm thinking about adding a wrist-mount and narrating it as a wrist-crossbow.

I take it to mean they individually cost 750, but will typically be available in pairs for 1500. Sounds like a good reason to add a setback or two when shopping for only one....

Talk to your GM, but I would rule that's the price for just one. And as the ghost says, there would probably be some difficulties in acquiring just one pistol.

Yeah, 750 for a pair of dueling pistols just sounds like way too good of a bargain, even if it only has a limited number of shots.

750 for a pair of single shot pistols...seems fair to me. Especially considering you can get 2 blaster pistols for 800 and not have the ammo limitation. Compare 375 as a cost to the other blaster pistols.

If the book says that they come in pairs and the cost is 750 then a pair costs 750. Like Daeglan says, they are single shot so limited ammo, so why pay more?

Sounds like a good wrist mount weapon to me. Some thing happens and you need to shoot in a pinch to get to immediate cover and have one on each wrist, that's 2 shots to put the baddie's head into cover and draw the real deal and fight from there. Kinda like a derringer in the old west, couldn't hit the broad side of a bantha (throwing it would be more accurate) but definately make your adversary think about moving closer and possibly finding cover.

*edit* The dueling pistles would be more accurate, I am just talking about limited ammo.

BTW dueling pistols are supposed to match exactly so there is no question of a fair duel therefore they come in pairs.

Why not tinker/invent mini bowcasters if you are going to narrate them as that anyways?

Edited by Osprey

BTW dueling pistols are supposed to match exactly so there is no question of a fair duel therefore they come in pairs.

Why not tinker/invent mini bowcasters if you are going to narrate them as that anyways?

Because why reinvent the wheel if you have a perfectly serviceable item right there in the book? reskin and they are mini bowcasters.

I can see that.

Energy_Slingshot.png

Sorry went into D&D Drow mode, and was thinking a regular crossbow from there instead of a bowcaster

750 for a pair of single shot pistols...seems fair to me. Especially considering you can get 2 blaster pistols for 800 and not have the ammo limitation. Compare 375 as a cost to the other blaster pistols.

That's what I was thinking. Most of the other pistols in the book are 300-500.

Yeah, 750 for a pair of dueling pistols just sounds like way too good of a bargain, even if it only has a limited number of shots.

So you're thinking that 750 for a single shot at Short range seems reasonable?

I don't have my book in front of me but a rifle is 900? and wil get you unlimited shots, multiple HPs, the same base damage, and Long range.

There is no question in my mind that the 750 will get you a matched pair of pistols and probably a ornate little box to keep them in. Maybe even a small horn of black powder and two master-crafted slugs with "VALAR MORGHULIS" stenciled into the casings.

Hell, I'd let a PC put 'Bad Mother ******' on the barrel and reload it for maybe 500 cR. It's a fun weapon that I'd want a PC to get invested in. You could have a Nemesis like the Galla-somebody Han Solo dueled with in one of the Legacy novels. That'd be a great showdown and the PC would be really tense to get a strong roll because he'd only have the one shot to down him.

How about Damage 9 (on par with a blaster rifle and blaster carbine), Crit Rating 2 (better than any legal ranged weapons by default), Accurate 1 and Pierce 1. Throw on a filed-front sight for 50 credits to get Quick Draw as an innate talent, and it's pretty **** good weapon for 800 credits total, doing at least 10 damage on that one shot with a good chance of scoring a critical injury since you're rolling against one difficulty die and have a boost die for free, a second one for using the Aim maneuver since the afore-mentioned attachment lets you draw the weapon as an Incidental, and you get to ignore a point of the target's Soak Value for even more damage potential.

In comparison, a standard blaster pistol as nowhere near that kind of performance, with the only benefits being longer range (Medium vs. Short) and needing a Despair to run out of ammo, and that costs 400 credits vs. the 375 that some of you seem to think that a dueling pistol costs.

In the same book, we've got the Explosive Tipped Arrow s and Stun Arrow s , both of which are noted to be one-shot items and even have the Limited Ammo 1 quality. Every other weapon in every other book has been listed as single instance of that weapon so I'm not seeing where Dueling Pistols are an exception to this. Not even the Vamblades in Dangerous Covenants has such a thing, with the chart listing a single vamblade, and the text for the weapon including specific rules for when a PC has purchased two of them for 1000 credits (500 each).

Plus, you've got Sam Stewart, aka the Lead Designer for all three game lines, having said that often times the fluff text is just fluff text , and as such shouldn't be taken as being unadulterated gospel unless it mentions specific rules conditions like the previously referenced vamblade. Plus, not every new weapon is going to be a superior bargain to what's in the core rulebooks. In fact, when Suns of Fortune came out, there were several complaints that most of the weapons frankly sucked in comparison to those in the core rulebook.

So you're thinking that 750 for a single shot at Short range seems reasonable?

I don't have my book in front of me but a rifle is 900? and wil get you unlimited shots, multiple HPs, the same base damage, and Long range.

We’re talking about dueling pistols. The kind of thing that might be used by certain members of the landed gentry on a planet that likes to think of itself as reasonably advanced and civilized. That kind of person would have plenty of money to buy whatever kind of dueling pistols they wanted.

So, yeah — I’d actually think that Cr 750 for a single dueling pistol would be a reasonable price for that target audience. Double it for the matched pair, and double it again to include the fancy box that they come in. Then double it again for the profit of the dealer, because they’re a high margin/slow moving item.

I think you get the idea.

Now, that said, if you didn’t care that they were a matched pair because you were just going to strip them for the parts to make your own wrist-mounted blaster(s), then you might be able to cut some sort of a deal — if you found the right dealer.

The Suns of Fortune book states that Dueling Pistols are typically sold in pairs. Does that mean that the base price listed of 750 would give me 2 dueling pistols?

Um...guys, Lukey84 stated above that the the pistols are typically sold in pairs and the price listed is 750 (per SoF). There is no doubt in my mind that's what the Devs meant. So a single dueling pistol is 375. The point of dueling pistols coming as a pair is so there is no modifications done to them and they are both exactly equal in capabilities. If i choose to use my multiple shot hold out blaster against a dueling pistol and my adversary turns and misses then I have all the time and ammo in the world to ensure he/she/it goes down in a blaze of glory. A PC/NPC challenges me to a duel and I have what I have and he has a pair of dueling pistols then the odds are even. The proctor then inspects both the pistols and determines that they are both equal, let the duel begin and the best man win. Hence single shot pistols typically being sold in pairs as the SoF clearly states so there is no unfair advantage. I would never have asked this question because to me it is NOT fluff and I believe the OP has stated it as written in the book and that's what the devs meant.

I meant i get one dueling pistol and he gets the other then the odds are even.

It stands in singular on the table 3:1 in sons of fortune. It's the cost for 1 pistol.

Book says duelling pistol for 750, so it's a duelling pistol for 750. Typically sold in pairs so 1,500 for the both. But I would throw in a nice case with those for free. :)

As others have said, it's actually a good weapon and fluff-wise, it's aimed at nobility near the core. 750 is nothing.

I totally agree with knasserII above, and others. 750 (or 1500 for two) is a no brainier for a fancy pistol to uphold your honor with for the core world nobles.

Plus, you've got Sam Stewart, aka the Lead Designer for all three game lines, having said that often times the fluff text is just fluff text , and as such shouldn't be taken as being unadulterated gospel unless it mentions specific rules conditions like the previously referenced vamblade. Plus, not every new weapon is going to be a superior bargain to what's in the core rulebooks. In fact, when Suns of Fortune came out, there were several complaints that most of the weapons frankly sucked in comparison to those in the core rulebook.

That is a valid point and I don't hold my opinion strongly enough to really disagree. I actually tend to think people generally take the fluff text too seriously. My stance here is based primarily on the way dueling pistols are always shown in movies and books. The idea of going to a merchant and asking for an unmatched dueling pistol strikes me as slightly absurd; on par with going to Footlocker and attempting to buy a single left shoe. I imagine if we posed the question to Sam, he would come down on the side of the fluff just being fluff and it's probably a single pistol. It just makes more sense to me to have them paired, but that's just like, my opinion man.

I don't have the book in front of me but is it listed as Dueling Pistol or Dueling Pistols in the price list?

Because, unless it's a typo, if it's the former then it's for one and the later it's for two. You know, cuz grammar.

As I pointed out earlier, they are worded in singular in the weapons table. It says Pistol, not Pistols.

Grammar, yes. All hail the mighty grammar, conqueror of ignorance! ;)

How about Damage 9 (on par with a blaster rifle and blaster carbine), Crit Rating 2 (better than any legal ranged weapons by default), Accurate 1 and Pierce 1.

Don't forget that all Limited Ammo 1 means is that you have to spend a maneuver to reload it. (Some would say you have to at least buy the 25 cr 1 encumberance ammo reload first.) A lot of maneuvers in combat are used to aim, which gives a blue die. This gun has Accurate, which gives a blue die. If you ask me, it's no issue to fire this weapon every turn. You're just spending your maneuver on reloading instead of aiming.

Book says duelling pistol for 750, so it's a duelling pistol for 750. Typically sold in pairs so 1,500 for the both. But I would throw in a nice case with those for free. :)

As others have said, it's actually a good weapon and fluff-wise, it's aimed at nobility near the core. 750 is nothing.

So the OP quoted the book wrong? That's fine, and BTW typically you by a pair of shoes not just one because typically shoes come in pairs, and the cost is for the pair. But hey other posters have stated the chart does not specify. Guess it's all in how you read the book.

If the chart specifically states 750 for one pistol then that is the cost. If the book states typically sold in pairs and the chart does not state specifically that it is the price of a single pistol then it is sold as a pair is all I am saying. I do not own SoF and am going by what others have stated in their posts. The OP post and then others stating that the chart is not specific on how many pistols the price is for. So clarity on what the book states would be appreciated. Seems some forum users are not very clear on what they are posting at times. Like starting a thread just entitled Question and nothing else.

Knasserll you are very correct in saying that nobles purchasing the pistols is fluff but someone else stated that the "typically" quote was the fluff.

From the book:

Coronet Arms Dueling Pistol

Crafted by Coronet Arms, a small weapons manufacturer known for producing high-quality blasters, these dueling pistols are almost invariably sold in pairs. Though illegal, dueling has a long history on Corelia, where honor often trumps law. Dueling pistols are virtually useless at any great range, the cohesion of their particle streams quickly dissipating, but these deadly accurate blasters are meant to used at close range. Since a single shot is all that is permitted in a duel, the power packs only power one blast, but that shot will almost invariably be lethal.

Name | Skill | Dam | Crit | Range | Encum | HP | Pric | Rarity | Special

Dueling Pistol | Ranged (Light) | 9 | 2 | Short | 2 | 2 | 750 | 5 | Accurate 1, Limited ammo 1, Pierce 1

My vote? Fluff text is fluff, otherwise we could argue by the fluff they're usable at Close Range... which is silly.