The Sniper Troll: a Warhammer: Diskwars Blog

By TheSniperTroll, in Warhammer: Diskwars

The Troll is back from the summer holidays with some new goodies for you:

First of all, we have the Skaven lore article , followed as always by a sample army list featuring the devuous ratmen supporting a Chaos regiment.

Also, for all my Italian friends, I have finally got my hands on the localized copies of the two expansions, and I took the time to translate the article describing the new keywords.

Have you experimented with alternate scenarios other than the objective cards?

Alas, not yet... that's why I never posted an article about the special scenarios (I don't want to discuss something I don't know about), but I'm going to. I promise.

Alas, not yet... that's why I never posted an article about the special scenarios (I don't want to discuss something I don't know about), but I'm going to. I promise.

Thanks for all yout support for this great game. I really like how the mechanics hit you while you play and you get a lot of cool moments. Simple question, would you really recommend buying more than one copy of the core set and or each expansions?

Thanks for all yout support for this great game. I really like how the mechanics hit you while you play and you get a lot of cool moments. Simple question, would you really recommend buying more than one copy of the core set and or each expansions?

A second core set gives you quite a lot of options in term of duplicate disks and opens up a bunch of army building possibilities so if you enjoy the game and like the customization aspect then yes, a second core is IMHO a good investment, especially if you like to play with 3-regiment armies.

Moreover if you play with a single core set you'll have access to just a single copy of each command card, thus if both players wish to use the same card you have either to proxy it or to come up with a way to decide who gets it.

What is important is that you don't need a second copy of the core to enjoy the game, and if you want some extra options, better get the expansions first (which by reading your message I believe you already have).

Speaking about the expansions, I'd say here's little gain in buying a second copy of each expansion, unless you plan to play with really big armies, or you really want a second Zombie Dragon, Runic Cannon or Flame Cannon, so my opinion is they aren't a must.

A third core set is possibly too much. Yes, you'll gain some extra disks but unless you are planning to play specific armies they will rarely see the battlefield in triple copy.

The solution in our gaming group was that everyone got his own copy of the core set and the expansions, so we could play what we wanted with anybody, and if needed, we could borrow disks from the other players to fill our rosters. I don't know how much is feasible with your group, but for us, it worked.

A second core set gives you quite a lot of options in term of duplicate disks and opens up a bunch of army building possibilities so if you enjoy the game and like the customization aspect then yes, a second core is IMHO a good investment, especially if you like to play with 3-regiment armies.

Moreover if you play with a single core set you'll have access to just a single copy of each command card, thus if both players wish to use the same card you have either to proxy it or to come up with a way to decide who gets it.

What is important is that you don't need a second copy of the core to enjoy the game, and if you want some extra options, better get the expansions first (which by reading your message I believe you already have).

Speaking about the expansions, I'd say here's little gain in buying a second copy of each expansion, unless you plan to play with really big armies, or you really want a second Zombie Dragon, Runic Cannon or Flame Cannon, so my opinion is they aren't a must.

A third core set is possibly too much. Yes, you'll gain some extra disks but unless you are planning to play specific armies they will rarely see the battlefield in triple copy.

The solution in our gaming group was that everyone got his own copy of the core set and the expansions, so we could play what we wanted with anybody, and if needed, we could borrow disks from the other players to fill our rosters. I don't know how much is feasible with your group, but for us, it worked.

For the time being my group is my wife and projecting a few years ahead comes my 4 years old daughter. The facts are that I really enjoy this game and I`m also afraid it will be discontinued so the safest bet is to buy now a second core set. Thanks for the advice! I also hope I`m wrong about the future of this game. Hopefully Gencon will prove me wrong :)

So far no word if this is being discontinued? I saw they had to stop tournament play for the game (assuming because of lack of interest). Hoping FFG will make a habit out of informing via articles when they decide to discontinue a product line.

So far no word if this is being discontinued? I saw they had to stop tournament play for the game (assuming because of lack of interest). Hoping FFG will make a habit out of informing via articles when they decide to discontinue a product line.

For other games they discontinued (Warhammer: Invasion, Tannhäuser) they did just that. Moreover they announced the end of the line while announcing the release of the final expansion. We don't have any reason to think it would be different for Warhammer: Diskwars when it will be discontinued, which at the moment is not .

As MechaBri.Zilla wrote somewhere else (sorry man, can't remember where), many made the mistake to consider Warhammer: Diskwars akin to a Living Card Game (or to X-Wing) and drew the erroneous conclusion that it would receive the same amount of support those kind of games have, with frequent expansions and such.

Well, this isn't going to happen. Maybe it would have happened if it had a more vibrant competitive scene, but FFG found it didn't and decided to cut the support for tournament play. That's it. But no support for tournament play doesn't mean no more Diskwars, just that we'll have to wait.

We'll have new expansions when the new expansions come out. No sooner, no later.

Any new battle reports on the horizon?

We'll have new expansions when the new expansions come out. No sooner, no later.

Do you still feel this way now?

Do you still feel this way now?

My feelings haven't changed. I wish and hope we had more, but I can understand FFG release and "no-talk outside official announcements" policy. Not saying it's a situation I like but we can't do anything so why worry.

Meanwhile, the blog is back to life with new content:

- Last week I posted two articles about Special Scenarios (Parts 1 and 2 ) and today I went finally back to battle reports with From the Battlefield 28 - Vampire Counts vs Orcs . Enjoy!

So any more content coming?

Also, would anyone have interest in putting together some semi-official community expansions? Maybe they could be implemented into Vassal?