How far should I go?

By TemplarofSteel, in Only War Game Masters

I've been working on and off on a campaign for a while, based on the campaign mentioned in the story section. This is about 5-10 years after their last mission. The idea is that the Dominate makes a return to Virbius with new tech and starts a major offensive. Party of the edge the dominate has is new technology, officially it's recovered Archeotech, in fact...it's somewhat complicated.

The Dominate has formed an arrangement with the Logicians (Dark Heresy Group), the Logicians are given protection and material, as well as freedom to experiment within the Dominate holdings and in exchange they provide maintenance as well as tools and weapons against the enemy. Or from the Logicians perspective they get a bunch of beta testers and access to manufacturing that they wouldn't have normally.

I'm designing some new weaponry, armor etc. as well as some new units I guess I'm trying to figure out how ubiquitous the new weapons should be, not to mention his budget shock troops, basically glad warriors with some special modifications thrown in and kept tranquilized when not in combat. I can offer some samples of the new weapon and armor designs if you guys want, I am just trying to keep to a theme and also make it feel appropriate to the game.

The dominate does have supply line problems. It is entirely possible the logicans solved them, partially, by scrounging any and all plasma weapons it had and turning them into tank reactors. Flamers, as well, might be filled with something that smells a lot like methanol instead of the usual prometheum mix, or ditched alltogether. Homegrown razorwire throwers are better against Imperials anyway, cheaper to maintain and can one-shot anything melee giving your regiment a problem. Snare = nasty, takes down powerbuilt tech priests and ogryn rather nicely. :D

Given the amount of shrapnel on the dominate's battlefields, a shuriken-cannon equivalent just might be the dominate's new thing as well. Grind down random bits of metal for ammunition and you spare yourself from using up all those very, very costly bolt rounds.

Given the logicians are heretics, and the dominate has a serious orc problem, xenos limb transplants for the melee shock troops might actually be a thing...

The shuriken cannon was definitely one part of the idea, though a bit modified. Part of it was also though that most of the stuff they do was going to be more subtle, there is an adventure where proof is found that they're working with Xenos and propaganda issues aside the actual concern is the Dominate troops finding out since most of them are genuinely loyal to the creed. The idea is that the stuff done to them or given has to at least appear plasuibly like Archeotech.

Since the Dominate are so into that Romans-in-space-style, how about small elite formations of Dominate soldiers armed with Storm shields and power swords, so they would look like old time roman legions?