Remembering D day in only war

By PhaKnight, in Only War Game Masters

A little late but whatever... So I just ran a beach encounter to remember D day in my only war game and it went so fantastic that I recommend it as an easy encounter/oneshot to run for new GMs. Think of it like D day but instead of Germans its orks and instead of the allies its the IG.

This offers a wide selection of options. If you dont want to be the guys on the beach you can be drop troopers IE paratroopers and take bridges/set up check points deep in enemy territory. Anyways my group of penal legionaries charged the beach under alot of fire from orks and I had a few of them die but if one of your guys dies you dont have to have them role for a new character but have them take on the role of another and just change the name. This encounter represents how cheap but important all regiments are.

You can make up your own story on why they have to assault the beach but I basically said that the area was too important in resources to bomb from orbit and had to be taken back from the orks. It was interesting to see how many times they died and had to make a new name. The encounter actually ran pretty fast due to that. This also gave them the opportunity to try other specialties and they liked it.

Edited by PhaKnight

I plan to do a ww1 one shot campaign at some point in the near future, so I appreciate you doing this too. It seems like a very good idea too. I might steal it. Get out my copy of Forgotten Voices of D-day, throw in some **** hard odds for good measure and whamo. See what takes my fancy.

I plan to do a ww1 one shot campaign at some point in the near future, so I appreciate you doing this too. It seems like a very good idea too. I might steal it. Get out my copy of Forgotten Voices of D-day, throw in some **** hard odds for good measure and whamo. See what takes my fancy.

It was fun to seem them running up the beach only to be shot by orks in the trenches or getting blown up by mines and them having to play as a new character. Its interesting. I like to think of the way I GM the game as in when the players died a new person would come in and say they got separated from their squad so it gives them a reason to join the PC;s squad. It was fun bc that meant I could throw bad guys with OP weapons with a purpose and sometimes you will see hero characters rolling something very good saving alot of people or failing and causing the death of alot of npcs and it was interesting fast paced roleplaying experience.