Descent First Edition Custom Quests

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

First, I know that this is not the Descent First Edition forum. That forum, located in the Archives, is not utilized at all, so I decided to post this here.

For those of you who may have (or still do - like myself) played Descent First Edition, I have spent many hours over the past few years collecting and playing custom quests.

Since there is no one location to find these quests, I have made one.

Please understand that I did not create any of these custom quests - nor have I played them all, so I can not attest to their play-ability, balance, etc. What I can say is that for those that I have played, there are some very unique and creative features. I, and my friends, have had many hours of enjoyment playing these quests.

So, if you have gotten this far, and are interested in obtaining these quests, I have collect 198 of them, and stored them all in a DropBox.

Send me a PM, and I will provide you a link. Enjoy !

I'm surprised some are still playing the D1

I'm surprised some are still playing the D1

My group actually enjoys D1e far better than D2e. And I know I am not alone. The reason I made this post is because I was contacted by multiple people on BGG asking for the link to my D1e custom quests. I thought perhaps there would be people on this site interested as well.

I will never understand why.

D1 is unbalanced, full of bugs, old, long, boring, ugly, and I ever hated it since it comes out (I tried again when HoL was out, but it wasn't enough)

That is indeed the beauty of life ... we all have opinions ... we all enjoy different things ... diversity - ain't it grand?!

Nope, it's not.

Descent V1 was and will ever be a failure.

You should try on BGG, here, I'm sure everybody is as me

Edited by rugal

Rugal, don't be a jerk. Other people like different things than you, and that's perfectly okay. Your outright dismissal of someone else's opinions and interests is not appreciated, nor is your argumentum ad populum to support your notion that your opinion is more valid. I too prefer second edition to first, but I'm not about to tell someone that they are wrong for having a different preference.

I keep finding more and more opportunities to self promote.

I too love Descent 1E, and I also love 2E. However, I like the dungeon crawling feel of 1E better than the tactical skirmish feel of 2E, and I like the rules system of 2E better than the rules system of 1E. So, I created my Legendary Play Variant Rules to keep the basic rules of 2E and bring back the dungeon crawling feel of 1E, and I included conversion rules to play ALL 1E QUESTS using the 2E rules. For me it is a win-win. Give it a try, and see what you think.

P.S. take it easy rugal.

There's others forums and places to talk about this game. I hoped hadn't saw thoses sorts of topic here.

Edited by rugal

Rugal, don't be a jerk. Other people like different things than you, and that's perfectly okay. Your outright dismissal of someone else's opinions and interests is not appreciated, nor is your argumentum ad populum to support your notion that your opinion is more valid. I too prefer second edition to first, but I'm not about to tell someone that they are wrong for having a different preference.

There's others forums and places to talk about this game. I don't why I would be a "jerk". If i want to say that D1 is garbage, I'm free to do so.

Yes, but it's extremely rude to tell someone he's flat out wrong for happening to like something different than you. These are the main descent forums, and the first edition exclusive boards are closed and not in use, so it's natural to expect him to come here. You can say bad things about version 1 all you want, but it doesn't add anything useful, it makes you seem like a schmuck, and the way you're doing it sounds like you're deliberately trying to insult people simply for liking something that you don't, which is a preposterous and outrageous attitude to have. If you don't have anything useful to add, just don't comment.
Edited by Whitewing

Whitewing ...

I have found that when I have the old copy/paste bug thing, I can edit my post, select the text that is showing in all white (the copy/pasted stuff), and then select the "white/pink" eraser like icon second from the left above (it says Remove Format when you float over it), and it fixes the copy/paste stuff. Annoying you have to do so, but at least it works.

Nope, it's not.

Descent V1 was and will ever be a failure.

You should try on BGG, here, I'm sure everybody is as me

I am thankful that everyone does not feel as you, as that allows me many gaming opportunities with others like minded to myself. And by the way, even if you don't like a game like D1e, it is tough to call it "a failure" given the enormous amount of sales it had.

Use the little switch button in the very top left of the post formatting window to view the posts BB code, incredibly useful for quoting multi post quotes and getting rid of formatting in general.

As for d1, i personally have not played it but i know someone who prefers d1 to d2

Edited by BentoSan

These are the main descent forums, and the first edition exclusive boards are closed and not in use, so it's natural to expect him to come here.

I'm happy to come discuss here because forums are made so we can talk only about the descent V2, and it usually not finish like most forums where we talk about all and nothing but not about the game itself.

I'm sorry the D1 forum are closed, but i'm happy with that. why not trying BGG or some others places, still "alive", than here ?

I don't think it's "natural", it would be more obvious to go on BGG first

These are the main descent forums, and the first edition exclusive boards are closed and not in use, so it's natural to expect him to come here.

I'm happy to come discuss here because forums are made so we can talk only about the descent V2, and it usually not finish like most forums where we talk about all and nothing but not about the game itself.

I'm sorry the D1 forum are closed, but i'm happy with that. why not trying BGG or some others places, still "alive", than here ?

I don't think it's "natural", it would be more obvious to go on BGG first

If you've got nothing useful to add, just don't post. It doesn't harm you to let him talk about it here.. Your attitude is obnoxious.

I am thankful that everyone does not feel as you, as that allows me many gaming opportunities with others like minded to myself. And by the way, even if you don't like a game like D1e, it is tough to call it "a failure" given the enormous amount of sales it had.

Surely, if D1E had been a failure, D2E would never have been made. Instead, D1E would have gone OOP without any successor, and the game line would have been abandoned entirely.

I prefer D2E over D1E in general, however, I think both versions are flawed equally in different ways. They're both enjoyable games for what they are, but neither one of them is exactly what I'd like the franchise to be.

They are two totally different games in my opinion, their dissimilarity making it hard to compare. D1 is a much more epic, dungeon crawling, exploration game that gives the feel of an classic RPG run while D2 has a more tactical combat feel. Personally I wish they would have stuck with D1s approach and fixed the various issues as I find D2 a bit underwhelming despite the eloquent improvements in the mechanics. But that's just my opinion, I play both by the way.

As for the appropriateness of D1 discussion on this forum, well relegating the original forum to the archive when there are thousands of avid D1 fans out there was a mistake in my opinion but I don't see any harm in running a thread here if need be. You don't have to read it or respond afterall.

I will never understand why.

D1 is unbalanced, full of bugs, old, long, boring, ugly, and I ever hated it since it comes out (I tried again when HoL was out, but it wasn't enough)

I actually play D1 with three different playgroups and they all agree that D2 is unbalanced, full of bugs, short and boring. I think all 12 of us agree that the original had some flair to it that even some of its oddities couldn't break.

First, I know that this is not the Descent First Edition forum. That forum, located in the Archives, is not utilized at all, so I decided to post this here.

For those of you who may have (or still do - like myself) played Descent First Edition, I have spent many hours over the past few years collecting and playing custom quests.

Since there is no one location to find these quests, I have made one.

Please understand that I did not create any of these custom quests - nor have I played them all, so I can not attest to their play-ability, balance, etc. What I can say is that for those that I have played, there are some very unique and creative features. I, and my friends, have had many hours of enjoyment playing these quests.

So, if you have gotten this far, and are interested in obtaining these quests, I have collect 198 of them, and stored them all in a DropBox.

Send me a PM, and I will provide you a link. Enjoy !

Can you make that link public?

Can you make that link public?

I responded to your PM.

any2cards, I see no reaosn why not make it public, unless it's against the forum rules, and I think its not.

Though I don't play the first edition for a good time, I can see profit for some people. And I thank in behalf of these people.

It would be good to convert these old quests to the second edition. A dream that I have, but I lack the time and skills, when it comes to 2nd edition rules, at least for now.

any2cards, I see no reaosn why not make it public, unless it's against the forum rules, and I think its not.

Though I don't play the first edition for a good time, I can see profit for some people. And I thank in behalf of these people.

It would be good to convert these old quests to the second edition. A dream that I have, but I lack the time and skills, when it comes to 2nd edition rules, at least for now.

To be honest, the only reason I don't make it a public link is because the link leads to a DropBox that I am constantly manipulating. This in turn, with each potential change, would make the link invalid, just leading to more issues. Since there hasn't been very many requests from FFG for this info, I have operated on sending a PM to those that have gone through the effort to contact me.

Edited by any2cards

I see. I'd like to have the link, then, if you don't mind :)

Thanks in advance.

I this still active? I would be interested too!

I would be very interested in this link as well

Yes, it's active. I finished download the quests about two weeks ago. I´'ll not put the link here in respect to the owner, any2cards, but be sure he will made availble for you soon :)