Which Book Do You Think Will Be Your Favorite?

By BroodyGambit, in Zombie Apocalypse

Woot, My first HOT thread

Well done Broody, on the hot topic.

I'm going to throw in, I reckon it's a mix of either zombie or wrath of the gods for a favourite book.

I love both zombies and cthulhu, so it will be a difficult choice.

I am sure I will like them all for various reasons.

What has me most excited about this series is the chance to bring in people who are not familiar with RPGs. This series would be a really great stepping stone at introducing new gamers to playing an RPG without keeping them from meta gaming.

Demon hunting. I hope it has the tools to do a Japanese Samurai-Ninja-Oni setting.

edit: I mean sci fi futuristic samurai-ninja-oni setting. Like if the Yu Jing army from the minis game Infinity had to fight demons... :D

Edited by Farseerixirvost

Demon hunting.

Been catching up on the TV series "Dominion." Definately most stoked for the Wrath of the Gods book.

Robits or aliyarn.

Cthulhu would be awesome, I'm really surprised they were allowed to use him. I always assumed there was some kind of non-competition clause preventing them from doing a cthulhu rpg due to them using the call of cthulhu licence in their other products.

I think my favourite book might well be wrath of the gods and then I realised every book has five scenarios surely one of the Alien Invasion scenarios would have to be a certain breakout at a Antarctic Norwegian research station...

If I could have my PCs face The Thing then that would be awesome.

Edited by Visitor Q

Is the Thing an alien? Its been a while since I've watched it.

Yup, alien lifeform in the book* and all 3 movie versions.** They find it's spaceship buried in the ice.

* Who goes there? By John Campbell.

1) The Thing from another world (but it was a killer vegatable man instead of a chape changer.)

2) (John Carpenter's) The Thing (Curt Russel ftw!)

3) The Thing (unnessesary remake of a clasic, now with lame acting and average cgi. Inferior to the John carpenter version in every way!)

Edited by Robin Graves

Don't forget 'the Things' a short story by Peter Watts from the alien's perspective and possibly the most chilling of them all.

I am a massive fan of the 1987 movie and while the new one is no where as good it is technically a prequel and actually works quite well in that capacity if you watch both movies back to back as by the second half of the movie the Alien is getting smarter.

Regardless, this creature could also solve the problem of what happens if a Pc dies. They can just play themselves until they are ready to reveal themselves as hideous star spawn!

Edited by Visitor Q

I did not know about the Peter Watts story. Thanks for mentioning it!

The Gm could, at several times, during a game session take players seperatly to build tension, mystery and paranoia.

Gm: "Bruce, would you come in the next room with me? i got some info thats only for your character.'

Bruce: "okay"

Gm: " Mike's character is acting strangly, keep an eye on him."

15 minutes later:

Gm: "Mike, You're up next! follow me, i got some info thats only for your character.'

Mike: "Sweet!"

Gm: " Bruce's character is behaving in a very odd way, better watch him and watch out for him."

20 minutes later

Gm: "John, would you come in the next room with me? I don't want the other players to hear us."

John: "I tought you'd never ask!, wink wink" *

Gm: " Ok John, You can't be sure but the way Bruce's character has been behaving up till now, he could very well be infected with the thing."

* there's always someone who makes stupid jokes at this.

Alien Invasion and Revolt Of The Machines but I am going to buy them all anyway.

Yes I will own all of them!

But if I had to choose one it has to be Rise of the Machines. How cool is it to start out a campaign where the computer in front of a player is capturing secrets and helping the machines!

Gm: Ok Bruce, you start at work behind your pc.

Bruce: ok

Gm: Suddenly the computer decides to sacrifice itself for the cause and blows up! You take 5D6 explosive damage to the face!

Bruce: *flips table*

:D

Edited by Robin Graves

Good idea, flipping the table might give you some cover if you're fast enough.

The average gamer generally doesn't have reflexes fast enough to do that, as exhibited by dropped dice, unless there's pizza involved! :lol:

Quite some time back, I ran across a very old RPG (back when they were still sold in boxes) called Freedom Fighters that had the default campaign of a Soviet invasion of the U.S.A. (original Red Dawn ), that was also going to have campaign expansions to play a V style alien 'invasion' or War of the Worlds alien invasion: I wanted to play them all. So to answer the question, I will buy them all, and am looking forward to them all. If I had to choose, it would be a toss up between the Aliens and Machines. The idea I am toying with is running them through all of the campaign settings (think Sliders meets the apocalypse)!

Did anyone see the movie The Mis t? That can be either Aliens or Wrath of the Gods .

Did anyone see the movie The Mis t? That can be either Aliens or Wrath of the Gods .

I did see that, but wish the book's original ending had been kept so as to let the audience decide for themselves what happened. I was toying with the idea of using the government experiment into alternate dimensions as the precursor for how it came to be. This would also allow me to switch settings between one book and the next, and also give the players a sense that they could be able to stop things if they could locate the device and stop it. That in turn would provide a transition into one of the Post-apocalyptic settings.

Definitely the Alderaan supplement!

Definitely the Alderaan supplement!

I don't know... "End of the world: Death Star" seems a bit hard to survive