Which Book Do You Think Will Be Your Favorite?

By BroodyGambit, in Zombie Apocalypse

Now I know that there is only a Zombie subforum for this game so far, but with four different apocalypses (apocali? Buffy never really explained that) I was just wondering which ones catch your eyes.

I enjoy zombies, but honestly, the one I am looking forward to most is the Wrath of the Gods more.

depends how they are implemented. Zombies are all the rage right now. But I can get down with some Old Ones as well, but I don't know how they are going to work the madness, or whole end of the world. If it's just running from Godzilla, then that's harder... Machines are always cool (Maximum Overdrive)...

Zombies is honestly my least favorite of the four. probably because it is really overdone today. Maximum Overdrive would be amazing. I just made my wife watch it a few weeks ago for the first time and it was glorious. She didn't understand it.

****, I don't even know where to begin. They all look so cool. I am going to throw money at it until I get the whole collection.

Each one is unique in their own way.

I like cosmic horror, so Wrath of the Gods will probably be a must-buy for me, depending on whether and how well the biblical apocalypse described in Revelation is handled. This is something that has always bugged me: people love angels and demons, and the Antichrist is a cool concept for a villain, so naturally there are a lot of movies and games that try to present a religion-themed portrayal of the end times. But they always seem to get it wrong, as if they're reading a different Bible than the one we Christians are familiar with.

And so, with no fewer than five campaign settings offered from each book (25 in total... Wow), it's my hope that one of the five in Wrath of the Gods will give me the tools I've always wanted for a true Apocalypse campaign. It's a controversial setting, but I'm sure it could be done tastefully, and believe these guys are up to the task.

I'm really tired of the zombie craze at the moment. I'm most excited about Gods and Machines.

They all sound great, but they need to throw a nuclear wasteland one in the mix...then it'd be complete.

Definitely Gods, been wanting a cthulhu rpg from FFG for a long time.

Hope they put something nuclear in as well (Fallout baby!)

Cthulhu would be awesome, I'm really surprised they were allowed to use him. I always assumed there was some kind of non-competition clause preventing them from doing a cthulhu rpg due to them using the call of cthulhu licence in their other products.

I'm interested in the machines. I'm getting excited about the idea of basically, playing terminator. The aliens one is intriguing as well, a light hearted mars attacks game would be great.

I like all four books, but wish there was a 5th book in wich you have to survive a kaiju (ie godzilla) attack. So i'll pick "wrath of the gods" and will use c'thulhu as a kaiju stand in.

I've seen art of a giant octopus and giant ants. From what book are those? I'd love to get me some 50's B-movie action!

Stories like War of the Worlds have always scared me the most and seems the most likely to occur out of the four scenarios. Therefore I'm looking forward to the Alien Invasion book. If the books are releasing at different times I hope they don't all use the same scenario as "You are sitting with your friends playing an RPG when suddenly..." as the description of the series states. Obviously it can be reworked, but I'd love to see some different starting variations. Plus I hope that you can get creative with your characters. As much as playing yourself in a game can be a neat little distraction from the usual pen and paper, I think that there is plenty of reasons explaining just why it's not a scenario that is used often in RPGs. We play them because we want to be someone else for a change.

I'm sure the rules will apply for creating your own characters. I just don't want to be stuck being me cause... well.. I'll be dead in five minutes guaranteed.

I like them all. I can't wait to try them out with my group.

The Robot uprising is very appealing. I think that's the last one 'though.

Stories like War of the Worlds have always scared me the most and seems the most likely to occur out of the four scenarios. Therefore I'm looking forward to the Alien Invasion book. If the books are releasing at different times I hope they don't all use the same scenario as "You are sitting with your friends playing an RPG when suddenly..." as the description of the series states. Obviously it can be reworked, but I'd love to see some different starting variations. Plus I hope that you can get creative with your characters. As much as playing yourself in a game can be a neat little distraction from the usual pen and paper, I think that there is plenty of reasons explaining just why it's not a scenario that is used often in RPGs. We play them because we want to be someone else for a change.

I'm sure the rules will apply for creating your own characters. I just don't want to be stuck being me cause... well.. I'll be dead in five minutes guaranteed.

What I was thinking. I ran a scenario from All Flesh Must Be Eaten that had all the players make themselves as a character and having reasons to be in the same office building when the zombie outbreak happens (without informing the players about what kind of game/setting it is). It was great fun for a single session, but it would probably quickly loose its appeal.

Not to mention that the Venn-diagram of "people who play RPGs" and "people who thrive in the apocalypse" would be two circles barely touching ;p

Zombies at number one and robots taking the number two spot.

This is definitely going to be a close call. I initially thought Revolt of the Machines, but then I realised what Wrath of the Gods was all about, and that quickly rose for joint first. I'm not the biggest zombie fan, but if they execute it right, this could also be an awesome book. Alien Invasion the same, really. I'd like to see some classic 1950s gloss in that book for it to be truly awesome.

But they all look so good - shame they couldn't just release them all at once. Though I'd probably have to look at selling organs if that were the case...

I like the idea of playing yourself in an rpg; did a cthulhu based one years ago based in our home town and ended up killing one too many innocent people simply because "that old woman in the corner shop looks weird".

That being said I've always wanted a contemporary Alien Invasion scenario.

Since they all use the same systhem and, i guess, stats, it should be real easy to combine several of the books together.

Stuff like:

Aliens raise our dead to conquer earth!

We defeat the aliens, but when we try to reverse engineer their technology, the machines rebel!

The machines want us all dead and use nanobots to take over and jumpstart the brains of dead humans, creating zombie auxillary troops to suport their elite killbots. (zombies+ robots also works really good in "Smash-up")

Aliens invade earth, hoping they can save themselves, by invading and sacrificing the whole human race before their bloodthirsty gods awaken and consume all life in the solar systhem.

Dr. Weir has used alien technology recovered from Roswell, to create a breach between our world and the nether realm.

This has caused a flood of spirits to come forth into our world, clad in the flesh of the dead. Worse still is that this violation of the realms has angered god into taking action to smite mankind! Thats when the aliens turn up and take revenge by making our technology rise up against us. (or the way i call it: End of the World: Everything!)

Edited by Robin Graves

Zombs for me! Real life Last of Us, but set in my home village!

For me it is Alien Invasion quickly followed by Wraith of the Gods. Revolt of the Machines will depend on how it's done. Zombies are a distant fourth, but as it's the first I suppose I'll get it just to see how the character creation works out.

I'm very interested in Revolt of the Machines. It makes me wonder if there's going to be drones and stuff attacking us, or if our own toasters and iPods are out to get us. Wouldn't that make the world look sinister? If every electronic device wanted to kill you and had the means to do so. Wrath of the Gods is a close second, because I'm interested in how directly the supernatural forces behind reality are trying to kill you. Do you have to worry about Thor kicking in your door, or are they going to operate through natural disasters like flooding and fire raining from the skies?

And I'm pretty sure H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos is open source. He's been dead since, what, the thirties? And he wasn't very popular til the 80's. For that reason, I doubt there's any foundation that is keeping his copyrights alive.

Intersted in Revolt of the Machines, followed by alien invasion, as when I was younger, (and still sometimes do), my and my friends spent many long hours discussing zombie apocalypses, so it's not really a new thing (yes, we were very sad), and I'm not sure how Wrath of the Gods'll operate.

Wrath of the gods could be very intresting.

In all flesh must be eaten, there is a setting in wich god has had enough and unleashed the apocalypse, hell is full and the dead come unto the earth to devour the living. And the Gm section flatout states that this is gods will and by your continuing survival you are making god angrier. nice setting huh?

Aliens raise our dead to conquer earth!

Plan 9 From Outer Space!!!