Expansions

By MDMann, in Chaos in the Old World

I wonder how the game will develop, presumably, it will indroduce new gods such as Nochoho, (Malal), Hashut and the Horned Rat, perhaps Gork and Mork (not that they're Chaotic).

On a side note, I saw this advert (not the news item) last week, I'd assume as they were loading on to the site whilst I was logging on (and having difficulty). It came down very quickly, so I doubt it was meant to be there. Comments mods?

By Sigmar's beard, haha. Doubt it'll have other gods, since this is CHAOS.

Knuckles Eki said:

By Sigmar's beard, haha. Doubt it'll have other gods, since this is CHAOS.

True but Khorne, Tzeentch and co are only the 4 major powers. The Horned Rat at least is the Chaos god of the Skaven. And Khaine could easily be thrown in as the dark god of the Dark Elves.

Writing this has made me think that an expansion could change the focus slightly to add Ulthuan and the cults of excess. For those not familiar with Warhammer Ulthuan is the home of the High Elves with the cults of exces being a covert predecessor to the full blown cult of Khaine for the Dark Elves.

Dark Elves follow Slaanesh. But still, Gork and Mork are kinda chaotic too

Knuckles Eki said:

Dark Elves follow Slaanesh. But still, Gork and Mork are kinda chaotic too

Slaanesh is one of the god's yes but current cannon, is that the main god they follow is Khaine god of Murder, with a far smaller % following Slannesh.

Perhaps they will make an expanded version that includes the gods of other races, but it'd probably be awhile off. What I'd really like to see is perhaps the opposite, like a Witch Hunter boatd game where you attempt to root out and destroy the followers of the Dark Gods. Heck, it could even be an expansion to this game: another player could play as the Cult of Sigmar/Ulric/etc. and try to subvert Chaotic activity in the Empire.

breakermw said:

Perhaps they will make an expanded version that includes the gods of other races, but it'd probably be awhile off. What I'd really like to see is perhaps the opposite, like a Witch Hunter boatd game where you attempt to root out and destroy the followers of the Dark Gods. Heck, it could even be an expansion to this game: another player could play as the Cult of Sigmar/Ulric/etc. and try to subvert Chaotic activity in the Empire.

Gork and Mork wouldn´t work IMO, you have 100% loyal greenskins and no other worshippers so it wouldn´t work with having cults and so.

Hashut is another Chaos good too ....but hes not as revered as the other 4 he will be another nice addition to the game

Seems to me that the Horned Rat is the most likely addition, if any are coming. The Skaven god has a lot of human worshippers, and the Skaven are practically everywhere. Of course, he lacks the daemons of the four major powers.

Leogun_91 said:

breakermw said:

Yes a player playing those that oppose the gods would be really cool and fit the theme far better than additional gods.

Gork and Mork wouldn´t work IMO, you have 100% loyal greenskins and no other worshippers so it wouldn´t work with having cults and so.

Too bad, GW no longer uses Malal (there are problems with the rights about him), He is a mayor power of chaos, but his goal is the destruction of everything, he especially likes to destroy the other chaos god. This would be a perfect addition imo.

I too like the idea of a 5th player fighting for the Old World - it'd be like reverse-Sauron from the LotR board game. Then you could replace the "automated" Old World from the base game with an "automated" Ork army that would be storming cross the border... don't know if it would work too well with the current board though, since as Leogun said it's basically designed for "cult influence" type gameplay and isn't really a wargame kind of board.

Today, I asked one of the people giving demos of Chaos in the Old World at Gen Con if there will be any expansions and he said that none were planned.

Storm Wolf said:

Today, I asked one of the people giving demos of Chaos in the Old World at Gen Con if there will be any expansions and he said that none were planned.

:)

Khaine is Khorne so adding him would be redundant. *ducks*

Noisy_Marine said:

Khaine is Khorne so adding him would be redundant. *ducks*

Even from a purely technical perspective they're extremely similar so yes, I doubt he'd make a good addition to the game.

IMO, this game is self-contained and complete which is why I'm so interested in it. Expansions are a horrible idea--you don't see them for Monopoly or RISK and you shouldn't see them here. It's just asking for balance issues and accusations of money-grubbing. I'd rather FFG spent its time working on new products rather than attempting to fix what ain't broke.

I'm not saying they definitely won't make any expansions, but I guarantee you that they're not going to add in any more gods.

Gotta sympathize with the staff around here, a game has barely been released and there are expansion requests already.

sigh...

I can't really see how they could expand it to include more gods, other then perhaps the Horned Rat, but even that I don't really see fitting in. I suspect the only expansions will be additional cards a la Reaper for Talisman, or the small Arkham packs.

Wouldn't be a bad thing, as some one else on this thread mentioned it is a self contained game, and it's nice to leave it at that, there are already enough games with enough expansions (Ahem, Arkham Horror, three extra boards and three card packs!!!) to deal with. I mean come on who gets the time to play them all as often as you would like anyway?!?!?!/ Even when I was a student I probably wouldn't have had a enough time, and as retirement is a quarter of a century away for me it ain;t gonna be anytime soon!!

Judge Devs said:

I can't really see how they could expand it to include more gods, other then perhaps the Horned Rat, but even that I don't really see fitting in. I suspect the only expansions will be additional cards a la Reaper for Talisman, or the small Arkham packs.

I'm sure they are planning an expansion or 2 to support the game, but I don't see that happening until sometime next year.

They wont increase the number of gods as they dont have the rights to most mentioned.

Malal is an old one where they could not get the rights.

If an expansion were to come out maybe it would be just more cards and/or figure pieces.

I agree though that if it does not need an expansion then leave it alone...

See no reason for an expansion or how one would fit in. Introducing the gods of other races would detract from the flavour of the game and the intriguing balance already existing. Already suggested that Khaine is a Khorne clone, whilst The Horned Rat is/was more or less a pawn of Tzeentch (if memory serves) and his followers already have a presence in the game.

Why mess with genius (unless you're the Changer of Ways)?

Im in the 'its nicely self contained' camp myself.

If you look through games of similar layouts and concepts for inspiration though the one space for expansion really lies in an opposition - so if I had to lay money down now I'd feel the best odds would go on something akin to the Sauron expansion for Lord of the Rings - where you can take up to 5 players and introduces an Old World player - possibly getting a hand of cards to use in the Old World track, pawns to place and move instead of heroes and maybe its own dial on an little side expansion board (like the Pegasus and New Caprica board for BSG)

I also thought that besides the Horned Rat, an Old World player is the only way to go for a 5 player exspansion.

The game is strong as is. If FFG feel that a card expansion is warranted then so be it. But as far as I am concerned the game is complete as it is. EXCELLENT JOB BY ALL INVOLVED!!!

I agree . . . I'm not in a hurry for anything new . . . everything that it comes with currently is just amazing.