New Player Starter Deck Advice Request

By DozerDozen, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Hi Everyone,

I bought the game at Gencon and am not much of a card flopper, but love the 40k world. I see that the minimum deck size is 50 cards not counting the Warlord.

Taking all cards of a given army with one of each of the generic cards doesn't get to fifty and that is where I could really use your help.

I'd like to use the Space Marine and Ork deck to teach the game to my gaming group but have no clue what faction to choose as an ally for each and/or what cards from that ally faction to add to the deck.

I'd be very appreciative if someone could list good allies for each and specifically what cards and qtys. to add to each deck to get them to fifty. A brief summary of how the deck plays would be a sweet bonus, but I'm sure we will figure it out after a couple plays.

I could just add the cards myself and see what happens, but this will be the first impression of this game to my gaming group, and I want it to go as well as possible to hopefully interest others to join in.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Dozer

If you have the one set add all of one of their allies. I would go with Tau for SM and Chaos for the Orks. You will be a few cards over but can leave them or remove some. I would just leave them to increase the variety of cards.

If you have the one set add all of one of their allies. I would go with Tau for SM and Chaos for the Orks. You will be a few cards over but can leave them or remove some. I would just leave them to increase the variety of cards.

You actually will NOT be a few cards over because of the numbers in the one core. That's because each faction has 29 of its own cards (not including the warlord), only 16 of which are available to be put in an allied deck (because they are neither signature nor loyal).

So following the above suggestion:

SM (29) + Tau (16) = 45

Ork (29) + Chaos (16) = 45

So to get up to legal decks, you need to add 5 of the 12 neutral cards to each deck to get up to 50. That leaves you only 2 cards with which to "tweak" the 50-card decks.

Seems like the easiest thing to do is to take a faction, add the non-loyal, non-signature from the chosen ally, and take 1 or each neutral card, giving you 51 cards (not including the warlord). Then play with the 51 card deck.

My advise is to stop playing now... it sounds like this game is all wrong for you.

At the heart of the LCG is the concept of deck building. There is no "correct deck" (though powerful decks rise to the top eventually). If you are unwilling to experiment with deck setup at this super early stage when the card pool is small then it will be so much worse when there is a ton of cards and your a few 100 bucks in the hole.

It is nothing to be sad about, many people are just not into the CCG groove. A lot of players come to these games due to the art and theme and the fact the games are good, but unless you are really into deck building and experimenting then you are missing out on a MASSIVE part of the game, as well as missing out on the variance is creates in the game.

So quit now, before you spend all this extra money, as deck building is not just part of the game it is practically the entire point of it. The design is completely geared towards it. Asking "make me a deck" at this early stage when the pool is so small and easy to deck build in, is telling me that this game is simply not for you. So many players end up with 1/2 collected LCGs sitting on the shelf never getting played as they simply failed to realize that the game type is not in fact their style.

Or

Just experiment, read the cards and put something together. There is no "right" or "wrong" deck. Just put some stuff together and try it. Tweak the deck, read the cards, your deck will slowly get better and better and you will know the card pool more and more. At this stage of the game the pool is so small that experimentation is easy. Deck building is not really that hard, and you might like it AND the game is designed for it, it is as much a part of the game as "playing" it.. some might say the larger part.

On a side note, for teaching and showing off the game, I would just use the pure faction decks, even if they are under 50 cards.

Edited by booored

My advise is to stop playing now... it sounds like this game is all wrong for you.

At the heart of the LCG is the concept of deck building. There is no "correct deck" (though powerful decks rise to the top eventually). If you are unwilling to experiment with deck setup at this super early stage when the card pool is small then it will be so much worse when there is a ton of cards and your a few 100 bucks in the hole.

It is nothing to be sad about, many people are just not into the CCG groove. A lot of players come to these games due to the art and theme and the fact the games are good, but unless you are really into deck building and experimenting then you are missing out on a MASSIVE part of the game, as well as missing out on the variance is creates in the game.

So quit now, before you spend all this extra money, as deck building is not just part of the game it is practically the entire point of it. The design is completely geared towards it. Asking "make me a deck" at this early stage when the pool is so small and easy to deck build in, is telling me that this game is simply not for you. So many players end up with 1/2 collected LCGs sitting on the shelf never getting played as they simply failed to realize that the game type is not in fact their style.

Or

Just experiment, read the cards and put something together. There is no "right" or "wrong" deck. Just put some stuff together and try it. Tweak the deck, read the cards, your deck will slowly get better and better and you will know the card pool more and more. At this stage of the game the pool is so small that experimentation is easy. Deck building is not really that hard, and you might like it AND the game is designed for it, it is as much a part of the game as "playing" it.. some might say the larger part.

On a side note, for teaching and showing off the game, I would just use the pure faction decks, even if they are under 50 cards.

I don't know how you got to the conclusion that the game is not for him, when his question was how to put together the best demo decks to ensure that the game makes a favorable first impression with a gaming group?

My recommendation, Dozer, would be to use the "starter" SM and Ork decks. (All SM cards, and one each of the 6 neutrals. All Ork cards plus the other set of 6 neutrals.)

These starter decks do not meet the deck size minimum per the rules, but are surprisingly well balanced for the purposes of a demo game.

Edited by cgrater

For learning/teaching the game, and with just one core set, my friends and I have just been using the 29 card faction decks (we don't plan on trying to make custom decks until we get more core sets, and the first two monthly packs comes out). By using just the 29 card faction decks, you will get a good feel as to the strengths and weakness of each faction, and that will allow you to better build decks once more cards become available (and overall, the 29 card decks go against each other pretty well).

Or

You crack me up....STOP PLAYING NOW!

Also ignore booored ugh lol

No...Booored actually has a ton of good information. His anti-social behavior doesn't phase me one bit. If he was talking out his ass AND being a jerk...that's one thing....But He genuinely knows his card games, and thus I pay attention to his critique....

Oh...and his dickishness just cracks me up.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think I will just keep the decks mono but add the neutral cards. My group plays mostly miniature games and board games and plan on having this be almost a "filler" game, grabbing an expansion/card pack that catches my eye every now and then.

There is so much more to LCGs than deckbuilding. I am not at all good building decks, yet I somehow manage to have tons of fun. And I feel I get lot of value out of my card games. Not everyone aims for the competitive scene. You can play card games casually, treat them as fillers, or just suck at them but still enjoy yourself greatly.

Deckbuilding is not all there is to these games. There is way more to them. Just because booored's favourite feature is one thing, it doesn't mean everyone who likes a different aspect of the game should stop playing immediately.

Or

Someone asks for advice on intro decks and your response is "Stop playing now"? Regardless of your insight on card games, trying to detract someone from playing a game pre-launch is stupid to the extreme. This is the reason so many people don't take you seriously. Regardless of any insight you may have.

A problem with forums like these is that it is sometimes hard to understand context. I think Boored was being "tongue and cheek" with his "Stop Playing Now" advice...because afterward he gives some decent advice. I am fairly certain that if his only advice was for the player to stop playing a game that hasn't come out yet...that is ALL he would have written.

I have a feeling his sense of humor (which I find hilarious) is sort of lost on folks. Sorry if this post has nothing to do with the actual thread...

BUT...on that. I really like the idea that with the starter set you are able to make "starter" decks with each of the factions. The folks I play with are EXTREMELY competent veterans with the Table Top game who do not play card games as a general rule...so to tease them into this game, and Demo it I have the ability to say "Here are the seven factions the game starts with...which one do you want to play" rather than "Orks or Space Marines...choose one."

From what I have seen it looks as though Conquest is going to be pretty easy for non-card folks to figure out and excel at.

I think EVERYONE is going to have a good time with this one :)

I am hilarious, indeed. Though I do not need to be defended, I couldn't care less about how I am perceived, I am completely shameless.

Deckbuilding is not all there is to these games. There is way more to them. (snip) it doesn't mean everyone who likes a different aspect of the game should stop playing immediately.

No. Deck Construction is a fundamental part of the game design. Sure people can have fun fapping about in the surf, but seriously.. get a surf board and experience it all proper like. Make decks, find a few mates that makes decks, start bringing new decks to each meeting, find a meta among your friends, then break the meta with new thoughtful experimentation. There is SO much more to these games than just the "game". It is not about "winning" it is about the cards becoming a extension of your imagination, ingenuity and personality. (once the pool is large enough). A battle of minds between your friends, a chess like balance of push and shove as you experiment with a ever growing pool.

Edited by booored

Sure people can have fun fapping about in the surf, but seriously..

Just don't do it in public, or at least make sure it's a private beach.

Sure people can have fun fapping about in the surf, but seriously..

Just don't do it in public, or at least make sure it's a private beach.

Or that the water is more than waist-deep

I don't mind Booooooooree. He does make some points that I agree with.

As verbose as he is, however, I just wish he could comprehend the difference between "your" and "you're".

Your = possessive:

"This is your opinion."

"That is your deck".

You're = a contraction of "You are":

"You're a really nice guy".

"You're going to drive people nuts."

As stubborn as he has proven, this won't matter one lick...but he has proven to be intelligent and believes he is educated. This will just elevate his game a bit :)

Einstein couldn't spell either.

Neither could Dan Quayle.

Just sayin'

exactly.. bad spelling is meaningless.

I was commenting on the logical fallacy, not the relative importance of spelling.

Einstein was also only a bad speller in English, his second language. Which is entirely understandable for someone who taught themself as an adult (and before the age of the internet spellcheckers)

Unless Boooored is holding out on us, I'd say that's his is a very egotistical, and completely inaccurate comparison.

does, dose.

loose, lose.

Lack of care when presenting a view (per poor spelling and grammar) often leads to people ignoring the view. If the poster can't show care, why should a reader care? So it's only meaningless if you don't care what readers think of your view. And if that's true, there's little point posting.

Edited by PBrennan

I do love how many of these posts devolve into a totally different discussion than it was originally intended. It is fascinating to watch and see where they go.

Edited for spelling, grammar, syntax, run-on sentences, clarity, brevity, fragments, sentence construction, diction and punctuation.

Edited by Titan