Using Discipline to modify a lightsaber crystal

By Donovan Morningfire, in Game Mechanics

Absolutely love the idea of the Emitter. I think that makes WAY more sense. That way the crystal can add the flavor (Breach1 and Sunder and then add Burn 1/ Force Power check to recover strain/ Disorient/ Higher Base damage + Viscious 1/ Defensive 1/ Etc.) and the Emitter can be Mechanically modded.

If the Devs are watching this thread, I can't emphasis this enough!

I'm down with splitting it into Hilt, Crystal, Emitter, and Focusing Lens.

I'd have to see the numbers pushed around a bit, but I'm thinking Donovan's idea just above is a decent start.

See Below

Edited by Gigerstreak

My suggestion is to make the Crystal take up one slot, the emitter another 1 slot. This keeps it at 2 slots.

Then, as an optional rule. Allow the Crystal to be "attuned" using a daunting or formidable discipline check. Doing so could grant the weapon +1 to damage or an advantage (or even cooler, let it take 5000c worth of materials and then let THAT be how a lightsaber gains the Superior Quality, rather than the listed hilt personalization)

A different lens could be a 0 slot attachment that does something too, but probably for a splat book.

Here is what it would look like in practice. Keep in mind the COST of lightsabers and whatnot would have to be adjusted by adding a new required part. (Probably just 100 credits for the actual hilt)

Barab Ingot
These variants of Kyber crystals are unique to the
heavily irradiated world Barab I. Found in small clusters
in mountainous regions, Barab ingots are hot to
the touch and glow with a fierce inner light. When
installed in a lightsaber, they create a searing, fiery
blade that burns so fierce and bright that it nearly loses
its cohesion. A Barab ingot is a lightsaber crystal.
Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes a
lightsaber’s base damage to 8 and critical rating to
3. In addition, the lightsaber gains the Burn 1 quality.
If the crystal is ever removed, the lightsaber loses
this quality, and reverts to its previous base damage
and critical rating.
Modification Options: 2 Item Quality (Burn +1) Mods.
Hard Points Required: 1.
Price: ® 15,000 credits.
Basic Lightsaber Emitter
The blade emitter is the part of a lightsaber that projects the blade.
It consists of the emitter matrix, which focuses the blade after the
crystal with a tightly wrapped magnetic field, and the emitter itself,
where the blade actually protrudes. The emitter possesses the
magnetic ring that creates the field that contains the plasma of
the blade and arcs it back to the lightsaber for reconversion
back into electricity.
Base Modifiers: By installing this emitter the lightsaber gains
the Breach 1 and Sunder weapon qualities. If the emitter is
ever removed, the lightsaber loses these qualities.
Modification Options: 2 Item Quality (Vicious +1)
Mods, 2 Damage +1 Mods, 2 Decrease the weapon’s
critical rating by one to a minimum of 1 Mods.
Hard Points Required: 1.
Price: 500 credits.

Training Lightsaber Emitter
In the days of the Republic, the Jedi allowed their
younglings to train with “training sabers,” non-lethal
versions of their famous energy blades. In actuality, a
training lightsaber is almost the same as a standard
lightsaber, except that the crystal and emitter is replaced
with a training emitter. The training emitter creates a blade
that is completely non-lethal. At most, it can generate
a stun shock. Though of limited utility, these devices
do have the benefit of not being illegal—in the strictest
sense. A training emitter is a lightsaber crystal.
Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes a
lightsaber’s damage to 6 and its critical rating to —,
and the lightsaber gains the Stun Damage quality. If
the emitter is ever removed, the lightsaber loses this
quality, and reverts to its previous base damage and
critical rating.
Modification Options: None.
Hard Points Required: 2.
Price: 500 credits.

And then there is the optional Daunting "Crystal Attuning" that would give the Superior Quality (replacing the Superior Hilt Personalization)

The Barab Crystal still has the 2 Burn +1 mods, which still feels a little weird to me, but I'm not sure how to alter that.

Edited by Gigerstreak

I really support the idea of splitting up the crystal and emitter. This would make me a lot happier, and give techie characters a fixed place (the artisan would be a very powerful spec in the context of FAD, which IMO is good).

I think that is a happy medium between fluff, balance, and game mechanics.

Edit: Alternatively, Emitters could still occupy 2 slots and crystals could simply take up no slots. As they simply are required.

Not that it matters either way. just a thought, because then emitters could have more variation (training emitter could be 1 slot, traditional could be two, advanced could be three). Also, a basic LS could start with one fewer HP, and make tinkerer and other talents more advantageous. Passing thought.

Edited by Thebearisdriving

I was also thinking about making the Lightsaber 3 parts : Crystal, Hilt, Emitter... So I went and tried the 4 parts Lightsaber proposed in the above posts... It didn't work that well and I found that 3 part works best.

If you put the Crystal with the "Beam Gem Emitter", you'll have the same Stats has a fully modded F&D Crystal. I was able to drop the available mods on each crystal to an average of 3.

Take a look HERE .

What do you guys think ?

I actually like the idea floated earlier to mod the crystal with the Lightsaber skill, with the form talents SPECIFICALLY being allowed for this check. Thus, your Lightsaber skill reflects your "attunement" with your saber, both your skill in combat and getting the most out of it's hardware.

The more I think about it, the less I like using the attachment/mod system for lightsaber crystals. The consequences of failure on modding being permanent doesn't gel with lightsaber construction/maintenance the way it works for other weapons and vehicles.

What do you all think about having a talent-based system instead (or as a compliment to the existing system)? The lightsaber form specs can have one or two talents (Artisans can have two or three) that boost their lightsabers automatically, rather than making someone roll for it.

I really support the idea of splitting up the crystal and emitter.

Me, too. It would be nice to have a hilt, crystal and emitter "attachments", allowing some of the common crystal mods (like vicious) to be offloaded to the emitter.

Personnally, I think Crystals should come fully modded and leave the rest has is ; hp, mods and all.

Simple and easy to implement solution ;)

But if the Devs really want Crystals to be modded, then my suggestions is already up in a previous post.

Me, too. It would be nice to have a hilt, crystal and emitter "attachments", allowing some of the common crystal mods (like vicious) to be offloaded to the emitter.

I made a list of all the Lighstaber Crystals and tried to put the more common mods on the emitter.... unfortunately, not all Crystals have Vicious... the only stats that I found to offload on the emitter were Damage+1 and Critical-1.

Doing it any other way would mean that some Crystals would gain Vicious were they didn't have it.

Edited by JP_JP

Adding in my vote to add in the Emitter. My love for KotOR is strong and needs more satisfaction.

:D

I made a list of all the Lighstaber Crystals and tried to put the more common mods on the emitter.... unfortunately, not all Crystals have Vicious... the only stats that I found to offload on the emitter were Damage+1 and Critical-1.

Regardless, it's better than nothing. Maybe a Critical Emitter attachment (name needs work) with base benefit of crit-1 and extra damage mods?

Edited by Lorne

Regardless, it's better than nothing. Maybe a Critical Emitter attachment (name needs work) with base benefit of crit-1 and extra damage mods?

A Focused Emitter, with the stats for what is now a "basic hilt", and offload some mod options into it.

A Shoto Emitter, which is default on the Shoto and the Pike

A Training Emitter, does not need a crystal

Possibly a Widebeam Emtter, with different mod options.

Then you have a Pike hilt, Basic hilt, duelists's hilt, (because a curved hilt on a double saber or pike is just silly), and Double hilt.

Then the Crystals add unique abilities but only slightly change the damage properties of the weapon.

They have curved hilts on double sabers. Assaj had one.

I'd rather they not go too crazy with adding various lightsaber attachments. It's nice to have options, but I don't want this to wind up turning into D&D where you're more focused on tricking out your personal gear to its maximum potential than you are on advancing your character's innate abilities or their personal storyline.

The main thing I liked about the KOTOR games wasn't all the combinations to pimp your group's gear (which I accepted as being part and parcel of being a video game) but the storylines for the characters involved.

I'd rather they not go too crazy with adding various lightsaber attachments. It's nice to have options, but I don't want this to wind up turning into D&D where you're more focused on tricking out your personal gear to its maximum potential than you are on advancing your character's innate abilities or their personal storyline.

The main thing I liked about the KOTOR games wasn't all the combinations to pimp your group's gear (which I accepted as being part and parcel of being a video game) but the storylines for the characters involved.

I understand where you are coming from, but I can't help but feel the other way. I did enjoy Kotor's Crystal, Emitter, Lens, Hilt thing and it could be used to fit things to the EotE and AoR books.

The Basic Lightsaber could be the 5 HP hilt, add an Illum Crystal 6/2 with Breach and Sunder for 1 HP. Add a Focused Emitter (+1 damage, +3 damage +1 mods) for 2 hp, and then an Improved Beam Lens (Vicious 1, + 1 Vicious +1 mod) for another 1 HP, as well as a Diatium Energy Cell (Reduce the Critical by 1 to a minimum of 1) for the Last HP and now you have a 10/1 with Breach, Sunder, and Vicious 2.

Reduce the cost of the Crystals a little and add that to the different components and you have an EotE or AoR lightsaber, complete with 0 HP left.

At first this seems ridiculously complex, but if you compare it to a blaster rifle with A Night Vision scope, an extended Barrel, a Blaster Energy Dampener, and a Shadowsheath it really isn't that much different. As most melee mods can't be used on a lightsaber, it makes sense to add them to it's own group. This would really make the Artisan sing!

To keep things from going crazy, we don't need a Dueling Lens. We already have a Curved Hilt.

We don't need an Ion Emitter, we already have a Training Emitter.. but if the GM wanted to reskin things we already have to fit a Kotor Style game then they easily could. The biggest drawback I can see right now is just how easy it would be to mod these things. Instead of a 5 purple Impossible check, it would only be a Formidable to get the Emitter up to par.

Edited by Gigerstreak

Here's the thing though...

The only time we see Jedi or other lightsaber wielders obsessively tinkering with their lightsabers is in a video game . That's because to the Jedi, a lightsaber isn't "just another weapon" the way a blaster rifle would be to most mercenaries, but is an iconic element of their identity. To quote Obi-Wan from AotC, "this weapon is your life , Anakin!" It's seen as being more akin to a "badge of office" and a statement that they have completed a fundamental part of their training.

To be honest, I'm largely against the whole notion of treating lightsaber crystals as little more than attachments to be modified, but I accept that as a necessary element to keep standard lightsabers balanced with other weapons (something they certainly were not in EotE and AoR) but present a way for FaD PCs to eventually earn weapons of that caliber.

I suppose Dono, if that is your concern, how does your original suggestion help solve the problem. Seems that it would encourage it. ;)

I suppose Dono, if that is your concern, how does your original suggestion help solve the problem. Seems that it would encourage it. ;)

My problem is with adding things like emitters, power cells, focusing lens, and who knows what else as lightsaber attachments to allow players to fully pimp out their lightsabers.

Again, if it were strictly my call to make, I'd deep-six the entire modification process where crystals are concerned, or at least severely restrict how many modifications are allowed, such as no more than 3 modifications for each crystal type, tops . Meaning that the overpowered lightsabers found in EotE/AoR simply aren't achievable by a FaD character.

But, FFG has opted to go the route of making crystals be extremely modifiable, and enough folks are enjoying that aspect that my thoughts on the matter aren't like to result in any sweeping changes in the material at this point.

Fair enough. But loot quest 2013, or edge of the empire, did institute a robust and intricate modification system, which people playing would probably want to replicate in FaD.

I hear what you're saying, but adding a dedicated emitter isn't the same as making it KOTOR II. or SWTOR. it just adds a layer, and one that is referenced frequently in EU for certain characters. Plus it validates a common character archtype, the mechanically focused jedi, and has a tangible in game reward for that archtype.

My problem is with adding things like emitters, power cells, focusing lens, and who knows what else as lightsaber attachments to allow players to fully pimp out their lightsabers.

Again, if it were strictly my call to make, I'd deep-six the entire modification process where crystals are concerned, or at least severely restrict how many modifications are allowed, such as no more than 3 modifications for each crystal type, tops . Meaning that the overpowered lightsabers found in EotE/AoR simply aren't achievable by a FaD character.

But, FFG has opted to go the route of making crystals be extremely modifiable, and enough folks are enjoying that aspect that my thoughts on the matter aren't like to result in any sweeping changes in the material at this point.

I am a fan of the simple lightsaber. That said, the movies didn't go into much detail about their creation.

The games (and this is one, hopefully you get good ROLE players too) all put emphasis on mods. From Kotor, Kotor 2, TOR, The Force Unleashed 1, The Force Unleashed 2... all of these are fairly big hitters. My favorite Legends are Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, and Lowbacca building their own lightsabers. I LOVED I, Jedi. Corran's problem with his lightsabers. The uniqueness of Darth Mauls, or Dooku's lightsabers. They were all mods. The Basic Lightsaber is a good weapon, but not the EotE weapon that I came to respect. The idea that I get to get my weapon up to that level excites me. It gives me my own MacGuffin, and that is just to get it back to what we all thought we already had!

All of that tinkering could just be behind the scenes. I hope that it will be difficult to pick one crystal over another, hard to select an emitter, personal reflection on the Lens. I don't see these as simple min-max things. Sure, you can get a guy who goes for the Rocket Launcher in every group, but I think variation in lightsabers will make people feel more Unique. In the other systems, you could have the Melee Guy with the Axe. The Sniper. The Slugthrower. Etc. In a system where everyone has a Unique Lightsaber, nobodies is.

Adding some crunch to the fluff just makes it more personal. Plus, as a GM, you can rule however you like in your games. I for one am running with this, though I would prefer FFG sanctioned.

Edited by Gigerstreak

To be honest, I'm largely against the whole notion of treating lightsaber crystals as little more than attachments to be modified, but I accept that as a necessary element to keep standard lightsabers balanced with other weapons (something they certainly were not in EotE and AoR) but present a way for FaD PCs to eventually earn weapons of that caliber.

Why not entertain other options, then? This is the chance to try different things out.

What about having talent-driven upgrading. What about tying it to Force Rating, or even ranks in the Lightsaber skill?

Why not entertain other options, then? This is the chance to try different things out.

What about having talent-driven upgrading. What about tying it to Force Rating, or even ranks in the Lightsaber skill?

I'm for using the lightsaber skill (with form talents) for modifying the crystal. However, by offloading the majority of the crystal's mods to the mechanically-modded hilt or emitter, Lightsaber isnt a one stop shop for building an awesome saber fighter- except for the Guardian. (who has Inteligence as a saber stat)

I'd even put my foot down, but that's not gonna much good.