Emotional attachments, friends, family...the "fluff" of life...

By Blefuscu, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

we will have priests that are married to six wives, six children with each.

Call me monodominant fanatic if you want, but in my Dark Heresy games those who indulge in excessive sexual activity and are fixed on a number 6 are burned with flamethrowers.

The number bit there is the suspicious one, though, and not spawning many little guardsmen...

we will have priests that are married to six wives, six children with each.

Call me monodominant fanatic if you want, but in my Dark Heresy games those who indulge in excessive sexual activity and are fixed on a number 6 are burned with flamethrowers.

I was wondering if anyone would actually catch that... :D

I was at work when I made the original post and was rushed. I probably spent more time on the title than the opening query. The celibacy question was meant to open the floor to a number of questions I had about how folks running the game might be dealing with characters outside their players' party of Acolytes. I've learned a valuable lesson about taking more time when posting initial queries. Also just felt like as good a place as any to start posting questions here.

I don't post often, and I guess I'm a little thin-skinned because of that. Thanks for getting back on cps. I make my own opinions about folks, so don't worry about being unfairly judged. I'm here for shop talk about the game.

A bit off topic, but I thought of some actually humorous ways to bring sex into 40K.

-Planetary governor issues mandatory breeding policy so he can quickly amass enough skulls for his new starship.

-Sex education in the 41st millennium being regressive and lying in order to prevent the scourge of TEEN HERESY (for Slaanesh).

-Rogue Trader forced to find a supply of condoms for his ships crew or face a mutiny

-warrior acolyte convinced that he has to find a willing partner before each battle or it's bad luck (being careful to not allow the player to make this creepy)

-investigating a business selling "Genuine Ork Genitals!" As an aphrodisiac

These are pretty juvenile, but I think they are in keeping with the GRIMDARKNESS of 40K.

Also, I would like to hear other people's (non-creepy, non-explicit, non-r*pey) sexy story hooks. Let's see some senses of humor that aren't just insulting each other.

A bit off topic, but I thought of some actually humorous ways to bring sex into 40K.

A bit? that's kind of entirely almost the opposite point he was going for.

I see someone is lacking the sense of humor.

I see someone is lacking the sense of humor.

That, or someone doesn't see the humor in the situations you detailed? Not everyone will find the same thing funny.

TBH, sex-based plot-hooks are pretty much the only thing we avoid. Not because we dislike sex, but because several of our round RP online in MMOs etc. and that's the last thing they want to run into while playing PnP. Sorry, cannot deliver.

If you can't see the humor in acolytes investigating a group selling Ork Genitals, then I feel that we have no points to relate on. And yes, I say this knowing the lore behind how orks reproduce.

I play with a group of close friends (of both sexes), we've known each other for years and we're all pretty open about sexuality, so carnal pleasures do come up in our games - though nobody ever felt the need to describe things in too much detail, it's usually limited to "she starts unzipping her bodyglove as she pulls you towards the bed... cut to the morning after".

One "funny" sex-related situation I remember was when my feral warrior seduced a girl on his home planet who basically turned out to be a werewolf, and the fight started in a grapple, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Morangias

These are pretty juvenile, but I think they are in keeping with the GRIMDARKNESS of 40K.

Also, I would like to hear other people's (non-creepy, non-explicit, non-r*pey) sexy story hooks. Let's see some senses of humor that aren't just insulting each other.

I posted an example of a game with story built entirely upon sex life of one of the protagonist, and it ain't even grimdark. Billions of people dying horrible death, unspeakable atrocities commited to innocent victims of high-level power game that is love for a Rogue Trader dynasty heir - THAT is.

Another sex-related true-to-the-setting GRIMDARK plot hooks?

-A developed world suffering major economical difficulties can no longer keep up with imperial tithes, and a Governer makes a hard decision to follow the example of Krieg. Problem is, using child soldiers, drafting lots of people and beating them into mindless submition, using women as nothing but warm bodies forced to work as soldiers "reward for service", giving birth to new generation of would-be guardsmen and sex slaves in the process did not sit well with the populace. Inquisitorial team was dispatched to contact the Governor, investigate the protest movement and avoid another civil war in the sector.

-A high-ranking official (Governor, Rogue Trader, General-Militant, Sector Admiral, Inquisitor) is secretly in a relationship with someone whose reputation or social stance would ensure a scandal should this affair ever become public - an underhive scum, someone who is secretly a mutant, rogue psyker, xenos, convicted criminal or worse. Said official is willing to commit crimes to hide his relationship, and then to hide previous crimes, and he's good at covering his tracks. When Arbites investigators fail to get through the webway of lies, bribery, threats and murders, Inquisition interferes.

-Someone way above you in stance - your own master, Lord-Inquisitor, man or woman officially declared a Living Saint, Sororitas Canoness or something like that - is madly in love with one of the PCs. This someone will or will not express these feelings to the PC, but he can rest assured that ANYONE of the opposite sex he meets and expresses sympathy towards is going to mysteriously disappear. Uncovering the machinations of your "lover" will not cure the jealousness, whether you accept those feelings or reject them.

Edited by Chaplain

I posted an example of a game with story built entirely upon sex life of one of the protagonist, and it ain't even grimdark. Billions of people dying horrible death, unspeakable atrocities commited to innocent victims of high-level power game that is love for a Rogue Trader dynasty heir - THAT is.

Another sex-related true-to-the-setting GRIMDARK plot hooks?

-A developed world suffering major economical difficulties can no longer keep up with imperial tithes, and a Governer makes a hard decision to follow the example of Krieg. Problem is, using child soldiers, drafting lots of people and beating them into mindless submition, using women as nothing but warm bodies forced to work as soldiers "reward for service", giving birth to new generation of would-be guardsmen and sex slaves in the process did not sit well with the populace. Inquisitorial team was dispatched to contact the Governor, investigate the protest movement and avoid another civil war in the sector.

-A high-ranking official (Governor, Rogue Trader, General-Militant, Sector Admiral, Inquisitor) is secretly in a relationship with someone whose reputation or social stance would ensure a scandal should this affair ever become public - an underhive scum, someone who is secretly a mutant, rogue psyker, xenos, convicted criminal or worse. Said official is willing to commit crimes to hide his relationship, and then to hide previous crimes, and he's good at covering his tracks. When Arbites investigators fail to get through the webway of lies, bribery, threats and murders, Inquisition interferes.

-Someone way above you in stance - your own master, Lord-Inquisitor, man or woman officially declared a Living Saint, Sororitas Canoness or something like that - is madly in love with one of the PCs. This someone will or will not express these feelings to the PC, but he can rest assured that ANYONE of the opposite sex he meets and expresses sympathy towards is going to mysteriously disappear. Uncovering the machinations of your "lover" will not cure the jealousness, whether you accept those feelings or reject them.

I think those are cool-sounding hooks other than the sex slave thing, which I wouldn't be comfortable playing with a group. Seems too heavy to be much fun. And I meant GRIMDARK more in the sense of older 40K which was more about over-the-top excessiveness and tongue-in-cheek humor.

I like the one about having a jealous lover or a weirdo stalker because they cut closer to normal human emotions. I think a story should have something to do with regular relatable human frailties. Like in my examples there were things like hubris, ignorance, practicality, and so on. I think it's important to keep in mind that the players are playing individual people. The effects they have on things, and the way they relate to the setting, is through other individuals. It allows a sense of levity to the game that gives contrast to the grimness and makes it stick out more.

And I meant GRIMDARK more in the sense of older 40K which was more about over-the-top excessiveness and tongue-in-cheek humor.

Old 40k is more crazy awesome than GRIMDARK. And if you want that in your game (and I see zero reasons why you wouldn't) - think of your acolytes as James Bonds IN SPACE. What do you have in any self-respecting story about Agent 007? That's right - Bond Girls!

Bond girls are like the worst part of the Bond movies, other than the funny but terrible pun names they're given.

Also, I would consider the old 40K to be GRIMDARK given that they had an ork warboss named after Margaret Thatcher and, of course, everyone's favorite inquisitor, Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau . Seriously. That's the dude's name.

Yeah, what you're describing isn't grim or dark in terms of tone. Which isn't wrong, but it's just not grimdark. Krieg is pretty grim and dark it's only purpose is to put meat in the grinder which means lots of breeding (and some accused cloning) if that means soldier's brothels then that's simply what it means. Gaunt's Ghosts describes that in the trail of people that follow the regiment around there are prostitutes as well.

But yeah, nothing is stopping you from making a light and entertaining game centering around the idea of selling what amounts to little more than large green mushrooms as aphrodisiacs.

Old 40k is more crazy awesome than GRIMDARK

Genestealer. Cults. Limos.

:)

I love that people are taking the word grimdark and assuming it just means REALLY grim or REALLY dark. This as opposed to putting it in the context of "No, my guy is better because he's a super mega deathlord and yours is just a mega deathlord."

Krieg is pretty grim and dark it's only purpose is to put meat in the grinder which means lots of breeding (and some accused cloning) if that means soldier's brothels then that's simply what it means.

One man's logical leap to sex slaves is another man's logical leap to cloning vats or weird enforced breeding laws ("All adults must find a mate by the age of 25 or be sent to the skull mines!"). The system can easily be made grim and interpreted without adding things that are hurtful or offensive to people playing. I said earlier, maybe in another thread, that the only time I'll judge someone for having these things come up is either if it's really obviously creepy or if the same weird themes keep coming up over and over.

I love that people are taking the word grimdark and assuming it just means REALLY grim or REALLY dark. This as opposed to putting it in the context of "No, my guy is better because he's a super mega deathlord and yours is just a mega deathlord."

One man's logical leap to sex slaves is another man's logical leap to cloning vats or weird enforced breeding laws ("All adults must find a mate by the age of 25 or be sent to the skull mines!").

You don't seem to understand my point, Krieg's tithe to the Administratum is soldiers, plain and simple. Cloning is highly illegal, and they wouldn't be allowed to make laws that kill people for not mating. That isn't to say they're slaves, some interpretations have mothers considered very honored in the society for their contribution.

Grimdark is a combination of two words that each define a tone of setting. Since they can be considered synonyms they do play off of eachother. However I make no assumptions, this is simply my opinion on the matter.

Edited by ThenDoctor

One man's logical leap to sex slaves is another man's logical leap to cloning vats or weird enforced breeding laws ("All adults must find a mate by the age of 25 or be sent to the skull mines!").

You don't seem to understand my point, Krieg's tithe to the Administratum is soldiers, plain and simple. Cloning is highly illegal, and they wouldn't be allowed to make laws that kill people for not mating. That isn't to say they're slaves, some interpretations have mothers considered very honored in the society for their contribution.

Grimdark is a combination of two words that each define a tone of setting. Since they can be considered synonyms they do play off of eachother. However I make no assumptions, this is simply my opinion on the matter.

This seems like a silly debate, but the rumors of cloning going on are pretty much a big red flag for GM's setting an adventure there to HAVE cloning, or have something more interesting. I personally find "sex slaves" to be pretty boring, in addition to creepy, so I don't see why it would be worth including.

Also, the mandatory sentence to the skull mines is not a death sentence, Imperial Citizen. It is a call to serve the Emperor in adorning his ships and heraldry. You may retire from the skull mines after the standard 90 revolutions, as is every Imperial Citizen's right.

There's a lot of ways one could interpret the situation on Krieg. Some sources mention something called "iron wombs", which could easily be interpreted as cloning (which source contained the idea that it's outlawed? given that GW mentioned cloned Guardsmen in the form of the so-called Afriel strain) or, alternatively, as a sort of incubator where a fetus is transferred into after extraction from a natural mother, cutting down the pregnancy to something like 1-2 months.
Personally, I also don't find the idea of forced prostitution creepy - but perhaps that is because I've come to see sexuality much like violence, meaning that neither is sacred, whereas our culture tends to celebrate violence but oppress sexuality (at least publicly, which leads to a pretty silly hypocrisy concerning what goes on behind closed doors). I will add, however, that I would not play a topic like this with "any" group, but only with specific people whom I would deem capable of dealing with such a scenario in a mature manner.
In fact, I'd probably prefer to restrict such themes to online games, rather than a "real" session on the table. Simply because I've found that in online games, people have it a lot easier to remain in character and focus on the roleplaying, whereas on the table I am not sure that the horror of something like a WW2-style pleasure house could be adequately conveyed in a normal game where there is far more (OOC) interaction between and thus distraction for the players.
But by itself, it is a theme as valid for this setting as any ritual mass murder or daemon killing spree.

Someone way above you in stance - your own master, Lord-Inquisitor, man or woman officially declared a Living Saint, Sororitas Canoness or something like that - is madly in love with one of the PCs.

Pleeeeeeeeeease let's just keep the Sororitas out of this.

Sex and sexuality can easily be included in the game - the exact form and function dependent on the types of players in one's group - but not everything must be twisted to this purpose. There are countless ways to insert sexuality that are more natural and would not necessitate to change or adjust fairly established themes and properties.

This is where it would start to get creepy for me. Especially considering the amount of rule 34 targeted at SoB out there. :P

Who cares? It is just make believe. Sorry, but I was raised knowing there is a reality, fantasy, and a massively wide chasm that separates the two. What effects one thing does not effect the other.

Seriously why should battle nuns be any different? Why should they be spared from rule 34 when so many other things fall victim to that? Well not really a victim since it is made up fantasy. As long as their creators aka Games Workshop is not doing it why should we care for what one person does in the lonely corners of the internet?

I swear most of you people get all dramatic over the dumbest things. It is no wonder the older generations are looking at us as if we lost our minds. We are having a discussion over the morality of made up pretendy stuff that has and will never have a impact in real life.

First world problem much people? There are real people in the world that get killed base on their gender alone in third world countries yet what attention do they get? ******* none because we are too busy taking fake things too seriously. Seriously we had a discussion over pronouns and one of us accused the thread creator of being a sexual creep. Wake the **** up people. Just wake the **** up.

Edited by Snowman0147

If that's how you prefer it, knock yourself out.

Personally, I prefer if some few things remain sacrosanct. Both because of my own decision to stick to how they were written by Games Workshop, but also because I consider it creepy if someone were to be thus fixated on dismantling something that was obviously intended to be about 110% purity. For some people, this only makes them want to attack it even more, but even though I can understand this notion, I won't subscribe to it.

And I say this as someone who otherwise enjoys playing skimpy-clothed cyberpunk chicks or assassins in skintight bodygloves.

In my opinion, there is a time and place for everything in 40k. Even sex. But the Sororitas are not it. Otherwise you really do end up making them some random girl from next door in power armour, because hey, obviously they aren't that different from normal people after all. :P

Your approach is probably more in line with FFG's version of Sororitas and Acts of Faith, though, given that here, everyone can learn them, so apparently you don't need a crazy-isolated penitent lifestyle after all to do that sort of stuff.

But as theirs is not the version I am following, I'm just being consequent.

Edited by Lynata

Ciaphas Cain series shows an exemplar of sororitas having a romantical relationship, and it doesn't interfere with her image of pure, fanatical champion of ecclesiarchy. I have zero problems with that.

If you are distracted by sheer amount of SOB r34 on the web, beleive that aura of sanctity would disappear if sororitas arent celibate, or think that your group will have none of it - by all means, use another powerful individual if you liked the creepy admirer plot hook.

Ciaphas Cain series shows an exemplar of sororitas having a romantical relationship, and it doesn't interfere with her image of pure, fanatical champion of ecclesiarchy.

Well, that would seem to be in the eye of the beholder. To me, a person who enjoys social gatherings with people very much not used to one's own penitent lifestyle, who likes to drink, play games of chance, and even flirt with them, certainly doesn't embody any image of purity I could think of. Most decidedly not that of virgin Jeanne d'Arc, on whom the Sisters were partially based.

That this novel places her in a role of training the next generation of Sororitas only makes it worse.

But then again, we are talking about a series of books where the main character wouldn't even get the job he was assigned if the author would've followed GW's explanation of how the Schola Progenium works and filters its students. Swallow's version of the Schola Progenium quite simply doesn't seem to be as "hardcore" - and so, in a way it's only consistent that it produces graduates who are more human than the ones in GW's version of the setting.

But hey, the fluff is malleable and there is no true canon, so we're both right, just in different worlds. This is really just another example of why it's good for a group to talk about every player's idea of life in the 41st millennium (or at least gauge their opinion on certain key topics) before the game starts. A common ground is, I think, necessary for everyone to have fun, as it'll obviously affect people's immersion.

Edited by Lynata