Emotional attachments, friends, family...the "fluff" of life...

By Blefuscu, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I mean... imagine a romantic entanglement WITH THE INQUISITOR! Or a different inquisitor! Great meat for good stories.

I feel reminded of the Inquisition War novel trilogy. Though I thought that "Inquisitor" was a good read in general. :)

Woops. The only Warhammer book I've read is the first Gotrek & Felix omnibus. No WH40K. So if it's already happened, I'm ignorant of it. :P

Edited by LordPasty

Haven't gotten around to reading Inquisiton War, haven't read that new Bastion trilogy either.

If you haven't read any WH40K material and are interested at all in Inquisitorial activity the best place to start is Abnett. Eisenhorn is the most well known, Ravenor I feel is good for team dynamics. Abnett wrote the short story in the introduction of the second edition core as well.

However having a romantic entanglement with your inquisitor sounds much more dangerous than anything else. There needs to be boundaries, it's like sleeping with your boss just a terrible idea all around.

I have to echo what others have said Blefuscu......You must read the Eisenhorn omnibus.

Woops. The one Warhammer books I've read are the first three Gotrek & Felix. No WH40K. So if it's already happened, I am ignorant of it. :P

Eh, the novels are pretty much hit and miss, anyways. Lots of different authors all with their own styles, and background contradictions around every corner. Still, I suppose they're worth a look - I daresay any kind of player is bound to find some author or title that appeals to them. In a way, you could almost say Black Library mirrors GW's "pick what you like" attitude there, making sure to offer something for everyone.

The only tricky thing is finding an author that suits your preferred theme and vision of 40k - it's why I tend to recommend the short story anthologies to new readers, for they tend to offer a good selection of stories from a dozen different people. Once you've narrowed it down to what you'd like to read more about, you could delve deeper into it. ;)

That being said, apart from the oooold Inquisition War trilogy, I think only Abnett is actually writing Inquisition stuff, so that kind of minimises the selection. It's like Sisters fans only having James Swallow to turn to. :lol:

Personally, I don't really like some of Abnett's ideas for the background, but I can appreciate his storytelling style.

That being said, apart from the oooold Inquisition War trilogy, I think only Abnett is actually writing Inquisition stuff, so that kind of minimises the selection.

There was a fairly recent book, Atlas Infernal , featuring radical Inquisitor Czevak- but it's not very good.

And I advise against reading the old Inquisition War trilogy unless you are already well-versed in 40K lore, because it contains a ton of stuff that has been RetConned over the years...

Edited by Adeptus-B

I've actually tried to perpetuate this in the game that I ran with the first beta by encouraging each character to write journals about their experiences during a session, awarding each character 50-100xp for each entry. The 40k universe is so dehumanizing that I feel like it's crucial to have a private, humanizing element to it. Romance is a common theme in two out of the three characters.

I'll post them here, for those who are interested. I can't take credit for any of these, they are all my players' works.

The characters served under a self-doubting radical Inquisitor, who is aware that his dabblings may eventually lead him down a path that he can never return from. He has developed a romance with his Interrogator, but makes no public demonstration of it. They are both passionately dedicated to their professional lives. She's dear to him, but he's concerned because she's been actively dabbling in sorcery. Since both are members of the Polypsykana faction, the Interrogator has been able to convince the Inquisitor that her efforts are for the betterment of the cause, but his feelings for her keep him in constant doubt as to her well-being.

Marienne Beaumont: A Highborn, Adeptus Astra Telepathic Chirurgeon. Marienne Beaumont is concerned with accruing power no matter the cost, and has married herself to a daemonhost named Yemen-ba'al. Bearing a Mark of Tzeentch, she is constantly aware of her own moral degeneration and her appalling amount of power. Her marriage to the daemonhost frightens her constantly, trapping her in her own lust for power. Her journals start here: http://polypsykana-chronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Marienne_Beaumont_-_Journa ls

Of especial note is her journalistic style, writing much like an academic and referencing fictitious Imperial literature. Her poetry is also fantastic. The player is an excellent writer.

Sessillie Roth: An Adeptus Astra Telepathica Sage (non-psyker) who developed a romance with a neurotic Adept named Mallochai, Playing out this romance was one of the most enjoyable experiences of the campaign. Her patron saint is Saint Denorus, a saint of fertility. The player had relatively no experience with the 40k universe, so I really enjoy her take on it. The journals are here: http://polypsykana-chronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Sessillie_Roth-_Journals

They begin after Mallochai, an agent of a Monodominant Inquisitor who is a mortal enemy of the party's Inquisitor, is jailed.

Caradoc Magnus: An Adeptus Mechanicus Assassin, Magnus is the Inquisitor's most trusted agent. He keeps a detailed journal of the cell's experiences, and is the most devout of the trio. His journals are here: http://polypsykana-chronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Caradoc_Magnus-_Journals

I hope these can be of use to someone.

I also reccomend seeking out the works of Reason, who posted a number of plot seeds on rpgnet that are absolutely fantastic and perfectly in line with this thread.

Edited by Kainus

Well there you go Blefuscu and you thought this wouldn't be an interesting post.

Being an older person myself I also like the idea of adding a bit of each character's personal life into the game myself, it helps bring the game to life and when I am the GM it also helps me tailor the game more specifically to the characters as well, giving them reasons to do what they do and consequences for their actions.

This goes for all relationships though not just romantic ones, it might be children, or nieces and nephews, friends and family members or anyone who is important to the character. I think this is one thing that FFG and role-playing games in general seem to miss.

Not that I mind intrigue and a little bit of combat but I really like the personal touches.

And I advise against reading the old Inquisition War trilogy unless you are already well-versed in 40K lore, because it contains a ton of stuff that has been RetConned over the years...

Ah, you could say the same about FFG's take on various elements of the fluff.

I think in general it's important that people are aware that the different books, regardless of their origin, are not meant to be taken as some sort of biblical truth that extends over the entire IP. Personally, I'd prefer a more solid canon a la Battletech myself, but it's not my franchise - and the "pick and choose" approach does have its advantages sometimes.

I prefer the approach of take what you like, burn the rest. If you like a part of the universe over a different interpretation then take it and if anyone gets in a huff you say it's your interpretation. If you're running the game and a player throws a fit, then say you're the GM you run the universe in this case.

Though, of course the preferred approach should be a "common ground", just so that everyone can have fun. :)

It's a challenge for sure if you have a party of players whose vision of the setting differs from one another, but I like to think that a clever GM could find a way! A lot of stuff can be "excused" by pointing to local differences, anyways ... not everything, but a lot.

Edited by Lynata

First things first. Welcome to the forums. :) Refreshments left, snacks right. Second, I couldn't help noticing your triple-posting. There's an edit function, lower right on your posted... posts. As a friendly suggestion, I suggest you use it unless your posts are slow and far between.

[...]

Are Inquisitors celibate?

While the Inquisition has religious overtones, it's not technically a religious institution. And either way, the actual Imperial Faith varies a lot and I would be surprised if a great many of the cults and sects didn't prize the procreation of humanity as part of Humanity's manifest destiny.

Well, I'm more interested in roleplaying than "roll"-playing, so that's part of it. Wouldn't expect this to interest the 12-14 year olds out there.

Why do they have to marry?

Given the need for manpower, why isn't Imperial society structured differently to the 'nuclear family'?

The last thing the Imperium want is a large amount of largely dispossessed and rootless populations that distrusts authority and social structure, whether paternal or maternal, depending on circumstance and culture.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why in the name of all that is good in the world would you introduce this into your campaign?

I've been active in that campaign for some time and it never really came up. To be honest, I considered it a simple background element based on the Inquisitor's foresight and/or previous experience with other Acolytes or even his own persona. The potential risks associated with unchecked sexual contact are a valid concern.

If I were to play in an Only War campaign I would not be surprised about this or a drug that suppresses the sex drive entirely either, simply because the latter would be a reference to a common rumor about military service.

Secondly, there's a Campaign by Braddoc with Lynata? Omfgbbq how do I get in?! :D

On a sidenote, I have to agree with cps that this is a bit of a strange question I would not necessarily associate having anything to do with maturity - not gonna pass judgement, though, as I don't know OP well enough yet, and his comment in post #11 does explain why he'd ask it. Would have probably been better to mention this right away to prevent any misunderstandings. ;)

It's about as common and understandable as "Can Space Marines have children?" and "Are sisters of Battle celibate?".

There's also actual reasons as to why these questions are asked that are entirely reasonable, for the same reasons celibacy has been a thing in reality for so long. Clearly, for the Sisters of Battle, their celibacy has nothing to do with rearing children - if that was the whole deal, we know for a fact that there's sterilization procedures that they might go through.

But you don't get called "Bride of the Emperor" for nothing.

Either way, when it comes to your own Sterilization Drug-thing, I suggest that it's simply long-term contraceptives. After all, sterilizing people might not be the best thing to do. It's pretty irreversible. But there's long-term contraceptives in the real world that act for a very long time through simple injection. I'm not saying it's the best option, just that it's there. But clearly, your Inquisitor or Commander hates you.

Thanks! I'm excited to dig into this new edition of DH. I may have the party's patron Inquisitor's personal life intersect and interfere with their in-game lives now and then.

Frankly, discussing this kind of thing also helps me get over a creative wall I always run into when thinking about 40K as a setting for roleplay. The universe most often comes across to me as a thin veneer of flesh draped over a miniature game. The combat's great, but as a GM I'm interested in what a Space Marine looks like outside of his armor. What kind of uniform does he wear at a court function? What kind of menagerie does he have in attendance with him? Etc. That sort of thing.

A Space Marine Power Armour is (almost in a literal sense) a second skin, highly valued by the individual Space Marines, a symbol of the God-Emperor's Angels of Death, proclaimed sacred by the Tech-Priests that maintain it. An Admiral might show up in his dress uniform, a General will be covered in his medals. To the Space Marines, I can imagine no more prominent badge of office and symbol of his esteemed and elevated position than his meticulously maintained Power Armour, even if it has bullet holes in it, each of them a symbol of his service to Humanity.

And I'm sure Lynata will correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a challenge for sure if you have a party of players whose vision of the setting differs from one another,

When I started work on my campaign, one of the first things I did was start a ‘Canon Deviations & Clarifications’ document to make available to all of the players. It outlines the few outright changes that I made and, with regard to the many cases of conflicting canon, establishes what the campaign’s official take on it is. This will hopefully prevent players who are familiar with the lore from being blindsided by things not being quite the way they expect.

Secondly, there's a Campaign by Braddoc with Lynata? Omfgbbq how do I get in?! :D

And I'm sure Lynata will correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Fgdsfg, I would kill to join that campaign especially if Lynata is playing a Sister of Battle.

I also agree with correction, and like what I learn whem I am corrected by him/her.

It's a challenge for sure if you have a party of players whose vision of the setting differs from one another,

When I started work on my campaign, one of the first things I did was start a ‘Canon Deviations & Clarifications’ document to make available to all of the players. It outlines the few outright changes that I made and, with regard to the many cases of conflicting canon, establishes what the campaign’s official take on it is. This will hopefully prevent players who are familiar with the lore from being blindsided by things not being quite the way they expect.

It is my experience that even people that are well-acquaintanced with the setting frequently have differing ideas on key topics. For example, I have a guy that's actually very well-versed in the setting be convinced that the Departmento Munitorum and the Imperial Guard was the same thing, and didn't differentiate between the Imperial Fleets and the Imperial Navy.

I've simply told my players that when the fluff and what I say conflicts, my interpretation takes precedence and then we can discuss it afterwards. There's really no reason for me to underline the exact differences, because the characters they play are essentially "blank" anyway, in regard to much of the ongoings of the Imperium or the nature of this or that.

So unless it's truly key parts of the universe that have changed, making key assumptions invalid, such as the God-Emperor sitting on his throne or Rowboat Girlyman being awful, I wouldn't bother making such a document.

I can see how it could be warranted for key issues, though, of course. But as a general rule, there's no reason to put spotlight on changes that may not be part of the lives of the characters at all. For example, Lynata and I were writing briefly about the Sisters of Silence the other day, and they exist in my headcanon, but not in Lynata's. The fact that they exist in my universe has exactly zero bearing on the campaign I'm running, so why would I spotlight it to my players?

I love the idea of my players having somewhat different interpretations of the fluff. It enforces their character's misconceptions and makes them do mistakes. Funny people, they should've realized by now that what they think doesn't matter. This reality is mine, and they are my pawns.

Wooosh, all of Ultramar just disappeared. It will never affect them. But Ultramar has fallen. They will never know, we could run this campaign for 10 years, Ultramar has fallen, but it will never be relevant to them in their small, pathetic little lives. Mwahahahaha.

Heh, not anymore .. at least I am not currently active anywhere aside from an irregular German-language Black Crusade game we have established as "plan b" when someone from our Dragon Age campaign (what I usually do on Saturdays) doesn't show up.

I've played a load of games with Brad, though - three of the characters in my signature are all from his campaigns, and once we did a WHFRP one too. It's been some fun ... months? years? I don't actually remember how long we were gaming. Time flies so fast! Which is the reason for why I've currently limited myself to one P&P session per week, even though it's veeery tempting to get sucked into a new game.

Maybe some day, all depending on how much work is draining my brain. I'd be tempted to revive my Valhallan sniper (considering she got waaagh'd right after the dropship set down, Starship Troopers-style), but a Sororitas, be it a fully-fledged Sister or perhaps a Novice, would obviously be relevant to my interests as well. Just ... I'd probably have to insist on houseruling her into something less "flashy". :P In retrospect I was quite a bit disappointed in BoM, and would have preferred something more grounded like the first iteration in Inquisitor's Handbook. Unfortunately, DH2 seems to stick to the "space magic" interpretation.

I realize that the question was a bit rhetorical, but Space Marines out of their armours wear robes, mostly, and at a court function, I cannot see a Space Marine wearing anything other than his Power Armour, polished to shine and with all the gears oiled.

This is not a correction , but my interpretation even goes a bit further, in that Space Marines wear their armour at all times , excepting the 4 hour sleep period and medical examination, as well as perhaps some special training courses and exercises (here, their attire might be Chapter-specific, reflecting its homeworld culture).

That's just a gut-feeling based on some old artworks, though, and the concept that there's no good reason for them to slip out of their armour. Humans do it because it feels more comfortable, but apart from power armour feeling like a part of the body, a Marine might even aspire to this lack of comfort as a matter of pride ("we are this hardcore") ... and because it prevents them from having to spend half an hour (another approximation based on personal experience with medieval armour) getting ready for battle if their Fortress-Monastery gets attacked.

Imagine how awkward it'd be to be late in a time of crisis just because you couldn't get your pants on!

As every so often, it's simply a matter of interpretation. And it's such a minor detail, few people would be miffed even if you don't do it according to their opinion. At least I wouldn't be bothered, and I'm a stickler for fluff. :P

Just ignore him. Cps has issues dealing with gender and society, letting it often spill over into fantasy universes.

smilie14.gif

That's a pretty great idea!

Of course, Fgdsfg has a point in that it would be unnecessary to list things that do not show up in your campaign, but I'm sure there's bound to be stuff where the group would still benefit from some coordination between the different visions, or at the least preparing the players so that those changes don't catch them off-guard.

My Dragon Age group did something remotely similar when we tried Classic Deathwatch . :D

Edited by Lynata

Heh, not anymore .. at least I am not currently active anywhere aside from an irregular German-language Black Crusade game we have established as "plan b" when someone from our Dragon Age campaign (what I usually do on Saturdays) doesn't show up.

I've played a load of games with Brad, though - three of the characters in my signature are all from his campaigns, and once we did a WHFRP one too. It's been some fun ... months? years? I don't actually remember how long we were gaming. Time flies so fast! Which is the reason for why I've currently limited myself to one P&P session per week, even though it's veeery tempting to get sucked into a new game.

Maybe some day, all depending on how much work is draining my brain. I'd be tempted to revive my Valhallan sniper (considering she got waaagh'd right after the dropship set down, Starship Troopers-style), but a Sororitas, be it a fully-fledged Sister or perhaps a Novice, would obviously be relevant to my interests as well. Just ... I'd probably have to insist on houseruling her into something less "flashy". :P In retrospect I was quite a bit disappointed in BoM, and would have preferred something more grounded like the first iteration in Inquisitor's Handbook. Unfortunately, DH2 seems to stick to the "space magic" interpretation.

I realize that the question was a bit rhetorical, but Space Marines out of their armours wear robes, mostly, and at a court function, I cannot see a Space Marine wearing anything other than his Power Armour, polished to shine and with all the gears oiled.

This is not a correction , but my interpretation even goes a bit further, in that Space Marines wear their armour at all times , excepting the 4 hour sleep period and medical examination, as well as perhaps some special training courses and exercises (here, their attire might be Chapter-specific, reflecting its homeworld culture).

That's just a gut-feeling based on some old artworks, though, and the concept that there's no good reason for them to slip out of their armour. Humans do it because it feels more comfortable, but apart from power armour feeling like a part of the body, a Marine might even aspire to this lack of comfort as a matter of pride ("we are this hardcore") ... and because it prevents them from having to spend half an hour (another approximation based on personal experience with medieval armour) getting ready for battle if their Fortress-Monastery gets attacked.

Imagine how awkward it'd be to be late in a time of crisis just because you couldn't get your pants on!

As every so often, it's simply a matter of interpretation. And it's such a minor detail, few people would be miffed even if you don't do it according to their opinion. At least I wouldn't be bothered, and I'm a stickler for fluff. :P

Just ignore him. Cps has issues dealing with gender and society, letting it often spill over into fantasy universes.

smilie14.gif

That's a pretty great idea!

Of course, Fgdsfg has a point in that it would be unnecessary to list things that do not show up in your campaign, but I'm sure there's bound to be stuff where the group would still benefit from some coordination between the different visions, or at the least preparing the players so that those changes don't catch them off-guard.

My Dragon Age group did something remotely similar when we tried Classic Deathwatch . :D

If you guys ever do start that game let me know! I've never done an online (Skype) type game but I'd be willing to try with this bunch! :D

BTW Lynata; What's with the wagging finger? As another person that's been subjected to that kind of personal attack, I would give the same advice! (As someone gave to me at the time!)

<____________________________<

Dammit, there are just too many good people one would like to play a campaign with or systems for one live... why's there no rejuv-treatment available by now? I mean, seriously!

To the overall topic, well, the question is a good one, considering that, despite being about humanities survival, normal humans tend to get slightly marginalized and pigeonholed into a certain "badass survivor" sort of trope... the ones still standing when the dust settles, ready to dispense more justice and stuff.

However, humans are still just humans, with feelings and emotions and I feel roleplaying a normal human with fears and weaknesses is one of the more difficult things.

In fact, I always wanted to GM a campaign or take part in one which depicts the slow fall of a few people into corruption... "Good Intentions lead to damnation" and stuff. Well, maybe it works with the Campaign I'll be GMing starting next Month :D

As far as the fluff of life goes, in our Dark Heresy campaign, I'm more than happy to incorporate character backstories, including family and friends. Our current mission is on one character's homeworld, Vostroya, and may or may not involve her family (I'm just going to remain intentionally vague there until it's played out...Yes, I know you're reading this :P ). The overall campaign premise touches in another character's backstory as having fled the segmentum pacificum after the widespread rebellion there, and will likely turn into missions centred around reasserting imperial control over the Segmentum. I definitely plan to involve said character's homeworld, and, depending on details given until then by the player, might put the character's family/friends in jeapordy or otherwise involved in the rebellion or reclamation somehow, as a small side-arc or pivitol plot-point.

So yes, as a DM, I enjoy knowing about and being able to push more buttons to get my players' chars motivated or otherwise "involved" in a mission.

BTW Lynata; What's with the wagging finger? As another person that's been subjected to that kind of personal attack, I would give the same advice! (As someone gave to me at the time!)

Ah, it just seemed way aggressive, especially considering that the two of them have a bit of a history. Which is quite sad, as I seem to get along splendidly with both - but on the topic of social issues I feel I'd be firmly on cps' side.

The only thing I'd agree on is that he should have worded his criticism more .. cautiously. But I considered it over and done with after my own response, and would fear that such a judgmental comment comes with a risk not only to re-ignite it but also lead to a limited flamewar between the posters. I'm sure we don't need this here, hence the wagging finger.

I'm sorry, I must sound like a teacher... :P

Your post allows me to add something I forgot earlier, though! -->

I don't really see why it would be a strange question. It's actually a pretty common question, I think, and perfectly understandable, given the undertones of the setting. There's a reason Dark Heresy is also known as Catholic Space Nazis.

It's about as common and understandable as "Can Space Marines have children?" and "Are sisters of Battle celibate?".

I have to admit, those other two questions are just as suspicious to me. The fact they are common is even more worrisome. :P

But let me clarify: In truth, those things are actually quite interesting to discuss, and I have in the past shared my thoughts on them all. However, I feel that the way someone asks these questions is directly related to what kind of response they'd have to expect. Is it part of a greater query in terms of a character's daily life? Or is it a blunt "do X have sex"?

Because the latter does kind of come across as if you've got a poster whose interest in X currently revolves primarily about banging them, or banging someone as them. And yeah, though this can play a part in RPGs, I would consider it a bit weird if someone were to be that focused on this aspect (the Space Marine thread had more than two dozen pages!), and possibly even disrespectful to X's background (I'm sure we all know that Sisters of Battle are a very popular target for rule #34).

OP has since clarified his exact reasons for the query - and so I think that all we have here is a misunderstanding that could have been avoided if those reasons had been mixed in with the question, rather than proposing it in isolation. ;)

No harm done, I hope?

*rolls for diplomacy*

If you guys ever do start that game let me know! I've never done an online (Skype) type game but I'd be willing to try with this bunch! :D

Oh boy, you people are seriously starting to tempt me. :P

Edited by Lynata

I wouldn't worry about a flame war between me and fdsfsdg now that he's got me on ignore. My opinion of him is still below sea level but he's chosen to put blinders on getting called out on the **** he says.

I'm going to stand by my reaction to the OP. He rambles on for a bit and his first question to open the discussion is whether inquisitors **** other people. That was the conversation he wanted to have, and the rest of it was backtracking (I laughed real hard about the role/rollplay bit). He could have asked any number of questions about how to get his players to flesh their characters back-stories out or how to tie their past into the campaign, but he opened on a question of sex. That's creepy to me.

[...]

The only thing I'd agree on is that he should have worded his criticism more .. cautiously. But I considered it over and done with after my own response, and would fear that such a judgmental comment comes with a risk not only to re-ignite it but also lead to a limited flamewar between the posters. I'm sure we don't need this here, hence the wagging finger.

Every once in a while I see him trying to throw molotovs around or push more nonexistant issues onto others, the odd ad hominem there, the sudden strawman there, purely through the quotes in other's posts, but given that I and a great many have chosen to simply put him on ignore, the only ones in real "danger" of getting dragged into his personal issues are newcomers to the forum, hence the warning.

Especially since Blefuscu seemed liable to take the bait.

No harm done, I hope?

*rolls for diplomacy*

Also, Diplomacy is a terrible skill. I originally included it in my homebrew, wrote a nice entry and everything. Then I realized that it was horribly convoluted and that it's really something that is already covered by other social Skills and would be better served being roleplayed out.

I think there's a reason it only appeared in The Lathe Worlds and were then swiftly forgotten in Only War and Dark Heresy 2.

Also, I think it's an Opposed Skill Test, and unless I'm mistaken, my own Diplomacy is terrible. :D

Edited by Fgdsfg

I agree with much that has been said here about fleshing out characters pasts to make the game more immersive, particularly the point about that helping in a horror game.

One word of caution for GMs with grand ideas though is that I think from a practical point of view it can be quite difficult for this to play out in an actual game session.

Romance or even just straight sexuality is incredibly difficult to put into a RP session in any kind of meaningful way for very obvious reasons, not least the fact that many (most?) RP groups consist of a single gender.

I am not trying to disparage any of these ideas, I think it would be cool to see a RP campaign that went into this much detail, but I think for many groups it will maybe be a character development too far.

Just a thought (sorry if this seemed overly negative).

Romance is something that always crops up somehow when "personal interrelations" crop up. I don't mind it, but it's a bit of a tired path to tread, and a bit of a trope that pops up way too often in storytelling ("save Mary Jane!"). I like to play base-time out a bit with my group, have them get to know, and befriend, or develope rivalries with, other acolyte teams. Sometimes, what they do is part of a larger operation, and they'll run into a familiar face on site. Is it someone they like? Someone they hate? That can drastically change their reactions than if it were only some other, faceless acolyte.

It comes down to your group. If you've got a group that is only focused on the next mission then downtime isn't really a thing you can force to come through. Sometimes if you're lucky they'll waste time on their own. An arbite got hit on at a bar that was entertaining until one of the other acolytes found out she was digging for info and essentially "rooster"blocked him. The arbite still hasn't forgiven him.

I'm not sure how this ever became a thread about RPG sex (in general) when the OP simply asked if Inquisitors were celibate.

On the other hand, I understand that many of you have seen this sort of thing before and it's hard to not want to squash it before it gets out of control.

However, there is a reason for curiosity in these matters where it applies to WH40K, as it is so noticeably absent in the RPG books. Outside of any sexy-sexy, is there even ever a mention of, like, a memento or something in any of the books?

Let me take two very dissimilar games to make the point...

In a game like The One Ring (Tolkien, obviously), it would be way out there to have almost anything candidly and overtly sexual happen in the game, but characters are definitely expected to have friends, family, pets, and even kingdoms that they care greatly about.

In DH/OW/DW/RT/BC... well... It's a depressing world, and if its a depressing world where nobody gives a <expletive deleted> about anything, it's not going to be much fun to play in. As a matter of fact, the one or two things a character does care about is going to drive them in a huge way.

Before I get flamed for trashing the WH40K universe, let me say that it's fascinating! There just needs to be more to engage the character than servitors, bolt guns, and service to the rotting carcass of the Emperor. If that's what you want, then that's fine too.