Really Fantasy Flight?!

By Capnjones, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I never claimed this game was taking the place of anything else. Nor do I want a ground miniatures game that's a reskin of X-Wing, either, since we already have X-Wing. I'm just disappointed that the big reveal for the Star Wars IP they were hinting around to ends up being a game that we've all already been playing for two years but reskinned with Star Wars.

To call that petty, uninformed, or trite really reeks of needless hostilty. It's okay to be disappointed with FFG sometimes, none of us are on their payroll.

Its perfectly fine to be disappointed but, when you share that viewpoint, others who disagree are going to share theirs in turn. As you may have noticed in my original post, I said "most" not "all" of the comments seemed uninformed and petty. The complaints before yours mostly focused on how they would have rather received a tactical miniatures game as opposed to this, as if Imperial Assault is even supposed to fill that sort of ground combat role in the first place. You're free to be disappointed that the game isn't entirely original, thats a perfectly valid complaint save for when others are basically bemoaning that its not just an X-Wing reskin.

Its perfectly fine to be disappointed but, when you share that viewpoint, others who disagree are going to share theirs in turn.

I don't mind people replying being excited for the game, I only took issue with the apparent hostility towards those of us who aren't. If the comments weren't directed at my posts but instead were in response to something else, then I apologize.

To be fair, you gotta admit that giving Fantasy Flight your email address so that you can school them on how to make a real game, is pretty darn petty and inflammatory to start. Most of what I said was directed towards the OP.

To be fair, you gotta admit that giving Fantasy Flight your email address so that you can school them on how to make a real game, is pretty darn petty and inflammatory to start. Most of what I said was directed towards the OP.

Well yeah, OP went a bit overboard. He'll also likely regret that once some search bots make their scan of the forums.

This game isn't for the wargaming X-Wing players. Armada is for that. Do you really think they were going to announce TWO new games for that crowd in one year? Never going to happen.

This is something fun for a Star Wars RPG group to do when they want to just have fun for an evening, plus it provides them with miniatures and tiles if they want to use such in their RPG games. It's NOT meant for the X-Wing crowd at all (other than being Star Wars), and is not replacing anything that crowd would get normally.

If you want to blame anything for not getting a full ground combat wargame, blame Armada (but don't because Armada is awesome too).

This game isn't for the wargaming X-Wing players. Armada is for that. Do you really think they were going to announce TWO new games for that crowd in one year? Never going to happen.

This is something fun for a Star Wars RPG group to do when they want to just have fun for an evening, plus it provides them with miniatures and tiles if they want to use such in their RPG games. It's NOT meant for the X-Wing crowd at all (other than being Star Wars), and is not replacing anything that crowd would get normally.

If you want to blame anything for not getting a full ground combat wargame, blame Armada (but don't because Armada is awesome too).

What I really like about this upcoming game is that it fits perfect for me.

I've always wanted to get into Decent but just couldn't see myself getting past another fantasy setting (I have D&D and Talisman covered for that). It will also provide miniatures (More in upcoming expansions) for my Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion games.

Again, for me . . . it's perfect.

Reviews for Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds put it off as a cheap reskin of Age of Empires, but I still loved the heck out of it. Considering I don't play... whatever those other games are, I'll probably get this.

Also, business wise, this is the best idea. Push out a million products at once and watch as we all scramble to shove our wallets over the counter before stocks run out. You monsters. You devious, rich monsters.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: my wallet won't be seeing another dollar for years, but my shelf will be full of beautiful, beautiful Star Wars.

It's a marketing no brainer. Combine our best selling IP property with one of our best selling boardgames. Let's just wait for the rules to see how much work they put into it.

Yeah; this game looks great doesn't it? Oh wait, the original poster doesn't like the idea of a Star Wars themed Descent re-skin? Crazzzyyy.

Yeah I'll be buying this for sure. Regarding the fact that some people would rather have had a tactical tabletop miniatures skirmish game set in the Star Wars universe. I would imagine that FFG are planning such a product as I type, while rubbing their hands at the thought of the money that this license if going to net them. And I can't blame them for that.

The game is a great idea. Many people will buy it just for collectible purposes, and basing it in a well tested mechanics is a very intelligent decision. I have some friends that enjoy Descent because mechanically it's a great game but are put off by the fantasy theme, and they will buy this for sure... An AT-AT mini... how can that be wrong?

While I wouldn't have voiced it quite in the same manner, I agree with the sentiment. I was really hoping for a tactical ground-based miniatures game (I loved the West End Games minis way back in the day), and am kind of disappointed to see a reskin of Descent. I've no doubt it'll be a great game, since Descent is a great game, but I had hoped for something new, instead of a different flavor of something already out there.

Still have the rule book hopefully after a few expansions come out we can play those rules. Anyway also get to bust out some of my old hirst arts rooms and custom make my own missions. Also agree that I would get a boatload of minis if not only to paint but to play a dust warfare style game, with a few tweaks cause the Rebs get a mix of cool and crappy gear for their points whereas the imps are fairly organized and have consistent gear but diff troop types and varying degree of skill sets

Edited by kuffdaddy

The miniatures can double for the RPG of Star Wars. =) win win.

Umm, anybody who owns Descent? Why would anyone want the same game twice?

The inflight report had me hopeful for a while, as it just said 'inspired' by Descent -- but now it looks to be pretty much the same.

Are you kidding me? What star wars analog gamer/dungeon crawl enthusiast wouldn't want a Star Wars Descent game? This is exactly what I would want from FFG as their first official Star Wars board game.

There is still plenty to go as far as Star Wars and FFG are concerned. This is only the beginning...

In Lead the Adventure Forums you can see a Polish company that is making a massive SW wargame in 1/100 scale (like Flames of War).

I only see clone troopers, droids and its tanks and vehicles (well Yoda an General Kenobi too) not Original Trilogy but maybe in the future they´ll make.

They´re waiting for the license

I don't think this is just a cheap reskin of descent.

It was in development for a year and FFG said it was a huge evolution on descent.

Hopefully there will be enough changes so I'll want to keep both games.

The skirmish mode will be more than just a tacked on system, it's getting the full organised play support. It's designed to be competitive so it will be well thought out.

I hope so! The artwork, miniatures, etc. look amazing and the idea of it appeals to me -- I just don't want a clone of a game I already have.

Also, Descent doesn't play that well with two players. Hopefully this one will!

I don't think this is just a cheap reskin of descent.
It was in development for a year and FFG said it was a huge evolution on descent.
Hopefully there will be enough changes so I'll want to keep both games.

The skirmish mode will be more than just a tacked on system, it's getting the full organised play support. It's designed to be competitive so it will be well thought out.

And then they will complain its a reskin from DUST... wanna bet?

It's only okay if its a reskin of X-Wing.

While I am a bit dissapointed at a game that is reskin of Descent (don't think it could still be a good game. In fact Descent is good, so it is likely, but it is still dissapointing), I don't understand the desire for an X-wing reskin... it would be a terrible system for ground combat. Airspeeder combat yes, but I don't want to see a ground combat game with turning templates like that in Armada or X-wing... it doesn't make any sense, and doesn't really reflect how things move on the ground.

I might buy it, as I don't own Descent, so if I want that style of game I have a choice of the two. But, yeah, less reason for someone who owns Descent to invest in the game.

The d&d version of attack wing (x wing system) was at gen con and that included ground units.

Not saying that it's a good idea, we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Maybe if that proves it can work there will be a hoth expansion with snow speeders and at-at's.

I've been wanting skirmish descent for a while, I was expecting it to be boardless but this will have to do.

Actually it's reworked Descent: Second Edition, not MoM...

And, even if it was a reworked version of MoM.....

...MoM is absolutely awesome. Seriously. Amazing game. Anyone who isn't playing it seriously should. Gamers of all types love it. I have some friends who are not into competitive card games (what I mainly play) but love MoM. I have never played MoM with someone and had them say anything other than how fun and well-designed the game is.

Even reading the little bit we have so far shows its a fair bit different then Descent. The defense dice system is very different, there doesn't seem to be an overlord deck, fewer characters, I'd anticipate more differences as time rolls on. Doing a complete copy, especially at this price point, would be a very poor choice. By making some solid differences they can make it more compelling to current owners.

I've never played Descent, so I am very much looking forward to this.

Guys, Descent have lots of bugs that irritates me. If this game remove all bugs that are presented in Descent and remove/change all irritating things on Descent that everyone knows (line of sight, large monster movement, stupid repetitive quest that are same with only small change)... this should be really awesome game, not just reskin of Descent but better game than Descent. Why everyone are crying that the game is only the reskin ? Is there anyone who is happy with Descent ? I think no. Maybe this game will be the right. But only the time will tell us.

(Sorry for English)

What edition of descent are you talking about? 1st was a mess, 2nd is way better, and this game is streamlined version of 2nd

As a fan of Descent, a gamer in his mid-thirties with a family who wishes he had time for a 600 page RPG experience, fan of the WEG and SAGA versions of the SW RPG (prior to family), this is probably the best thing that could happen. These plug and play pseudo-rpg's like Descent are just awesome for gamers who are getting older and have meaningful lives. To people like me (and there are a lot of us) this is more than a Tactical Miniatures Game, they are a window into something we wish we could still do, but simply cannot devote the time anymore. I say thanks FFG!