Really Fantasy Flight?!

By Capnjones, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Ok FF, this just looks like a Mansions of Madness rehash. Want to make a good ground assault game? Give us an X-Wing morph with snowspeeders using the same set-up as starfighters. Give us AT-AT's (which at 1/270, clocks in at 8.34cm) with large ship type se t-ups. A few DF.9 turrets, some 1.4 FD P-towers, and a few small multi-figure infantry stands for both sides; and you got a nice Battle of Hoth starter box. And you have the potential for all kinds of boosters to work with; AT-ST's, speeder bikes, Endor jungle-type infantry, Imperial infantry out the wazoo, and landspeeders or tanks. C'mon! The possibilities are endless! And THAT game, tied to your already popular X-Wing Minis franchise, would sell. Big time. So instead of giving us more schlock re-works, give us a REAL ground combat game. Feel free to get ahold of me Fantasy Flight at [email protected], because your designers need some serious help with this game...

lol. dat pointless rant.

Someone is angry. I personally think this game looks great.

Why? Because FF is stuck in a rut? Or because people will shell out money for a re-worked POS game because it has 'Star Wars' in the title? If this game is 'ground combat,' then so is Chutes and Ladders...

You're speaking like they owe you something, lolz.

Actually it's reworked Descent: Second Edition, not MoM...

He's just using his First Amendment Right of speaking his mind! I happen to agree with him. This is a game I'm not interested in and was really hoping if they did a ground game, it would be much better than this...

Are you kidding me? What star wars analog gamer/dungeon crawl enthusiast wouldn't want a Star Wars Descent game? This is exactly what I would want from FFG as their first official Star Wars board game.

There is still plenty to go as far as Star Wars and FFG are concerned. This is only the beginning...

Edited by Otakuon

I sense much anger within you...

He's just using his First Amendment Right of speaking his mind! I happen to agree with him. This is a game I'm not interested in and was really hoping if they did a ground game, it would be much better than this...

They will prolly make an x-wing scale ground assault game with lot's of walkers and AT-AT and non canon rebel ground vehicles that didn't apear in the movies, somewhere down the line. This is a boardgame with a squad of infinatry not star wars 40k

Game leads to anger, anger leads to forum posts, forum posts lead to trolling...

Edited by Robin Graves

Infantry huh? Was that an AT-ST I saw? Hmmm...

Being a descent player I'm not surprise to see a star wars version of it and we were discussing about such product few weeks ago. That being said and like many others, I hope they will come up with an epic miniatures ground battle game and eventually create a link in form of a galactic campaign between Armada and the ground game

Infantry huh? Was that an AT-ST I saw? Hmmm...

One AT-ST does not a full scale ground offensive make...

I recently got into Descent 2nd edition and I loved it. Not only did I love it but my player group loved it. Unfortunately I am the only big SW fan in my group. I am hoping I can get my group to give this game a chance because my jaw hit the floor when I saw this!

Ok FF, this just looks like a Mansions of Madness rehash. Want to make a good ground assault game? Give us an X-Wing morph with snowspeeders using the same set-up as starfighters. Give us AT-AT's (which at 1/270, clocks in at 8.34cm) with large ship type se t-ups. A few DF.9 turrets, some 1.4 FD P-towers, and a few small multi-figure infantry stands for both sides; and you got a nice Battle of Hoth starter box. And you have the potential for all kinds of boosters to work with; AT-ST's, speeder bikes, Endor jungle-type infantry, Imperial infantry out the wazoo, and landspeeders or tanks. C'mon! The possibilities are endless! And THAT game, tied to your already popular X-Wing Minis franchise, would sell. Big time. So instead of giving us more schlock re-works, give us a REAL ground combat game. Feel free to get ahold of me Fantasy Flight at [email protected], because your designers need some serious help with this game...

Yeah.......right!

"This is perhaps (sound of door opening) the dumbest move FFG (quiet lull of murmuring voices permeate large building) has ever made (cash register bell rings moments before cold hard metal is deposited into plastic tray; sound of large plastic bag rustles sharply when large object is dropped inside) and I for one will not buy this game".

Moments later ( sound of phone dialing) "yes capnjones....what?....tonight at your place?..... a new Star Wars game you say....we will be right over"! (click).

While I wouldn't have voiced it quite in the same manner, I agree with the sentiment. I was really hoping for a tactical ground-based miniatures game (I loved the West End Games minis way back in the day), and am kind of disappointed to see a reskin of Descent. I've no doubt it'll be a great game, since Descent is a great game, but I had hoped for something new, instead of a different flavor of something already out there.

While I wouldn't have voiced it quite in the same manner, I agree with the sentiment. I was really hoping for a tactical ground-based miniatures game (I loved the West End Games minis way back in the day), and am kind of disappointed to see a reskin of Descent. I've no doubt it'll be a great game, since Descent is a great game, but I had hoped for something new, instead of a different flavor of something already out there.

The preview says there is some kind of two player squad building skirmish mode as well? Doesn't sound like it will all be Descent style campaign play.

Different strokes for different folks as they say; to me this looks to be an improvement over Descent.

Edited by Eighth Air Force

The preview says there is some kind of two player squad building skirmish mode as well? Doesn't sound like it will all be Descent style campaign play.

Yeah, I saw that, we'll see how it actually plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if that aspect is poorly developed or just tacked on, since the objective here was obviously just to reskin the Descent rules and mechanics with Star Wars.

I have to admit I'm really quite astonished at this sort of reaction to the game. Imperial Assault is a Star Wars themed dungeon crawling combat game, not a Ground Assault warfare game meant to stand up next to X-Wing or Armada. That AT-ST? It's there in place of a monster like the Dragon used in Descent. You're going to be going through Star Wars environments having RPG style battles against Stormtroopers and Darth Vader. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any potential ground warfare game that could come from Fantasy Flight, nor would it even step on the toes of such a game.

Most of these negative comments seem really uninformed and petty.

Edited by Leventa

I have to admit I'm really quite astonished at this sort of reaction to the game. Imperial Assault is a Star Wars themed dungeon crawling combat game, not a Ground Assault warfare game meant to stand up next to X-Wing or Armada. That AT-ST? It's there in place of a monter like the Dragon used in Descent. You're going to be going through Star Wars environments having RPG style battles against Stormtroopers and Darth Vader. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any potential ground warfare game that could come from Fantasy Flight, nor would it even step on the toes of such a game.

Most of these negative comments seem really uninformed and petty.

Why is it uninformed or petty to simply state that some of us are disappointed with a reskin of a current game, as opposed to a new one?

Because it seems trite and nick-picky in the grand scheme of things. This is the first foray into Star Wars board gaming by FFG and it makes sense that as such, they would barrow from a formula that has given them much success in the past.

I am sure that eventually we will get a proper DUST style Star Wars Minis game as a follow up for Armada (just as Armada was a follow up to X-Wing).

Edited by Otakuon

Most of the complaints seem to be made with the assumption that Imperial Assault is taking the place of an X-Wing style ground combat game, or somehow permanently blocking such a game from ever being developed. I guess I don't see the logic behind being disappoint that Fantasy Flight did a "reskin" of Descent, when what people seem to be complaining about is that its not a reskin of X-Wing.

Because it seems trite and nick-picky in the grand scheme of things. This is the first foray into Star Wars board gaming by FFG and it makes sense that as such, they would barrow from a formula that has given them much success in the past.

I am sure that eventually we will get a proper DUST style Star Wars Minis game as a follow up for Armada (just as Armada was a follow up to X-Wing).

And then they will complain its a reskin from DUST... wanna bet?

And then they will complain its a reskin from DUST... wanna bet?

It's only okay if its a reskin of X-Wing.