How do you feel about the look of the minis?

By any2cards, in Star Wars: Armada

I wonder if I'm the only one who liked the split-wing victories we had in TIE Fighter

Protector_TIE.jpg

@Mike Hasselstein

Just checked, and my copy of the essential guide has the art work for the victory, so apparently my copy somehow managed to switch the art for the 2 SDs.

Okay, so indeed a misprint. Of course, TobyW had the same issue, so yours wasn't alone.

I wonder if I'm the only one who liked the split-wing victories we had in TIE Fighter

Protector_TIE.jpg

Any idea what the split wing is for? Maybe to snap at passing fighters? :lol:

Well, if the range ruler is anything similar to X-Wing's at 30cm long, it appears the VSD is around one segment or so. Which places it at about 10-11 cm. The model scale calculates to about 1/8,000(ish). Which would make an ISD about 20cm, give or take. Not too bad size wise. An SSD in that scale would be 2.37m long or about 8-foot. Even with a sliding scale, you'd have to slide it a fair bit to make it a playable model. I think we will have about as much chance of seeing an SSD for Armada as we do of seeing a VSD for X-Wing.

Aside from that, the models look great. The corvette and the frigate may be out of scale a little but at that size it's not as big an issue as the scales in Attack Wing. And, who knows, maybe the expansion packs for the Rebels could feature two small ships in them. Anything is possible at this stage. We shall have to wait and see.

Any idea what the split wing is for? Maybe to snap at passing fighters? :lol:

According to illustrations on Wookiepedia, they are atmospheric maneuvering vanes. Somewhat like wings. Can't really see them being much help, but there you go.

The only thing early expanded-universe artists had to go on with regard to the victory and other ships was a side-profile of the craft illustrated by West end Games. TIE Fighter's creators interpreted those wings going up and down rather than tapering. It's also why the Interdictors there have globes on the superstructure and only four hemispheres in the front instead of the typical 8 of the Immobilizer 418.

It was different, so I liked it. These split-wing Victories also had two engine bells instead of the typical three, which I also liked. Wonder if the model is going to have 2 as well? We can't see the back...