How do you feel about the look of the minis?

By any2cards, in Star Wars: Armada

When I saw the announcement of this game on the home page, I was really excited. There are so many ships I would love to get my hands on, but they really wouldn't work in the X-Wing game.

So, seeing this announcement, despite the potential impact to my bank account, I said cool ... more minis to collect.

Then I click the link, and read the entirety of the article, and really looked at the minis.

I must say, I am disappointed. Disappointed by the disparity of scales, disappointed in how they look, etc.

Perhaps my expectations were simply set too high after X-Wing ... perhaps I simply had some mythical mini in mind, and had inappropriately set my expectations too high ...

Perhaps it's just me ...

But I really don't like the way the 3 minis (and the tie/x-wing squadrons) look ... :(

Edited by any2cards

But I really don't like the way the 3 minis (and the tie/x-wing squadrons) look ... :(

What, exactly is your criticism?

From my point of view, I'm a little annoyed by the scaling and the unpainted fighters (though, the latter shouldn't be too hard to remedy on my own). Also, the bases will take some getting used to.

But what are you disappointed by?

The scaling is a bit offputting but the detail of the miniatures is absolutely on par with XWMG. No complaints there.

I think they look amazing. Although the VSD has those wing things that I have not seen before, has me a bit confused.

I did comment somewhere that I don't think everything in the picture is finished production versions, so they might look a bit different in the final product.

That's a great question ... it is so hard to define for the larger minis.

The squadrons are easy. I think they look like s**t. I realize that they make use of 3 individuals minis to represent a squadron, but by doing so, I think they take away from the whole. They are so small, and the detail appears to be lacking, that when I first saw them, without reading the article, I wasn't even sure what I was looking at.

As for the minis themselves, take the Tantive IV for example. In X-Wing, I have this big beautiful piece of art, that just looks effing awesome. Then I look at it in Armada, and it just looks like s**t. This is NOT the fault of FFG. It is a matter of scaling, and making sure that it "fits" with the look of the VSD. Quite frankly, I am sure everything is sized off of that one mini.

And even that mini simply isn't of appropriate size, etc.

In addition, I really hate the bases and the "spines" that will hold the minis, especially the VSD's with the big thin curve. Hell, that is almost as big as the mini, and that just tilts me.

Like I said in the OP, I think my expectations may have been too high ...

I think they look amazing. Although the VSD has those wing things that I have not seen before, has me a bit confused.

Those wing-things are canon. They've always been there.

I did comment somewhere that I don't think everything in the picture is finished production versions, so they might look a bit different in the final product.

You're right - the imagery is photoshopped without a real photo. I'm pretty sure we're not looking at physical miniatures in the imagery that we're seeing.

And even that mini simply isn't of appropriate size, etc.

Maybe ... hopefully .... we're looking at a trial balloon, and they'll decide on more appropriate scaling when they see the grousing of the fanbase.

(I'm not holding out too much hope on that, but... you know.. )

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

I have found that the images of ships in the preview materials for X-wing miniatures look pretty bad and washed out in comparison to the final product. I don't know if it's a result of using digital mockups or what but just compare this http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/news/imperial-aces/aces-box-right.png to the final product, especially the royal guard interceptor.

Those wing-things are canon. They've always been there.

Well,I admit they have been there a lot longer than I thought, but not always

F3BD5164-3E57-438F-9416-43B012AA187D.jpg

What I can remember from the early '80's was that the Victory SD was invented to explain some inconsistent scaling issues from the movies. The SD was depicted at one size in one movie and a different size in the next, so someone invented two classes of SD that looked almost identical but were different sizes, the Victory and Imperial. My understanding from back then was that the ship that chased the Tantive at the start of a New Hope was a Victory class, and it has never been important enough for me to pay attention to whether they changed that.

Eh, whatevver. Its a totally cool looking model, that is what is important.

Forgottenlore , I'm somewhat non-plussed by your book. I'll have to go and look at my copy of the (Old) Essential Guide, but that image is of an ISD2, not a VSD. I'll have to look it up, but I think what you talk about the models is the difference between the ISD1 and the ISD2; the one being the Devastator model from ANH and the other being the Avenger model from ESB.

(I've spent a lot of time on a Star Destroyer project, though not so much the VSD)

Like I said, it is not really important.

In fact, however the victory class was established originally, I am glad that it has been made visually distinct, and the wing things look good.

Don't forget the third shield generator, antennae, and the center piece on the bridge.

Like I said, it is not really important.

In fact, however the victory class was established originally, I am glad that it has been made visually distinct, and the wing things look good.

Yes, the Victory seems to have been from the original concept art. (Maybe we'll see it in Rebels!) I'm also glad they've put it into this game, distinct from the ISD, with the promise that the ISD will be big.

That's my biggest fear. That the ISD will not be big enough.

I'm pretty sure we will see it in Rebels. As for the ISD not being big enough...

*scratches head*

I'm sure FFG will work it out. So long as it's 2x as big as the current victory, I'm sold.

I'm pretty sure we will see it in Rebels. As for the ISD not being big enough...

*scratches head*

I'm sure FFG will work it out. So long as it's 2x as big as the current victory, I'm sold.

If not, I have a 15" model that I'm willing to use. (And I will hum the Imperial March, every time I do.)

*scratches head*

If not, I have a 15" model that I'm willing to use. (And I will hum the Imperial March, every time I do.)

Seriously one of the best pieces of music in the entire series.

I think you are frikking nuts... It looks awesome. What, you want the squadrons to be a single ship? Or somehow ten? Come on, the tantive looks exactly the same, just smaller.

A bit silly, I think.

A.little concerned about scale. Nothing in the pictures looks final so we'll see.

First reaction to announcement was "awesome!" but then looked at the ships. The bases are too big. Bases should always be smaller than the mini. Second issue is I'm not loving the solid color squadrons.

The bases are too big. Bases should always be smaller than the mini.

I disagree. Bases should be just slightly larger than the miniature. The base is, after all, what defines the figure mechanically. Games where the ships significantly overhang the bases get annoying trying to position ships near each other.

Not to say that I don't agree the bases for the corvette and maybe the frigate aren't TOO big, but smaller than their ship, no.

These minis are for representations of starships for a tabletop game. They may be off the proper scale.

If they need to be in the proper scale. Some of the star destroyers will be as big as cars and that won't work for tabletop games.

Production of scaled star destroyers will take years and will be expensive for gamers.

These minis are way better than cardboard representations.

Just my two cents worth of thoughts.

I really like the figs. On this scale of a game, I am not as concerned about scale. I do wish the fighter squadrons were painted.

Without looking at the actual minis I can't say for certain how the final product will look like but I trust it'll be as good as X-wing minis. The scale issue is a bit of a shame but not unexpected. Capital ships in SW can vary vastly in sizes so I understand them taking some liberties with scale. As long as they look about the right size relative to each other I'm good:) If I had to complain it is that the Corellian Corvette looks way too big relative to the Nebulon B Frigate.

For those wondering about the VSD I can offer some explanation. It is a completely EU ship designed off of early Star Destroyer concepts from the movies. It is popularly known to have the extra wing extensions on the sides and a protruding bridge with antennas. The old essential guide books are unreliable as they show an Imperial Class Star Destroyer instead of the VSD in its profile whereas the newer EG books and the Star Wars Wiki have more up to date information. The ship that chases the Tantive IV in the opening of A New Hope is not a Victory class SD it is the "Devastator", an Imperial Class I Star Destroyer, which is significantly bigger than the VSD but equal in size to the Imperial Class II SD which appears throughout ESB and ROTJ, most famously in the Battle of Endor.

Edited by Wraithdt

First reaction to announcement was "awesome!" but then looked at the ships. The bases are too big. Bases should always be smaller than the mini. Second issue is I'm not loving the solid color squadrons.

Well, keep in mind that the 'canon' size of the Imperial Star Destroyer is *double* the length of the Victory-class.

I'm pretty sure FFG won't be doing that, and take advantage of the 'sliding scale' to just make it "bigger". Maybe 50% in each dimension, instead of 100% more? And the Mon Cal cruisers are going to be right about the same size, too. And all but certainly, we'll see a Super Star Destroyer along the size of the Tantive IV we have from 'X-Wing'.

So...keep that in mind. That these bases maybe look a little big for the ships the core set ships with is not really a problem, given that Star Wars ships go way, WAYYYYY bigger than these in the universe.

While I WISH the fighter squadrons were painted (I just am not that good a painter) keep in mind how much longer we'd be waiting between releases for new stuff. Do you all remember when there was no Wave 1 stuff for a large portion of last year and now we're waiting on re-releases of Wave 2 and 4 among others? Having unpainted fighters is okay with me as long as the capital ships look good, if not great. Heck, it gives me even MORE of an excuse to paint my squads how I like!

You guys do realize how small the fighter squadrons are, right? All of you expecting high-detailed minis and extravagant paint jobs forget that these fighters might individually be the size of a US Dime, for all we know. If you're happy with Attack Wing fighter quality paint job, all the power to you, but I frankly don't mind the abstracted shapes and lack of paint.

Because I know all the effort is being focused on the capital ships, which are the real centerpieces of attention. As long as they are excellent I have no complaints.

Because we finally have awesome star destroyer models that are affordable. I could not ask for more.

Forgottenlore , I just checked my edition of the Essential Guide. You must have a misprint or something. My copy properly shows the Victory, with the wings and the forward projection of the command tower and its parts.