Other Ships: Speculation

By ghaerdon2, in Star Wars: Armada

I really want a proper Interdictor Class cruiser. Note that there are about three captial ships named the Interdictor. There's the one from Kotor, nevermind that one.

Both the Immobilizer 418 class heavy cruiser and the Interdictor class Star Destroyer would be awesome and have really interesting game impact.

Could someone post a link or pictures showing the visual difference between a ISD I and II? As far as I can tell there isn't one, which would suggest we won't see both, other then perhaps in the form of a ship card.

I can actually see them forcing us to hold out for the ISD until Wave 2, just to mess with us. :o

I hope that they will hue close to the new canon. X-Wing has been a wonderful free-for-all (and clearly the new stuff coming out for XMG is still going along that route, given that the new canon material has already seen the light of day), but I support a tighter control over what's in the Star Wars universe.

(That doesn't mean that I won't cry every time something I love that has long been established gets overwritten.)

Could someone post a link or pictures showing the visual difference between a ISD I and II? As far as I can tell there isn't one, which would suggest we won't see both, other then perhaps in the form of a ship card.

There is, and once you know what to look for, it's pretty clear.

Here is the best overview that I know of.

Considering how slow the "new canon" is going to be developed, it doesn't seem real smart for them to wait for new stuff or old stuff to be validated.

Considering how slow the "new canon" is going to be developed, it doesn't seem real smart for them to wait for new stuff or old stuff to be validated.

Well, there's plenty of stuff that's automatically valid by virtue of it being in the über-canon of the movies, and - it seems - this new upcoming book, which gives reference to the Victory-class Star Destroyer. So, I think FFG has enough to work with while the canon gets expanded.

Looking at that list, I can't see anything on it that would be noticeable on a model the size of what we're likely to have.

Looking at that list, I can't see anything on it that would be noticeable on a model the size of what we're likely to have.

The cannons are the big difference, as well as the things on the command tower. Those will certainly be noticeable on a model. That said, I don't see FFG going out of their way to make two separate models.

Hapan battle dragons and hapan nova class battle cruisers

So these are some ships that I think will be a shoe-in for the game

Imperials: ISD (with 1, 2 and Tector variants), Immobilizer-418, Acclamator, Strike Cruiser, Carrack, Lancer

Rebels: MC-80 Liberty, Assault Frigate Mk. 1, Quasar Fire, MC-40, MC-30, Dreadnaught.

Edited by Revanchist

Imperials: ISD (with 1, 2 and Tector variants), Immobilizer-418, Acclamator, Strike Cruiser, Carrack, Lancer

Rebels: MC-80 Liberty, Assault Frigate Mk. 1, Quasar Fire, MC-40, MC-30, Dreadnaught.

While I would like them to differentiate between the ISD I & II, i'm not sure it's realistic to expect them to do. The Tector (despite it's seeming on-screen appearance) doesn't seem likely to me at all. Regarding the others, I certainly hope they do the Immobilizer. I don't know if the Acclamator (or Venator) will be considered 'period' for the Rebellion Era. The others will probably depend on the development of the canon.

Regarding the Rebel ships, the Liberty certainly. The rest seem shaky to me. Again, it will depend on the development of the canon.

Something just struck me... All this talk about a potential SSD model, but, what about the points value? Wouldn't even one SSD by itself with no support fleet potentially put the Rebel player(s) in a severe bind to have enough ships to form an opp force? Not just points wise, but financially?

Edited by Thalomen

While I would like them to differentiate between the ISD I & II, i'm not sure it's realistic to expect them to do. The Tector (despite it's seeming on-screen appearance) doesn't seem likely to me at all. Regarding the others, I certainly hope they do the Immobilizer. I don't know if the Acclamator (or Venator) will be considered 'period' for the Rebellion Era. The others will probably depend on the development of the canon.

Regarding the Rebel ships, the Liberty certainly. The rest seem shaky to me. Again, it will depend on the development of the canon.

All good points. For the ISD differentiations I was thinking more along the lines of title cards rather than actually different models. I really don't think FFG will care about what Disney calls canon. They seem fine enough to keep things kosher with the "real" Star Wars (while changing some things to make for enjoyable gameplay). With the current title of the Tantive IV ships being called Alderaan cruisers, I hope they stick to that trend.

All good points. For the ISD differentiations I was thinking more along the lines of title cards rather than actually different models. I really don't think FFG will care about what Disney calls canon. They seem fine enough to keep things kosher with the "real" Star Wars (while changing some things to make for enjoyable gameplay). With the current title of the Tantive IV ships being called Alderaan cruisers, I hope they stick to that trend.

I hope that's the route they go.

I'm not sure how much choice they're going to have but to toe the Disney line. Regarding the 'Alderaan cruiser', I trust that that's a placeholder until the conclave reinstates the CR-90 name and it's status as a Correllian corvette. It's maybe just the work of some zealot purging everything not already literally established by the movies/TV-show.

I hope that's the route they go.

I'm not sure how much choice they're going to have but to toe the Disney line. Regarding the 'Alderaan cruiser', I trust that that's a placeholder until the conclave reinstates the CR-90 name and it's status as a Correllian corvette. It's maybe just the work of some zealot purging everything not already literally established by the movies/TV-show.

I hope so. We will have to wait and see

Reaching deep into the Sith-Imperial war:

:D

Leg_GA-cropped.jpg

GalacticAlliancestarships.png

Edited by Papa Midnight

With the name Armada in the title it definately leaves it open for other era ships. I imagine we will see the executor and viscount in special wave packs like epic for xmg.

With the name Armada in the title it definately leaves it open for other era ships. I imagine we will see the executor and viscount in special wave packs like epic for xmg.

Why do you figure the name opens it up to other eras?

Armada does not infer any parcular era other than a large force of naval craft, hence it could be stretched into any era ffg chooses. Now if it was more specific like including rebellion or something like that it would be more I would expect OT ships only.

So... the rebels are getting the Nebulon-B I guess. Assuming we don't see an Imperial version, I'm hoping the Imperial counterpart will be

Manus_ferre.jpg

You wouldn't know it but a lot of the TIE Fighter-origin designs don't crop up in the rest of the Expanded Universe Legends realm. The B2 was one of my favorite craft from the game, and if Empire can't get a ship they manufactured in the first place they should get the better one.

that is bad @$$.. I like it