The Gathering Storm : need suggestion

By Far2Casual, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hey all,

I need some suggestions from experienced game masters. We have just begun the Gathering Storm mini campaign, and my players went in the Oberslecht for the first episode. The problem is : they killed the boss but, badly wounded, they didn't feel like getting the power stone was that important and left the swamp without it.

What would be the best way to follow-up on that choice ?

Thanks for any advice.

Been a while since I GM'd this, depending on what other elements of that story are still "around" (e.g., what's happened to the charming family members, is Foaldeath still around) options vary. If Foaldeath is around that's most useful as this gave (a mutant child abandoned by human family and adopted by beastmen) is a big narrative driver.

Also question is "what do they think as PC's they have or haven't done, do they think they can rest and wait for next adventure?"

Depending on answer to that, you could continue on with other elements of the adventure, having those one's eventually demonstrate "hey that magic rock is important". I would let the "story tell them then need to go back" more than "hit them with it". If they do another component of story and then come back and finish this one that's fine.

For example, when you're ready, let it be known "another wargor is now gathering forces" (essentially as long as the power stone is there, another Izka will rise up). Foaldeath might not have as much sway with a new one so is even more inclined to "bring in outsiders", being shaman maybe he sends some dreams/nightmares (STRESS!).

If you want to vary things (and willing to put in effort as GM) let the new wargor be leading raids etc. so he can be encountered outside Obserschlect (if you don't want to make PCs go back in).

You can use some town NPCs to drive this home, the hunter by the fire talks of what he's seen etc.

This makes it more of a "campaign" and lets PC choices shape it.

Edited by valvorik

Been a while since I GM'd this, depending

*snip*

For the most part yes. THe campaign is very fluid - they don't need the stone straight away, but as they gather the other pieces, it' will become apparent they need it to complete the story.

Once they hit that point, they'll soon realise they must go back for it and then you can have some fun have them sneak into the Beastmen camp.

I'd agree that they'll figure out soon enough that they should have taken the stone. For the time being, now that they have stirred up the nest I would start having part of the herd advance into the farming communities and even towards Stromdorf itself. Once they re-collect themselves and a new Wargor is selected it's unlikely that they would just sit in the swamp and pout or wait for the players to return.

Edited by GMmL

I'll add that you don't have to have "mistakes according to the author of campaign" be total mistakes. If they have proof that they killed Izka they can be lauded by the community, treated to a free week's lodging etc. They will need proof of course.

And as the "beastman killers", if beastman trouble pops up later (per suggestion above), of course they will be turned to for aid - drawing them back in.

Edited by valvorik

Thank you for the input.

I guess I'll let the campaign go and hint them that they need to go back, something like :

1. Introduce them to Schulmann that will hint them at them at the stones, telling them he has seen something in his dreams related to their journey to the swamp, and that they are bound to his quest or something like that.

2. Proceed to the undead events where I will underline the importance of the second part of the stone, suggesting again how it looks similar to what they have seen in the swamp.

3. Back in town, Schulmann will tell them they need the part they left in the swamp.

4. I'll use Bieber (the huntsmann who can be an ally and who hate bestmen) to organize a hidden mission to get the stone back, and organize a new confrontation against Foaldeath to get the stone (who's gonna be OP due to the stone powers or something :P )

Edited by Far2Casual

Sounds good. You can also make sure PC's are the "stars" of their own encounters if you have the militia/Bieber "off over there keeping beastmen busy" while PC's try to sneak in or something - where they find Foaldeath doing some ritual to call forth more power for the herd or something.