Using other 40k publication's rules in Deathwatch?

By Reclusiarch, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hello everyone!

I'd like to have a discussion about using other publication's rules (mostly Black Crusade and Only War) in your Deathwatch games.

Deathwatch has a few years to its name now, and I find that a few things in Black Crusade and Only War makes sense in using in Deathwatch, and some, I'm not too sure they would fit.

Here's a few changes I'm considering using in my new Deathwatch campaign:

1. Demolitions rolled into Tech-Use. The implications of this is that all Space Marines will be able to use Demolitions from level 1 (at 800 XP cost).
2. Single shot is +10% to hit, semi-auto is +0 and Full-auto is -10. Killing hordes got a little bit more difficult, but it kinda makes sense? Still, full-auto is still the most effective way to kill hordes though!

3. Swift attack is +0 to hit, Lightning attack is -10% to hit.

4. Charge action now ends in a Standard, Swift or All Out Attack (but is one action)

5. Parry and Dodge is now the Evasion action

6. Unnatural Strength and Toughnness gives a flat increase (+4) to Strength and Toughness.

Any other suggestions? Comments? What other rules from other publications do you guys use in a Deathwatch game? :)

Edited by Reclusiarch

we house ruled that dodge/parry requires as many RoS as the attack hitting the target but other than that nerfing the SMs kills DW so I wouldn't want to play DW in your campaign.

From BC Errata concerning Charge-action:

Charge (page 235): Replace the action’s description with:
“The character rushes at his target and delivers a single melee attack.
The target must be at least four metres away, but still within the attacker’s Charge Move (see Table 9-31: Structured Time Movement).
The last four metres of the Charge must be in a straight line so the attacker can build speed and line up with his target. Once the attacker reaches his target, he may make a single Standard Attack at a +20 bonus (the +10 for Standard Attack is included) .
If the Charging character is unarmed, he can attempt to Grapple his opponent instead of inflicting Damage. See Grappling, page 237.”
Memory serving correctly this is same in OW CRB.
My game group took Combat section from BC CRB and implemented those changes to DW and it works. For us at least, but for everyone his own.
Edited by Routa-maa

Hello everyone!

I'd like to have a discussion about using other publication's rules (mostly Black Crusade and Only War) in your Deathwatch games.

Deathwatch has a few years to its name now, and I find that a few things in Black Crusade and Only War makes sense in using in Deathwatch, and some, I'm not too sure they would fit.

Here's a few changes I'm considering using in my new Deathwatch campaign:

1. Demolitions rolled into Tech-Use. The implications of this is that all Space Marines will be able to use Demolitions from level 1 (at 800 XP cost).

2. Single shot is +10% to hit, semi-auto is +0 and Full-auto is -10. Killing hordes got a little bit more difficult, but it kinda makes sense? Still, full-auto is still the most effective way to kill hordes though!

3. Swift attack is +0 to hit, Lightning attack is -10% to hit.

4. Charge action now ends in a Standard, Swift or All Out Attack (but is one action)

5. Parry and Dodge is now the Evasion action

6. Unnatural Strength and Toughnness gives a flat increase (+4) to Strength and Toughness.

Any other suggestions? Comments? What other rules from other publications do you guys use in a Deathwatch game? :)

All fine and good, but this is a discussion on house rules, not questions on official rules. In the future, please use the appropriate forum sections.

The biggest sticking point i've come across is the xp cost for stats. In DW you're spending 1500 xp to up your toughness the first 10 points to get a +2 modifier which is generally worth it. 1500 for a +1 is downright terrible. A black crusade marine would be spending only 750 for the same +10.

Also not every weapon is represented in BC text that is available in DW so the felling(x) or concussion (x) starts to get fudgy.