Tumbling Boulder

By Deornwulf, in Talisman Rules Questions

Everyones free to add house rules to discard events after are encountered of course.

Well cataclysm explicitly states that cataclysm events once resolved are not left on the board, whether it says so or not. One could extrapolate this to mean that's how they intended it to be in the base game easily enough.

Well cataclysm explicitly states that cataclysm events once resolved are not left on the board, whether it says so or not. One could extrapolate this to mean that's how they intended it to be in the base game easily enough.

Er... No here is the statement from the Cataclysm Rules as mentioned before:

Mixing Expansions Cards Remaining on Spaces

Adventure cards in The Cataclysm do not list the default way that cards are removed from the board. Instead, cards are removed from the board depending on their type, as follows:

• Event cards are discarded after they are encountered and their effects are resolved.

The statement is taking about cards in The Cataclysm (as in - from the set) it reinforces the statement when it also says "do not list the default way that cards are removed from the board" if you look at all the preview cards they all do not state when happens to them (eg goes to discard pile, remains here until killed etc etc) so this statement says that these cards "in The Cataclysm set" use these rules because they do not list what happens to them after their effect this is enforced also when the statement says "Instead".

To imply this rule is saying "all Adventure Cards" is misleading and taking the statement out of context. Like I said before IF this was a new rule why say "Adventure cards in The Cataclysm do not list the default way that cards are removed from the board" when its a new rule that overrides the old one. The statement is describing that the Adventure cards in the Cataclysm set are different because they do not list the default way they are removed (other than other Adventure cards we have now) and this is how you handle them when they are mixed with other Adventure Cards, hench as I said before the title : Mixing Expansions Cards Remaining on Spaces.

I do not know how plainer I can say this... If you do not like it or disagree please make your own house rule.

To me they are saying "listen dummies, events are discarded once they're done, don't make us write it on every single card." Wouldn't call that a house rule.

To me they are saying "listen dummies, events are discarded once they're done, don't make us write it on every single card." Wouldn't call that a house rule.

If that was so they would not of described it that way. Its more like "Listen up we here at FFG have decided to stop printing the common sense "what happens to cards" in the Cataclysm set when everyone surely knows how they are discarded by now, but just in case, here is what these cards from the Cataclysm set do after they resolve" :) .

So just make a house rule.

Edited by Uvatha

Nah they're evolving, it's just the evolution of it if they started over knowing what they know now they could do it much more efficiently, for example how they added cursed followers and items rather than on every card saying you may not ditch this follower, taking up half the card with redundancy. Or how they said defeated enemies from the harbinger deck mist be taken as trophies. If they could do it over they would undoubtedly just start off the core game with cursed items, trinkets, and saying that defeated enemies must be taken as trophies, and how to deal with events rather than writing it on every frigging card.uvatha what makes an event from cataclysm any different from all the other events in the deck? Nothing

Uvatha what makes an event from cataclysm any different from all the other events in the deck? Nothing

How about "not listing the default way that card is removed from the board" :) .

Honestly they are evolving the cards but not changing the rule, if they where (like I said so before) they would of just stated as much - like in other rules.. They haven't so the rules are still the same, its just Cataclysm cards that are handled differently because of the "how you remove them" being removed from the cards and put into a rule in the Cataclysm rulesheet itself.

Edited by Uvatha

Nah they're evolving, it's just the evolution of it if they started over knowing what they know now they could do it much more efficiently, for example how they added cursed followers and items rather than on every card saying you may not ditch this follower, taking up half the card with redundancy. Or how they said defeated enemies from the harbinger deck mist be taken as trophies. If they could do it over they would undoubtedly just start off the core game with cursed items, trinkets, and saying that defeated enemies must be taken as trophies, and how to deal with events rather than writing it on every frigging card.uvatha what makes an event from cataclysm any different from all the other events in the deck? Nothing

Have you tried Harbinger, I'm guessing you haven't when you bring up the trophy rules from that expansion. The reason you must take them is that some/most are like cursed items or follower and has bad effects upon you even as trophies. And you have to enjoy them until you exchange them for a point.

As for cursed followers and objects they needed to make them differently than the regular once for simplicity. It would have been to confusing otherwise.

No, just read and follow the cards instructions and you'll be fine. And apply cataclysm rules to cataclysm cards.

I agree that events like tumbling boulder are a bit unorthodox but the text on the card is crystal clear.

It's like arguing with robots.

It's like arguing with robots.

Well, can't argue that...

Better than discussing it with an incorrect Joker ;-)

Joker 2016 is correct in assuming that recent expansions tried to address redundancy. Since the development of The Harbinger, it was noted that rules omitted from the base game appeared on almost every card and consumed space. The Harbinger addressed this with rules for cursed followers and The Cataclysm addressed this with more card types by moving the most common wordings to the rulebook.

However, note that the rules of The Cataclysm (pg. 5) actually refer to "Adventure Cards in The Catataclysm Expansion," ensuring that this is not a universal rule applied to all cards from previous sets. This is because not every previous card neatly falls into the rules of the expansion. For example, not every "bad" follower from previous sets follows exactly the rules of cursed followers for The Harbinger . The Tumbling Boulder is indeed an Event that is an exception to the rule.

If a generalized rule would apply to all sets, it would appear in the FAQ. Currently, we only need to apply it to The Cataclysm cards.