Tumbling Boulder

By Deornwulf, in Talisman Rules Questions

1. Does the Tumbling Boulder remain on the board after it tumbles since it does not state it goes to the discard pile?

2. If it is an event that remains on the board until acted upon by some other card, would the next player to land on the Tumbling Boulder trigger it again?

3. What happens to the Tumbling Boulder when it reaches the entrance to the Highlands? Would it tumble around the main board?

I'd say:

1 yes

2 yes (however this does not go for events that only last for a limited number of turns like the snow storm.. or whatever it's called)

3 it continues counter clockwise around the board, just like the card says.

Have fun :)

There is a specific trigger written on the card for when it is to be discarded (I think).

The card referred to by Nioreh is the Blizzard which also stays on the board until the timing is complete. But the Blizzard nor most other events do not get retriggered.

It can be difficult to figure out which way the boulder goes, but one of the expansion rules, (or all?) dictate the direction of clockwise and counter clockwise. But I think you are asking if it goes out onto the main board. If the correct direction brings it there, then we play it does go onto the main board. I do not know if this is correct tho.

I've always played this card and Avalanche like they're discarded even on a 2-6, but you're not wrong in your assumptions. They are discarded explicitly if a 1 is rolled, otherwise they move around the board and apparently they can be encountered many times.

This is very strange for an Event. They should have been designed as Places, then. The reason why I've always discarded them after encounter is that I assumed that the Boulder/Avalanche has to be considered one of the cards on the last space, along with any other cards. Moreover, I believe that an Event is always discarded after resolving, unless the card says it stays on the board for a certain time. It feels quite weird to have a boulder tumbling in an endless circle around the Outer Region, but it can be very funny.

I've always played this card and Avalanche like they're discarded even on a 2-6, but you're not wrong in your assumptions. They are discarded explicitly if a 1 is rolled, otherwise they move around the board and apparently they can be encountered many times.

This is very strange for an Event. They should have been designed as Places, then. The reason why I've always discarded them after encounter is that I assumed that the Boulder/Avalanche has to be considered one of the cards on the last space, along with any other cards. Moreover, I believe that an Event is always discarded after resolving, unless the card says it stays on the board for a certain time. It feels quite weird to have a boulder tumbling in an endless circle around the Outer Region, but it can be very funny.

Trying t find a ruling on events "always discarded after resolving" can't see it anywhere. I always thought it was discarded after its effect but you guys are right it keeps going. After reading it, its quite simple to understand I suppose with all the events in the game one does get set in a pattern to encounter events. The good thing I see here is day and night ticking over each time its encountered not to mention its cleaning the board effects interesting indeed.

As for the Tumbling Boulder entering the main board its simple where it moves "counter clockwise" of course.

You shouldn't flip the time card when re-encountering an event.

The time card is flipped (once) only when a character draws one or several events.

You shouldn't flip the time card when re-encountering an event.

The time card is flipped (once) only when a character draws one or several events.

Whoops thats right.. Oh well it at least be a board clearer.

Yeah I think you only discard an Event if it tells you to; otherwise you keep it on the space.

I wonder about Strangers, though. There is one card in Blood Moon (forget which) that doesn't say it remains there for the rest of the game, but it doesn't say it gets discarded, either. I've always assumed that Strangers only stay on the space if it says so explicitly. Is that right?

Yeah I think you only discard an Event if it tells you to; otherwise you keep it on the space.

I wonder about Strangers, though. There is one card in Blood Moon (forget which) that doesn't say it remains there for the rest of the game, but it doesn't say it gets discarded, either. I've always assumed that Strangers only stay on the space if it says so explicitly. Is that right?

There are several Strangers that don't say "will remain here for the rest of the game ". If you check how cards have been designed, you'll notice that Strangers could be divided into 3 categories:

1) Strangers that remain for the rest of the game (explicitly written on card, they are discarded only by Curfew, Destruction or other "board sweepers")

2) Strangers that have a specific discard condition, so they remain on the board until the condition is fulfilled. This category starts with Fairy/Phantom/Enchanter from base game and was continued throughout the expansions

3) Strangers that are discarded after the encounter, because they give you something in any case (e.g. Dwarf Smith, Armoursmith, Weaponsmith, etc...). For me this kind of Strangers is just wrongly designed. They should have been Events instead.

I think it would be easier if all Events were discarded after resolving (except for Events that last many rounds) and if all Strangers were meant to stay. If the Tumbling Boulder had to be a moving card to be encountered many times, it should have been designed as a Place (who cares if it doesn't stay in the same place :P ); Strangers that are discarded like the Dwarf Smith should just have been Events.

If we'll ever see a Talisman 5th edition one day, a good way to save text on cards is to categorize Events, Strangers and Places in a better way and stick to it when designing cards. Events are meant to be always discarded after resolving, Strangers and Places always stay, but in 4th edition it must always be specified. Exceptions like Lone Dwarf, Dwarf Smith and Tumbling Boulder are only there to make us wonder if they are intentional or just design slip-offs.

Revised 4th Edition design has evolved a lot from the core set to the latest expansions. The base game is tied to the concept of Encounter Number, so Events were meant to be inescapable happenings, that come before all the rest but don't last. Enemies are the core of the encounter and they stay in the middle, taking longer to be resolved. Strangers were meant to be nasty or positive non-combat encounters that may preclude access to Objects/Followers. Finally, Places define a good/bad way to end the space encounter, after picking up the goodies. Now we have Places, Enemies and Objects/Followers with EN 1 (this big change started with revised Hag and Poltergeist), because there was the need to apply penalties before anything else, otherwise a failed attack would allow to skip them. With these variations, there's no need for Events to stay on the board and be encountered multiple times. Strangers should be used, or Places, either with EN 1 or 6.

Edited by The_Warlock

bringing this back up.

1. Someone thought that all rolls would cause the player on the card to lose a life. But this was voted down, it comes to whether the player fulfills "Boulder moves onto): 2-6) Move the Boulder 6 spaces counter-clockwise. For each space the Boulder moves onto, any characters there lose 1 life and any cards there are discarded.

2. Would any left hand turn on Outer Region be considered counter clockwise? Example: Sentinel space to Middle region?

3. Is re-encountering the boulder another event? Thus activating Day/nite or use by that object that allows a player to be unaffected by an event?

1. Someone thought that all rolls would cause the player on the card to lose a life. But this was voted down, it comes to whether the player fulfills "Boulder moves onto): 2-6) Move the Boulder 6 spaces counter-clockwise. For each space the Boulder moves onto, any characters there lose 1 life and any cards there are discarded.

The Tumbling Boulder doesn't move onto the space from where it starts movement, so the character who draws the Event is harmed only on a 1 result.

2. Would any left hand turn on Outer Region be considered counter clockwise? Example: Sentinel space to Middle region?

No, once this card is in the Outer Region, it can't get out of there. There's only one direction which is counter-clockwise in a circle.

3. Is re-encountering the boulder another event? Thus activating Day/nite or use by that object that allows a player to be unaffected by an event?

It's not activating the Time Card since that is done only when Events are drawn . Of course the Gypsy, the Astrolabe or Lugh's Cloak work perfectly because the card is an Event.

Just goes to prove "You learn something everyday" :)

Wouldn't a left hand turn be a shorter circle and more counter clockwise? I play lots of RoboRally, and see counter clockwise as continuous left turns. :ph34r:

More thought into my left turn question, perhaps what is inferred here is the boulder won't take any turns, even counter clockwise. Unless its it's only path.

I think the junctions between Regions (Sentinel, Portal of Power, Ruins, City, Crags, Forest) follow these rules.

• In the Outer, Middle, and City Regions, a thing doesn't cross the junctions when forced to move.
  • In the Dungeon, Highland, and Woodland Regions, a thing does cross the junction when forced to move, and continues movement in the same direction in the Outer Region.
  • During normal movement, you can change direction after crossing these junctions, if able.

I think both avalanche and boulder are discarded after "use". I see it that way because of order of operations:

What you do when you draw the boulder (IMO):

1. Roll a die

2. Assuming it's not 1, move the Boulder 6 spaces counter-clockwise.

3. Destroy all cards on spaces 2-6 (and that, IMO, will also destroy the boulder itself).

It doesn't destroy cards space by space. First it makes its move, then destroys.

I know it can be interpreted the other way as well, both seem legit.

I haven't always agreed with the way DE deals with this card, one can only infer that perhaps that they meant for it to be discarded after played but it is not worded as such, but it was clearly meant to plow through and discard whatever is in its path at the least, the one that really annoys me in DE is the Ambush event, DE treats it more like a place than an event and it makes no sense whatsoever. An avalanche and a boulder are physical things that could stick around although I don't imagine an avalanche can be triggered over and over and keep moving in reality, but to my knowledge an ambush cannot possibly be a physical spot where different enemies continually ambush travelers.

And now Cataclysm gives us definitive answer: Events are discarded after their instructions are carried out.

Now only problem is that Planeswalker doesn't make sense.

Cataclysm Rules:

Mixing Expansions Cards Remaining on Spaces

Adventure cards in The Cataclysm do not list the default way that cards are removed from the board. Instead, cards are removed from the board depending on their type, as follows:

• Event cards are discarded after they are encountered and their effects are resolved.

I think this is just for adventure cards from the cataclysm expansion not all event cards.

I think this is just for adventure cards from the cataclysm expansion not all event cards.

Don't overthink this ;)

How does it make sense to split adventure cards into two different kinds? Please elaborate.

Edited by Bludgeon

Don't overthink this ;)

How does it make sense to split adventure cards into two different kinds? Please elaborate.

Because it says so? "Adventure cards in The Cataclysm do not list" and other Adventure cards from other sets do list the default way that cards are removed from the board. So the Adventure cards in The Cataclysm are different and need a rule explaining how to handle them when mixing expansions, Hench the title "Mixing Expansions Cards Remaining on Spaces". If The Cataclysm meant all event cards to use a new rule why not say it sooner in the rules and say "All event cards no matter from what expansion now follow this new rule when used with The Cataclysm expansion"?

I do not thing I'm overthinking this its pretty clear in the description.

As for the Tumbling Boulder discarding itself No.

Tumbling Boulder

Card Type : Event

Roll 1 die:1) Crushed; lose 1 life then discard this card 2-6) Move the Boulder 6 spaces counter-clockwise. For each space the Boulder moves onto, any characters there lose 1 life and any cards there are discarded.

The key word here is moves onto, how can the Tumbling Boulder discard itself when its moving into the space when its supposed to be? Its not there on the space when it moves into the space.. Now who is overthinking this :) .

To me it is pretty obvious that the boulder is discarded after the event. We have played all events as discarded after the effects/turns are resolved. To me that is the idea of an "event"! They need these all defined for these purposes when they run out of space on a card which is what I believe happened here so they did not compromise the picture.

My opinion on why the word "onto" is described: so players would know each space in the string was hit by the boulder. We have encountered this card before and rolled a 6 and we moved the boulder back towards the entrance(counterclockwise)....boulders usually do not roll uphill! ;-)

As the boulder specifically says 'lose 1 life then discard this card' if you roll a 1 we play it like that. Otherwise it stays. If it should be discarded either way the discard instructions should have been written at the end.

Digital edition leaves the boulder and avalanche on the board. It also does the same with Ambush. I disagree with leaving events on the board, it's ridiculous.

The events are on going is how we view it in our games