Gameboard protection

By Spider Rouge, in Reference Materials

Hi folks,

I have been perusing the boards and came across a discussion regarding protecting one's various cards and counters ect.. While I don't have any thing to add regarding protecting the cards as yet, (I am working on a neat design for a 'combined travel storage box/ in-game deck holder thing)' I do have a pretty good solution for protecting the boards.

I use a pair of A1 Portfolio sleeves, those clear polythene 'pockets' we artists use. The main board fits in one pocket a treat with only a couple of inches alongside one edge as surplus. As there is an A1 sized sheet of black sugar paper beneath the board this does not look unsightly.

The second sleeve houses the two expansion boards, with room for a third 'half size' expansion board, supported in the same way.

My boards actually have three sheets of 'Bristol Board' (that thick cardboard used in mounting prints into picture frames)acting to support the whole thing from folding and sagging and the clear plastic allows one to just wipe off any 'ectoplasmic' or 'non-euclidean excretions' easily. As well as the more mundane coffee spills and pools of tears.

With the above strengthening, my boards are usually stored upright along the longest edge without any weakening of the board's joints.

I hope the Innsmouth board is the same size as the base game board as I have one pocket left. I do not know why I havent tried the Galactica board in one yet? I will try that later.

Anyway, hope this helps or is of use and they only cost around £1.60 each, I buy mine from Fred Aldous art supplies in Manchester, but most good stationers stock them.

All the best, happy hunting and see you in Innsmouth,

Spider.

P.s

Everyone seems pretty certain that Innsmouth will be the last big-box expansion? I have yet to discover the original thread/tome for this belief, but supposing it is true, then Why oh why when the 'Mountains of Madness' are crying out 'Tekeli' for the same treatment? To leave that one out would be the greatest crime, against us, the fans/ consumers of this fantastic game system.

The thought of not being persued by a shoggoth across some ancient, frozen metropolis makes me very sad, and somehow incomplete. I can live without a Yithian city and mind swapping mechanics, almost endure the sadness of not having all my dogs picked off within six turns by Mi-go in the Vermont hills and having my brain placed in a jar instead of being 'lost in time and space,' but I really cannot comprehend Arkham Horror without the M.O.Madness, that would truly, truly be insane!'
Come on folks, lets start a petition, a protest, even a jolly good sulk... anything!!! To be honest, I would have happily, despite how much fun I/we have had with it, traded the 'Kingsport Expansion' for the 'M.O.M!'

So come on F.F, Please...'let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!' ( I have the wooley hat and everything)!!!

Spider Rouge said:

Everyone seems pretty certain that Innsmouth will be the last big-box expansion? I have yet to discover the original thread/tome for this belief, but supposing it is true, then Why oh why when the 'Mountains of Madness' are crying out 'Tekeli' for the same treatment? To leave that one out would be the greatest crime, against us, the fans/ consumers of this fantastic game system.

The thought of not being persued by a shoggoth across some ancient, frozen metropolis makes me very sad, and somehow incomplete. I can live without a Yithian city and mind swapping mechanics, almost endure the sadness of not having all my dogs picked off within six turns by Mi-go in the Vermont hills and having my brain placed in a jar instead of being 'lost in time and space,' but I really cannot comprehend Arkham Horror without the M.O.Madness, that would truly, truly be insane!'
Come on folks, lets start a petition, a protest, even a jolly good sulk... anything!!! To be honest, I would have happily, despite how much fun I/we have had with it, traded the 'Kingsport Expansion' for the 'M.O.M!'

There are some pretty talented players here that I am sure could produce a fan expansion to your specifications, in fact Makken1123's mini expansion is well worth a look.

.jpeg

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9W7EV7LR

.eon

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JQ0K9B4S

Cheers

Spectre

As far as I can tell the rumor that Innsmouth is the last expansion is just that: A Rumor. (Don't know what the Pass/Fail conditions are yet lengua.gif )

Most people assume it is the last Board expansion, as Innsmouth is the last town to get the Arkham treatment, but no one official (to my knowledge) has confirmed this. I believe that there is still the possiblility of another board expansion, M.o.M being the most likely, but I'm not sure. They could work it into a small expansion, with a smaller board perhaps also.

I don't think Innsmouth is the last expansion, maybe Maybe the last board...but I hope not.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the delay in repling to both your comments, for which I thank you for, as I have been away.

I have been slightly comforted by the fact that there does not appear to be an official statement regarding Innsmouth being the 'Last' big box expansion, and hope for a board ect from the cold wastes still. Thanks for the head's up.

I do not wish to sound ungreatful for all the work that Fantasy Flight puts into their game, which is, in my opinion, way above and beyond the call of duty. Nor do I wish to demand something 'new' when I have only opened 'Innsmouth Horror' this very morning! It's just that I am, along with most of this particular community, I'm sure, a bit of a 'completist' and was unsettled by the rumour.

I am staggered by the ambition and effort of Arkham Horror and 'The League,' and of the efforts of those of you who spend time answering questions on Forum boards, compiling card list, writing home brew expansions ect. The game is, with such dedication, talent and hard work, 'Endless.'

My only wish list would contain three elements, the first two being the M.oM full board Expansion, and a small Box Expansion making more use of the Mi-go, as mentioned in the original post. I did state then that I could 'endure the sadness of not having all my dogs picked off within six turns by Mi-go in the Vermont hills and having my brain placed in a jar instead of being 'lost in time and space,' well, I take that back! I want those elements, Official elements, thats is, all else, however expertly written and imaginatively done, do not quite 'feel right.'

Makken1123's mini Expansion was fabulous and I congratulate him and thank you for the nudge in that direction, but it is not the same. Come on Fantasy Flight, I have waited impatiently and eagerly like the small child I once was for the Innsmouth box, and have been thrilled to bits with it all day with an enthusiasm for a board game that I truly belived I had grown out of. Lovecraft's world is almost complete, don't let it end with a couple of vital parts of 'The Old Gent's world' missing, lost in time and space!

The third and final element on my wish list will not, alas, happen. It would be a P.C version of Arkham Horror that worked along the lines of the Total War Game's strategy map. I travel a great deal and seldom, what with the demands of both home and family, have the time to play with people. My laptop running that would be pretty amazing and would also help 'Newbies' learn the ropes, ect, and have a monstrous online multi-player potential.

Anway, I have waffled on far enough in a simple 'Thank you,' so take care and keep the dice rolling.

Cheers, Spider.

P.s Innsmouth horror is amazing! Barnabas Marsh! Fantastic!

Wasn't there an interview somewhere that said this is the last of the 'City' expansions but didn't rule out other stuff. And I wouldn't descibe MoM a city expansion. <shrugs>

Hi there!

I don't recall seeing an interview stating such Nyogtha, but then again, I'm sure that the subject has come up many times and in as many threads and I have not looked too hard. If I do come across anything tangible I will post.

I accept that 'At The Mountains Of Madness' would not be a 'true city' expansion board, it is still a city of sorts, though a very ancient and all but abandoned one. The 'Old Gent' describes more than enough locations there for encounters ect, though one would need to contrive travel arrangements a little more creative than $1 train fare. I envision 'Dornier Wal' transport planes and bolt-on radiator heaters(that Pass/Fail), sled dogs and Investigator cards for specific equipment such as Peabody's light weight drilling rig (I think it was Peabodys' design), Elder thing autopsie giblets ect , it could be fantastic and fit in quite well.

I cannot get a specific game mechanic out of my head for this, the one already mentioned regarding a race with shoggoths for the exit, with a posible extra speed bonus for knocking over big, fat albino penguins or tripping up Danforth! I love that thought! Whats more, if FF produced it, it would 'feel right!'

I have a pretty smart A3 printer, and try as I might, I cannot print the 'Dark Pharaoh' and 'Son of Yog.' heralds with the same 'feel' as the genuine, 'out-of-the-box' cards, they still feel 'home made,' which was why I was trying to dis-prove the rumour. I cannot see FF giving up on a much loved and lucrative property, but who knows? We may yet be reduced to Home Brew in the end, and it is as much the quality of our own printing that concerns me, not the quality of all you clever and creative types or the lack of FF support. It may come to that, but not until the stars are right, I hope.

Finally, a more 'city-like' expansion could be 'Red Hook,' with its towering buildings, rotting churches and subteranean waterways. Or, a random map with all the single locations that have cropped up in the 'Lovecraft Cannon;' Exham Priory, (I know it's in the U.K, but so is Goatswood,' another favourite) The shunned House, The Mound, Pickman's studio and subway setting, and of course, Brattleboro and the Akekey farm house complete with dogs, dozens of more Mi-go and of course, Mr Noyes! Throw in a dark steeple on Federal Hil in the distance,and wala!

I think that there is still so much more to mine, and not just on Yuggoth!

Anyway, thank you for all your replies and musings, and will someone please explain to my good lady that 'Innsmouth Expansion' is not 'just another one..,' and why I would want it 'when you have a shelf full of those games already!' I have given up. One of you must have an answer, and 'no,' her introductory game lasted for seventeen minutes until she left to play golf and will not be repeated. Ever. (She has'nt looked at me the same since, which is probably why I am talking to you lot. Over and out.

P.s If anyone is interested, a Dornier Do 'Wal' was possibly the aircraft Lovecraft was refering to while writing Mountains of Madness, and a prototype design model is on display on the very top floor of the Science Museum in London. I think I still have a couple of photos somewhere if anyone remotely interested? Haha just me then!

Cthulhu Fthagnn.Spider.