Psykers

By chaosisgod, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hi!

The phrasing of the Possibility Shield Psychic Power in my opinion leaves room for interpretation. "... the psyker and a number of allies equal to his PR within range of the psyker gain a +10 bonus to one roll each Round."

There's no mention of the type of roll this can applied to. For instance if the player decides to use a fate point to heal d10 wounds they can boost this roll to d10+10 which is a huge difference.

Is this how this was intended?

Compared to Vortex of Doom which considering the XP cost should be a much stronger power this seems out of balance. A challenging (+0) Agility Test doesn't seem to be a threat to either a Space Marine nor to any of their enemies.

My last question is about the Force Weapons possible extra damage if they are wielded by psykers. "...he may ... channel psychic force and killing will into the blade...". Does this mean that enemies which are immune to psychic powers are immune to this extra damage as well?

1) It is intended to be a D100 roll like dodge that gets the +10

2) vortex of doom needs the sentence from OW added about maxing size at PR otherwise it will have around a 70% chance of growing to engulf the planet.

3) Yes it is a psychic power, but not a mind power so collar of khorne is the only thing i can think that would be a defense. Machine trait is not a defense.

The wording of the power should perhaps be:

"gain a +10 bonus to one test each Round."

Otherwise you would also as well as rolls for recovering wounds, add it to the result of damage dice for Righteous fury. Test therefore is a better word to substitute.

RE channeling psychic powers, it still requires a focus power test to manifest the ability but it cannot be opposed by a standard check. It's a pure blast of psychic power which I would not allow Resistance (Psychic Powers) any chance of negating. However a Collar of Khorne (under Tome of Blood) works as a Null Rod. Nothing explicit is mentioned in the books about whether they will stop it but a few forum debates I have read concerning their use in the TT do suggest they can as the weapon will directly affect the wielder with a psychic power which is what the rod prohibits.

Long story short then, if immune to psychic powers, you cannot be affected by the channeling of energy but you can still be affected by the damage from the hit itself.

The +10 is for percentile skill rolls.

The average space marine would have a greater then 45% chance to fail that Agility test. (it is not a dodge)

Using the Force Weapon for additional damage IS considered a psychic power for all intents and purposes. If an entity is imune to psychic power it cannot be harmed by this bonus damage.

I was just making the distinction that it is not a mind influencing power like compel which servitors are immune to. Feel free to blow apart any servitors you want with a force sword.