Earning Your Wings! A Guide For Understanding Movment.

By Osoroshii, in X-Wing

Thanks for share us this knowledge, i really apreciate this, greettings.

Awesome stuff

I didnt realize I knew you Osoroshii. had to think about who made the top 4 lol. I was like, it was me, Darth Malus who made it to the final with me after beating pheaver. Which means you flew the Wes opportunist against me in the top 4. The respect I had for you on the forums went up a couple notches (though was already high to begin with).

I didnt realize I knew you Osoroshii. had to think about who made the top 4 lol. I was like, it was me, Darth Malus who made it to the final with me after beating pheaver. Which means you flew the Wes opportunist against me in the top 4. The respect I had for you on the forums went up a couple notches (though was already high to begin with).

Likewise, that was a tuff list you flew that day. I hope you put that first round bye to good use at nationals, I'd love a rematch :)

Likewise, that was a tuff list you flew that day. I hope you put that first round bye to good use at nationals, I'd love a rematch :)

I look forward to it

I'm hoping to have part six of my guide up by Wednesday. I'm going to focus on Pilot Skill and how it effects movement form both sides the high and low.

Moving in close for the kill is what the Boost does best. Taking advantage of that bonus awarded to the attacker at range one.

You talked about how this works with PTL, but without is this really a wise use?

I ask because on the surface it seems to have the same usefulness as Expose; an action for a bonus attack dice. If you are in your opponents arc they gain an attack dice instead of the lost defense dice of Expose (at this point, the effect is worse than Expose).

I'm not talking about general repositioning uses and other benefits of boost. Just questioning the usefulness of boosting for range bonus without other actions. I find boost useful, but am trying understand this use.

Moving in close for the kill is what the Boost does best. Taking advantage of that bonus awarded to the attacker at range one.

You talked about how this works with PTL, but without is this really a wise use?

I ask because on the surface it seems to have the same usefulness as Expose; an action for a bonus attack dice. If you are in your opponents arc they gain an attack dice instead of the lost defense dice of Expose (at this point, the effect is worse than Expose).

I'm not talking about general repositioning uses and other benefits of boost. Just questioning the usefulness of boosting for range bonus without other actions. I find boost useful, but am trying understand this use.

I think the main thing boost does is create an angle. It works amazing with barrel roll because you make an angle, then barrel roll out of arc

I think the main thing boost does is create an angle. It works amazing with barrel roll because you make an angle, then barrel roll out of arc

I love it with ptl & barrel roll. I even enjoy boost on ships without barrel roll. Using it to change angles is great. Using boost to get out of arcs, or for better positioning is all great.

I'm questioning it as an action for offensive boost (no pun intended) by closing in 1 range band. This tactic seems to have the same effect as the much hated Expose.

A very fair point, I would not boost to range one without that PTL on my Interceptor. Here is what I said:

432409b9dde891667ea752858d147fa9_zpsf3d0

Here we can see the Tie-Interceptor ended the movment just out side of range one. By using the Boost action, it was able to close in for the kill. A very popular upgrade is Push the Limit, if the Interceptor was loaded with PTL it would be able to add that important Focus token as it rolls those four dice.

Perhaps I should have put more emphasis on the important Focus token. I may revisit that part and clear it up.

Part 6: Pilot Skill Level

In X-Wing we have a range of Pilot Skill Level. This number ranges from the low of 1 on an Academy Pilot to the High of 9 on Wedge Antilles. It's important to understand what rolls these numbers play in a game of X-Wing. Any ship can become both the highest and lowest PS level in a game with some in game effects.

af28de9b32b375ac92b2d9e029c69f88_zps9d0b

We are going to talk about the lower Pilot Skill pilots and the roll they can play during the battle. A very good stradegy is blocking. By using a lower pilot than your enemy has, you can block their flight path. This is important as it will deny them the use of their action bar. In the picture below, the PS2 Bandit Squadron Pilot has moved into the path of the Higher Pilot Skill Phantom and block him. This leaves the higher PS Phantom without an action. The rest of the Bandits squad mates will have an easier time dealing damage to the Phantom as he has no way to modify his defensive dice. The Higher PS Phantom will also have a little less bite on the offensive attack, again with no way to modify those dice.

ecc38efbf525dd7ace0de7a480d839cb_zps7056

Before we dive into the best use of a higher Pilot Skilled ship we need to understand a fundamental truth in X-Wing. Every single ship in X-Wing can not escape his own firing arc. The only way a ship can get out of his own firing arc is by using a Boost, Barrel Roll or Decloak action. What this means is where a ship is positioned no move on the dial will get him away from whee he could have shot the last turn. Here I'm illustrating this by placing two range rulers showing the X-Wings firing arc. The templates are showing where the ship can move and you can see it's not outside of it's own firing arc.

441f442d7af6000cf0f6d6bbef9a02d0_zpse38d

So know that we know a ship can not escape from it's self how do we take advantage of this? When you have a chasing position with your higher PS ship over a lower PS ship you now can just follow him. You can plan your move to land as close to where lower PS ship is positioned.

985a7d86542a091dc1c306e8b318491c_zpsb23f

Here we see the PS7 Phantom has the chasing position on the PS5 X-Wing. As the Phantom player we know that X-Wing sits at a bank 3 to get his spot. The X-Wing will move first leaving the space open for your Phantom to land safely. Now no matter where that X-Wing goes we will have a shot on him, as we just learned no ship can escape it's own firing arc.

16209b7145755bf1efb6cc1b5da53f08_zpsbf78

Even if that X-Wing K-Turned he will still be in his own firing arc. The X-wing will get a return shot but it will be stressed and no way to modify the dice. The X-Wing will be left to choose a forward movment only and you as the Phantom player can continue the chase by K-Turning into the X's previous spot. Yes, this means that you will then take an unmodified dice roll but the X-Wing will not be able to return fire from that new position.

The final thing we will cover before wrapping up Part 6 of the movement guide is how different Pilot Skill Levels effect formation flying. A popular formation to fly a squad is the Box formation.

e7fcab4cda47bec6c96857b3d38dd340_zps5ac7

This Box formation has the Bandits further from you in the front of the squad ahead of the PS5 ships. This will make it easier for movment in the beginning of the game as the PS2 Bandits will move first. It will help keep you from bumping your own ships on shorter movements. However you must understand that this box will keep it's orientation to you as it started. Here after a hard turn to the right, we can see the Z's are still further from you but no longer in front of the X's but beside them.

a9a048fb60f58969a9fad0cb6108ad18_zps0d8e

If they take yet another turn turn to the right the box formation will still keep it's orientation to you. This will have the X-Wings now in fron of the Z's and subject to bumping on those short moves.

812f66a3d4591c708d6282b44dc94c92_zps77b4

Just always remember whether you have a ship with PS 3, 5, 7 or 9 they can find themselves playing both roles of Higher or Lower Pilot Skill Levels as thee are ways to get above 9 and below 1. Be adaptive with you stradegy with each ship as it' surely could change mid game.

Part 7: Formation Flying - http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/?p=1157409

Edited by Osoroshii

Yup, this is just a shameless bump back to the top of the front page of the forums. I might as well give you a scene to look at to save face:

"The Chase!"

22047911c33647d0948f431f0a2ffa2b_zpseabd

Great, can we talk about K turns? Especially with the Defender and how it will effect movement after say a 1 or 2 red turn. (because the Defender can switch the direction if it thinks that is the wrong direction.)

I think discussing K turns and the range it will leave you from say a fighter that was in front of you (especially those Big ships which would love to stop you from K turning but give you the stress). Not to mention that all ships have 2 green movement which would probably be the next move after a K turn unless it is a B-wing or defender.

Edited by Marinealver

Great, can we talk about K turns, especially with the Defender and how it will effect movement after say a 1 or 2 red turn. (because the Defender can switch the direction if it thinks that is the wrong direction.

I think discussing K turns and the range it will leave you from say a fighter that was in front of you (especially those Big ships which would love to stop you from K turning but give you the stress).

At this point I've not had that much experience with the Tie-Defender, playing with or against it. I'm writing these guides from my own experiences. I have said before digging into a signal pilot is something I want to avoid, at least at this point. Haven't really considered a ship specific guide. Most of the guides are broad enough to cover every ship. If I focus down on a single ship there might not be enough for a good article on them with out getting into specific builds for those ships. I'm not sure I want to go to deeply into list building as part of the fun in X-Wing in coming up with your own custom squad.

"They'd be crazy to follow us!"

65b9d6c00875a9bde259d50eff7928f8_zps591f

Any tutorials for doing ball magnet mounting? :P

I really want to be able to bank my ships like you can.

This post is a work of art. Keep it up.

Any tutorials for doing ball magnet mounting? :P

I really want to be able to bank my ships like you can.

Here is where you can order the ring magnets http://www.kjmagnetics.com

The part number for the ring magnet is : R421

The part number for the steel ball is : NSB3

I know it can be a scary adventure making a permanent change to the model. There really isn't much to it at all and can be discribed in 5 easy steps

1) remove the peg mount from the ship. Most times this can be gently rocked back and forth and it will just slide out.

2) glue the ring magnet to the ship. Do you best to line the hole of the ring magnet above the hole where the peg use to be.

3) glue two pegs sections together. After all the little nub means nothing to a ship with a magnet glued to it.

4) cut the connecting nub from the peg. Use sand paper to flatten out the top of the peg. This also crates a ruff surface to hold the glue better for the steel ball

5) glue the steel ball onto the peg. I found it works best to use an extra ring magnet to hold the steel ball in place on the table. Dab a small amount of glue to the top of it and hold the peg to it for a little bit. Once there is a good seal add a little extra glue to the seem where the peg meets the steel ball.

A different magnet was used for the Large ships but the same method.

The ring for large ships is this: R622CS-N

And the Steel ball is this : NSB4

When I buy more ships I will put a guide together on how to do it, but it is really easy.

Time for more Eye Candy! (Shhh, it' sercretly just a bump)

Personalize your number tokens to add some flare

a5eaa847a558cf2077fc44445105ab40_zps6914

Edited by Osoroshii

Rise!

Did you just glue them onto spare tokens?

Part 7: Formation Flying

Formation Flying is one of the strongest srategies in X-Wing. The reason being is, it keeps your ships tightly together making focus fire easier. Focus Fire, is when you attack the same ship with all of your ships. The idea here is to eliminate a ship as quick as possible. If you were facing a Tie Swarm and were given 6 damage to deal to that swarm, would you deal 1 damage to six ships, 2 damage to 3 ships or 3 damage to 2 ships? The correct answer is 3 damage to 2 ships, that is Focus firing.

When I first started out playing this game ( and that was last year at GenCon ) I came across a YouTube video showing tips and tricks. Nick put together a video showing off Formation Flying. I could not do a better job than Nick did in this video, so I'm including it here. This video helped me become the player I am today and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

Now I used a lot of Nicks tips in flying the Box formation. You should take the time to practice these yourself aswell. While increasing my stradegy in X-Wing I came across a different way to set up a formation of four ships that behaves better with banks and turns. I refer to this formation as The Box Top. Image fooling the lids closed on a cardboard box how each flap both goes over another flap while beneath another. This is how it looks:

e584bbf49b2567bd3d514ed686347b0b_zps4144

Each ship is off set from one another to allow the pivot of the bases during banks and turns without hitting. This is a tricky formation to set up with in range 1 of the maps edge. The front ship and back ship won't fit within the required starting position. You will need to practice setting either the front or back ship to bank or turn into formation during the first movment phase. I'm not going to share my setup for the beginning of the game, you'll have to figure that out on you own. After all I have to keep some secrets :) .

I will show you the proper distance, and how to set the formation up for practice. First get a quarter, draw a circle with the quarter and then as if making a target symbol draw lines vertically and horizontally meeting dead center of the circle:

4d7ad1b025a40e61cf1b6c45e6d9504e_zps3d3d

Now place the front ship with it's right side to the virticle line but not in the circle. Place the back ship with it's left side on the virticle line, again not in the circle. It will look like this:

9de49c3ecdb9690d50d23a43eca56445_zps7ce1

Now for the left ship you want the front of the ships base to be on the horizontal line, not in the circle. The right ship, the back of the base should be on the horizontal line but not in the circle. In this picture I removed the front and back ships so you can have an easier time see the left and right ships:

c87313fa12605d3b1fac42935b0c1868_zpsf7d5

Once all ships are down take out a template and start moving them about the table. Here in the next two pictures I'm moving all the ships with a bank 2 maneuver. You'll notice the shape has changed in the space between the ships then where we started:

04eda16c9b055834132a707a32b9905c_zps414f

61ad010b610eb8f2c13f69f9c61984ed_zpsb518

The space between the ships widened and they came close to bumping but never did. A hard turn or straight maneuver will leave the shape as it was. Let's look at our formation again as it banks a second time. This time using a bank 1:

1524c6cbed378d390d3e1e79a5b58317_zps51b6

4a269681b24dd97e9b6580472d469495_zps6c0f

There we can see the shape between the ships has returned to the original shape we started with. These two shapes are the only two you should see. When this squad is flown around in the Box Top formation it will make it so you down have to remember the different speed rules shown to us by Nick. This formation will not drift apart as the game goes one either. So have fun and remember to focus fire.

Part 8: Large Ship Barrel Roll - http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/?p=1222267

Edited by Osoroshii

I'm not familiar with BoLS? Is that another fan site?

Bell of Lost Souls. It's a war gaming blog, one of the bigger ones. Originally it was exclusively Games Workshop coverage, but as GW becomes increasingly insane they have branched out a little bit. The have a couple guys who post x-wing articles every week or two, including Clint, the guy who writes metal bikini.

Overall, I find their articles kinda mediocre, with too much emphasis on tournaments and organized play but the x-wing stuff has been pretty decent so far. They do have a bit of a reputation for being kind of cliquish though.