Earning Your Wings! A Guide For Understanding Movment.

By Osoroshii, in X-Wing

I'm not sure if I should dive into a specific pilot for these guides. I'm trying to avoid personal opinions while putting together these guides. I'm very pleased they are well received by the community and would like to keep it that way. I will include Push the Limits in my boost guide as examples.

Great thread. You should edit your original post to provide direct links to parts 2, 3, etc. That way future readers don't have to scroll through a ton of posts to find your guides.

Great thread. You should edit your original post to provide direct links to parts 2, 3, etc. That way future readers don't have to scroll through a ton of posts to find your guides.

Great suggestion! Have already taken care of it, that is why you're the Major and I'm still a private.

OP - Where did you get the mat you used in your first post (part 1)?

That is the Frozen Planet vinyl mat from Gale Force Nine. You can find that and other space mats here: http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=4160

Superb. Thanks for this!

That is the Frozen Planet vinyl mat from Gale Force Nine. You can find that and other space mats here: http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=4160

Thanks! Looks like they are out of that mat though: http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13496

Any chance this company will start selling it again?

I have seen different designs come and go from their selection. I'm not sure if they ever reprint an earlier design.

I'm not sure if I should dive into a specific pilot for these guides. I'm trying to avoid personal opinions while putting together these guides. I'm very pleased they are well received by the community and would like to keep it that way. I will include Push the Limits in my boost guide as examples.

If you do then I request Mauler Mithel because at 24 points including Push the Limit and Engine Upgrade, that seems like a real candidate for getting in the coveted range one shot angle without getting shot back.

Thanks! Looks like they are out of that mat though: http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13496

Any chance this company will start selling it again?

I have seen different designs come and go from their selection. I'm not sure if they ever reprint an earlier design.

Heh, I just got that mat off ebay for 37$ with shipping

For those of you interested the Mat used for Part 3: The Barrel Roll, that is a mat that was given out to the top 8 Regional event held at Mr. Nice Guy Games in Monroeville PA. The Mat is made of a mouse pad material and was custom made for the event. the manufacturer of the Mat was http://gamermats.com/ . I spoke to them and in about a month they will have a line of mats design for X-Wing. Or you can always design your own and send it to them and have your very own custom mat.

Keeping this post towards the top. It is a great guide. I was able to use some of it and actually kept out of most asteroids. (Still hit one on a K turn though, need a little more practice.)

I know you are using boosts for your next subject, but on a question how do you think stress effects the next move in the game? (Some how with luck I was able to ion-stress a defender off the matt.) Can you use it to predict the next movements for your opponent?

This post is very noob-friendly. I loved it!

Keeping this post towards the top. It is a great guide. I was able to use some of it and actually kept out of most asteroids. (Still hit one on a K turn though, need a little more practice.)

I know you are using boosts for your next subject, but on a question how do you think stress effects the next move in the game? (Some how with luck I was able to ion-stress a defender off the matt.) Can you use it to predict the next movements for your opponent?

From what I've seen, most players will immediately clear stress from a ship. So a ship with stress is some what a way of predicting where it will go. I would warn you that the good players will use that against you.

Edited by Osoroshii

Excellent guide! Many thanks!

Great guide! Very helpful! Thank you very much!

I definetly appreciate all the thanks and support for my thread here. I should be able to get the Boost portion of the guide up tomorrow afternoon. Share your stories of putting the parts of the guide into play and how it helped you, or didn't help you.

Part 4: The Boost Action

One of the things we should cover before diving into the boost action is range. The range ruler is three sections and the defender gets a bonus at range 3 while the attacker gets the bonus at range one. Understanding the distance a single section on that range ruler is important. Each section is 2.5 small bases long, that makes the total length of the ruler at 7.5 bases.

be0db401dc1ddd0ee3eb6879a3297c5d_zps051a

Let's look closer at what the boost really does. Choosing the Boost action is like adding another movment step at the end of the movement step. You get to correct or adjust your position, using either the 1 forward or 1 bank. The distance these moves travel is covered in Part 1 of this guide.

9aaa06481ad5aeaf399a95eb11a38de0_zpscf73

A benifit the ships with Boost have is the ability to almost get turned around with out the stress of a K-turn. It's one of actions that every ship in X-Wing can gain via the Engine Upgrade modification card. This is why it is such a popular choice for the Lamda Shuttle as it lacks the K-turn from it's dial.

e05c4ba65c637f6657bd058a598de0d0_zps7528

Moving in close for the kill is what the Boost does best. Taking advantage of that bonus awarded to the attacker at range one.

432409b9dde891667ea752858d147fa9_zpsf3d0

Here we can see the Tie-Interceptor ended the movment just out side of range one. By using the Boost action, it was able to close in for the kill. A very popular upgrade is Push the Limit, if the Interceptor was loaded with PTL it would be able to add that important Focus token as it rolls those four dice. A ship such as the Interceptor gains a lot of maneuverability by having both the Boost and Barrel Roll actions in combination with PTL. In Part 3 of the guide we talked about those virticle lines and how important it is to change off these lines to Barrel Roll out of an enemies arc. Since Boost allows you to change off of the line after movment there is less guess work needed. If your enemy stays on his line and you stay on yours, the boost allows you to get off the line for the killer Barrel Roll.

In this illustration we can see the Interceptor using Push The Limit. Not only getting into that range one attack but using PTL to barrel roll off to the side leaving the X-Wing frustrated with no shot.

652b15855ec3b584a2ced6881af52f06_zps5d6c

Part 5: Decloaking - http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/?p=1152870

Edited by Osoroshii

yep.. need to sticky this thread! Admin!

I was able to use part one and part two in my last game. Really think this is improving my flying capabilities. Thanks for posting and putting in the work!

Loving these posts. Thanks for using your valuable time to help outline these aspects of the game!

Thanks again for posting these. Like oddeye, I too used these guides to help my flying, especially how to measure the bank using the base.

One correction: in you boost article, you mention both the Interceptor and A-Wing gain a lot of maneuverability by having both boost and barrel roll actions in combination with PtL. A-Wings do not have barrel roll on their action bar.

Thanks again for posting these. Like oddeye, I too used these guides to help my flying, especially how to measure the bank using the base.

One correction: in you boost article, you mention both the Interceptor and A-Wing gain a lot of maneuverability by having both boost and barrel roll actions in combination with PtL. A-Wings do not have barrel roll on their action bar.

Edited by Osoroshii

Excellent work! Keep it up!

Now that Parts 1-4 are done, what does this mean to you. Improving your game to where you can confidently walk into a tournament knowing you have the foundation of knowledge that could lead to wins. After all, we covet the rare prizes FFG hands out at these events. I've put away my cardboard pieces, the guides from here on will be using these prizes as a sign of our hard work to improve our game.

0ec4f74c4d30c9a18ce7d85b4d770b44_zpsf7b3

Using a combination of these lesson on movement I was lucky enough to place in the Top 4 of the regional event I participated in. The Dice were awarded to the top 8 while the movement templates to the Top 4.

My next part of the movment guide will illustrate the Decloak action. I hope to have it completed soon.

Part 5: Decloaking

With the release of Wave 4, FFG introduced the Tie-Phantom and the Cloak action along with it. Currently the Tie-Phantom is the only ship to have the Cloak action, so much of our Decloaking guide will focus on the Phantom. Cloaking in itself is a powerful effect, adding two defensive dice to protect the ship in cloak. It's when the removal of the cloak token or Decloaking, that will examin here.

When a ship opts to Decloak it must do so before revealing the dial for that ship. That ship will then place a 2 straight template to the left, right or straight ahead and then continue to move with the maneuver on the dial. In this picture we can see the three choices Decloaking gives us.

9fd92a377466a7b9db64c0ae1af352b1_zps1385

Here we see the ship set the dial to a 1 turn to the right. This is where the ship could be after Decloaking and taking the 1 turn.

6662f1a9a244cbe4f7056c2c30c34de9_zpsb82b

The wide variety of places a ship can end up after Decloaking make this action one of the most elusive in the game. In this next picture we can see the options the Cloaked ship has while approaching another ship.

a2c6ee37473137aa4519eb7e93484dc2_zpsd488

In that picture we can see the Phantom Decloaked and had a 2 bank to the right. With the 3 options available the phantom player can choose what position will best suit the situation. Decloaking to the left and then banking into the target. This will allow for a range 1 shot netting that range bonus for the attacker. If the Phantom would not like to get shot at this maybe a bad choice and the other two Decloaking options will leave the Phantom with no shot but also not getting shot at. Facing off 1vs1 against a ship that has the cloak action is a tall order for any ship as the struggle to keep it in its sights.

Part 6: Pilot Skill Level - http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/?p=1154853

Edited by Osoroshii