Karak Azgaraz - Harrower of Thanes

By ElCommi, in WFRP Gamemasters

I'm preparing to run this campaign with my group Sunday next week.

The group consists of a Priest of Taal, a Dwarf Ironbreaker (who left his armour at home due to an unfortunate incident involving ale..) and a High Elf Physician.

There will also be a human mage joining the group this week most likely- I'm going to need a hook to incorporate the mage into the group so it doesn't feel too random.

But I'm a little wary about how to incorporate the high elf into the Dwarf keep? He has saved the Ironbreakers life many-a-time, and also recovered the hammer from "An Eye for an Eye".

I haven't been able to find any details on how to return the hammer and appropiate rewards: any advice and suggestions for this campaign?

So far the group has managed Eye for an Eye, and The Gathering Storm (well, the Dwarf/Elf have, the other 2 are new palyers) quite well - along with the start of an on-going storyline involving a necromancer who is chasing the players to recover a stolen artifact (which points to a highly prized forbidden tome...)

I was thinking of maybe running a small fan-made scenario to lead up to the Dwarf hold any suggestions? Or would it be better to just jump in at the deep end?

Harrower of Thanes is a Total Party Kill (Glorioius Death) scenario. I would strongly warn your players that not every combat is fought to win. Characters WILL die.

I wold start with Journey to Blackfire pass (the demo download..or if you've written a scenario for the scenario contest and have a physical copy).

jh

Harrower of Thanes is a Total Party Kill (Glorioius Death) scenario. I would strongly warn your players that not every combat is fought to win. Characters WILL die.

I wold start with Journey to Blackfire pass (the demo download..or if you've written a scenario for the scenario contest and have a physical copy).

jh

Oh dear.. I wasn't expecting it to be a tough run - I was thinking of running Journey to blackfire before Harrower, but wasn't sure how it would work without using the premade characters. (I'm still relatively new to GM'ing).

Don't get me wrong. It was a blast to play, but even my Ironbroken died in a party of 4 min-maxed, power-gamed, munchkin, twinked-out dwarves and a overpowered Disciple of Sigmar.

I warned my group on Facebook following this and got the response "Challenge Accepted: If we die, we die"

I'm not entirely sure how a one-legged (disease ridden) elf is going to survive the boat ride there, let alone make it through: But I'm sure it will be fun finding out!

There are quite a few short scenarios available, official and fan-made, that you can use if your PCs are travelling by a boat. I'm sure people here can recommend you suitable ones. Do you have a more specific idea what kind of things you would like the scenario to feature?

Here you can find Noblesse Oblige and Masquerade of Horrors which I think are both excellent: http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=259 They are 2nd edition, but I am sure they are easy enough to convert to 3rd ed.

Don't get me wrong. It was a blast to play, but even my Ironbroken died in a party of 4 min-maxed, power-gamed, munchkin, twinked-out dwarves and a overpowered Disciple of Sigmar.

Were there any particular lessons re lethalness of encounters etc.?

Yes, run from the final encounter. You'll already be too weak from everything else. Run. Run and don't look back. Of course we played it as dwarfs on the final crusade, so we were a bit death-minded anyways.

Edited by Emirikol

There are quite a few short scenarios available, official and fan-made, that you can use if your PCs are travelling by a boat. I'm sure people here can recommend you suitable ones. Do you have a more specific idea what kind of things you would like the scenario to feature?

Here you can find Noblesse Oblige and Masquerade of Horrors which I think are both excellent: http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=259 They are 2nd edition, but I am sure they are easy enough to convert to 3rd ed.

Nothing too much - they are quite badly worn, so I'd like a chance for them to rest up a little (Don't want to kill them before the adventure starts), and a nice easy way to ease an RPG noob into the game.

I was thinking of throwing in a Witch Hunter to harass the noob (He's rolled a wizard) and let the rest of the party walk in on it, then offer them the choice of heading to Ubersreik (For the REvenant - slightly modified to tie in with their favorite necromancer) or on to Black Fire.

Being waylaid by bandits or attacked by wolves is a little unwarhammery...

I've had a read through Journey to Black Fire, and I think I'll run that with my group before Harrower of Thanes.

Does anyone know if there are maps available showing the Old Dwarven path etc?

My group are in a boat coming from Stromdorf - i was thinking to have them meet up with the party from the scenario (Or at least.. the surviving members)- is this feasible?
I was hoping for a map in order to work out where they'd likely meet and make it so they get sidetracked into the adventure.

*edit* NVM found it... will have to consider how I'm gonig to make this work.

Edited by ElCommi