Dealing with Bionics

By RogalDorn01, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Yeah I am VERY glad there are no Dark Angels in my party! That is a gross ability for sure

Dark Angels also get Paranoia.

To me, that's just the general view a Techmarine would have as their talents all lead down that kind of path. Towards the end of my Forge Master's life, I became lost a fair amount of mobility in exchance for increased armor and mass. In my artificier armor + toughness bonus there was little that could hurt me unless they had high Pen, as my total value was around 25 in each slot. Basically I was a damage soak, and there's even a Dark Angel Class Advance that would give me terminator armor as standard and an ability that I could Test to have enemies target me instead of allies. Given my character I chose Forge Master instead.

our KT barely ever comes across enemies not handled in magnitude which don't have warp weapons, ignoring armor :s

To me, that's just the general view a Techmarine would have as their talents all lead down that kind of path. Towards the end of my Forge Master's life, I became lost a fair amount of mobility in exchance for increased armor and mass. In my artificier armor + toughness bonus there was little that could hurt me unless they had high Pen, as my total value was around 25 in each slot. Basically I was a damage soak, and there's even a Dark Angel Class Advance that would give me terminator armor as standard and an ability that I could Test to have enemies target me instead of allies. Given my character I chose Forge Master instead.

our KT barely ever comes across enemies not handled in magnitude which don't have warp weapons, ignoring armor :s

"...unless it is created from

psychoactive materials or carries the holy quality. Force fields
still work against these attacks normally."
I assume Holy is meaning Sanctified.

I like how, at first, it seemed like a player just being an ass, and unnecessarily, but then it gets to feeling more like he's instead just playing the character right, and that's what the Chapter does. I find the Iron Hands sort of silly, NOI, and imagine the others having to keep an eye on one, lest he start quietly removing bits of the Rhino, and trying to integrate them into his body. It was always an odd, if interesting Chapter flaw, with all that goes into making Space Marine super-flesh, and these nut-and-bolt jobs wanting to hack it off, and replace it with more "mundane" technology. Wonder if, in fluff, there is a cut-off point of how much they can replace? I've heard of Magos that are only slightly less mechanical than the characters from Ghost in the Shell, and they are basically a handful of brain cells, interred inside attractive human-simulating robot bodies. There are lots of extra bits that go into making a Space Marine, and once you've taken out their special blood, redundant organs, Black Carapace in large segments (can't integrate with your armor so easy now, can you?), and such, they really shouldn't still be Astartes, just really well trained soldiers who long to be the next Men of Iron.

As for downtime, between excessive training, wide adaptability, and hardy construction, I'd imagine the cybernetics not taking too long to acclimatize to, but that's just me.

I agree, them iron hands can get pretty obsessive about replacing more and more of their flesh with bionic, seems to me he was roleplaying it right. If it was another chapter i'd have my reservations (as a GM) but Iron hands makes total sense. I think they even ritualy cut of and replace one of their hands. Altough my homebrew "World Breakers" chapter frowns heavily upon such practices ("the Emperors design made us superior in mind and flesh and they replace with bionics like a common ork!")