Wood Elves and Humans

By thePREdiger, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hi,

can anyone point me towards some info about how Wood Elves react/interact with Humans from the empire.

From what I "know" is that elves see Humans inferior and just handy tools to do stuff for them.

I am about to rerun Thousand Thrones, but this time I do not have an elf in my group to be an easy link between the elves and the humans in Chapter 3.

Any suggestions?

What you "know" seems right to me and was pertty much how I handled it in my version of 1000 Thrones.

A couple of novels have some demonstration of their attitudes. Mostly they don't think of humans period, when they do it's as foolish, short-lived desctructive brutes - though strategically handy if manipulated (Bretonnia etc.). Take the general xenophobia everyone has in the Old World, layer on vast cultural/lifespan differeences. A particularly open-minded Asrai might have a liking or respect for one the way you would a particularly loyal and clever dog, but at the end of the day it's still a dog.

You will find a heavily researched and accurate fan product from us at Liber Fanatica: http://www.liberfanatica.net/Elf_Project.html Herr Arnulf knows his stuff and really dove into it.

Go see the movie Maleficent and you'll get the gist ;)

jh

thx for the replies!

@Valvorik

I am going to use your adaption regarding the elves in my TTT campaign, but now one of my players random rolled a dwarven gambler - the other players are 4x human (one is a noble bretonnian!) and 1 ogre.

I think the kithband will play out as in your campaign and just ignore the dwarf and will see the light wizard as the pack leader of "dogs".

I wonder if bretonnians know more about the abduction of gifted childern than just fairytales. Do you think the bretonnian (and/or the light wizard) should be granted a folklore check (hard) to recall those bedtime stories to figure out a piece of the puzzle around the intentions of the kithband?

Found this nice passage in the pdf Emirikol linked:

Bretonnia and the Fay Court

Athel Loren has inspired countless ballads, fables and legends throughout the lands of Bretonnia. Ever since the kingdom was united under King Louis, the Fay Enchantress has been revered as a saint of the Lady of the Lake. The Asrai have secretly manipulated Bretonnian religion to their own advantage by promoting technological conservatism as a spiritual ideal. By limiting Bretonnia’s industrial progress, the Wood Elves hope to stall humanity’s encroachment on Athel Loren. Bretonnian nobles are largely amenable to the wood elves’ agenda, because the old ways appeal to their chivalric codes. Besides, industrialisation might empower the merchant class.
Envoys from the Fay Court sometimes visit nobles at their castles, or spy on their villages. While most Bretonnians consider an elf sighting to be a good sign, the fay are privately feared. Parents scare children with tales of slit-eyed elves watching from the trees at night, looking for human infants with magical ability to carry away to Loren. Kidnapped boys never return; the girls are trained as Damsels of the Lady and only return from the forest as adults.
Bretonnian dukes occasionally crusade against Loren when Orion’s wild hunt wreaks havoc on their fiefs. However, these vengeance crusades are short-lived because Bretonnia’s knights unwittingly obey the commands of Ariel through her intermediary, the Fay Enchantress. Glory-seeking knights sometimes mistake the Fay Enchantress for the Lady of the Lake, and Grail Damsels receive their prophetic visions from mirror-pools that can reflect the Fay Enchantress’ image far beyond Athel Loren.

Tangentially-related, saw Mailificent over the last weekend.

The scene near start where the human king leads his army against the fey forest looks like it was story-boarded by someone familiar with warhammer. That "forest army" just needed some dryads to be classic Athel Loren dealing with an intruder.

That's exactly what I was thinking, especially since I'm prepping our Bretonnia background and have been [slowly] plodding through the Orion book series.

I was mentally mining the scene for new monster types, but it looked like dryads, spites, and treefolk.

The WOOD ELVES WFB book has the advanced version names of all those creatures and have been also useful for ideas.

Somebody made a fan-scenario called False Pretenses which has some connection to the Wood Elves of the Laurelorn up by Schlaghugel in Nordland. Might be a good start for a campaign as well.