XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

1 hour ago, PartridgeKing said:

Just show me where to aim my Tweet and I shall bring out the account that I do absolutely nothing with to make it happen! (I only ask for directions due to not being particular Twitter savvy and preferring not to inundate some poor other Ian Fraser with questions about our 5-winged Saviour (I need to use that more often!))

I believe the guys to persuade now are Jon Favreau , Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo .

swz71_upgrade_multi-missile-pod.png swz71_upgrade_synced-cannons.png

...Gunboat?

Gunboat.

4 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

swz71_upgrade_synced-cannons.png

...Gunboat?

How, the boat gets only one (1) canonslot. (sure ffg can fix that)

2 minutes ago, Dragon_King said:

How, the boat gets only one (1) canonslot. (sure ffg can fix that)

Yeah, the XG-1 title gave 2 slots in 1st edition. I'm sure they could add a cannon sot to the main chassis though. These both seem like upgrades that could come out in a 2nd Ed. Gunboat reprint...

I'll be the crank: I hope Gunboats never get two cannon slots . SLC was probably specifically--and correctly--designed to require two slots, in order to keep it off of Gunboats. I'm just always always always going to hate easy 3 dice weapons, since they upend the entire concept of having 2 red dice. Barrage Rockets are the worst thing to have happened to missiles in 2e. Should have been a bullseye-only weapon.

Anyhow, MMP is probably fun. Probably more fun than good, but fun. SLAM into Advanced-Lock into side-arc is a nice way to keep gunboats relevant on those wide sweeping rounds where they can't quite turn around. It's interesting to think of the trade-offs vs Cluster Missiles. Both Range 1-2 Lock-based missiles. MMP trades a second attack against a different target for a mini-Proton-Rocket and a 2-dice 180 degree full arc.

MMP seem like they'll be bad on Aggressors and K-Wings (no movement + lock tricks), also useless on HMP (why bother?), but might be fun on Gunboats and Punishers for the 180-ness which seems cool combined with boost/slam, or the bullseye effect on TIE Bombers or Baktoid Prototypes.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:50 AM, theBitterFig said:

Anyhow, MMP is probably fun. Probably more fun than good, but fun. SLAM into Advanced-Lock into side-arc is a nice way to keep gunboats relevant on those wide sweeping rounds where they can't quite turn around. It's interesting to think of the trade-offs vs Cluster Missiles. Both Range 1-2 Lock-based missiles. MMP trades a second attack against a different target for a mini-Proton-Rocket and a 2-dice 180 degree full arc.

So... MMP are priced high, 8 points. An OS-1 Nu with Multi-Missile Pods clocks in at 40 without any other upgrades. 45 with Fire Control System and Advanced SLAM.

I can't really see it being worth it that high. For that price, I could get a Hull Upgrade Auzituck.

I feel like it could have been fun, but at this price? Gross.

Geez, it was hard to find this thread again.

Here is the most glorious page of the Starships and Speeders book:

vpLGdI0.jpeg

The Legends are true. All of them.

Starships and Speeders is just a collection of all the vehicles from all the FFG Star Wars RPG sourcebooks and adventure modules, right?

They were almost all originally printed under the Legends continuity (not that it was called that at the time).

Just because S&S has been published this year, doesn't make it canon, right?

Obviously I'd be happy to be wrong here.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:19 AM, theBitterFig said:

So... MMP are priced high, 8 points. An OS-1 Nu with Multi-Missile Pods clocks in at 40 without any other upgrades. 45 with Fire Control System and Advanced SLAM.

I can't really see it being worth it that high. For that price, I could get a Hull Upgrade Auzituck.

I feel like it could have been fun, but at this price? Gross.

I tried gunboats with MMP and my conclusion is that price is not what holding it back, it's range. The Gunboat REALLY wants weapons with range 3 due to how it moves. TIE Bombers on the other hand works great with MMP.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, GuacCousteau said:

Starships and Speeders is just a collection of all the vehicles from all the FFG Star Wars RPG sourcebooks and adventure modules, right?

They were almost all originally printed under the Legends continuity (not that it was called that at the time).

Just because S&S has been published this year, doesn't make it canon, right?

Obviously I'd be happy to be wrong here.

Some of the FFG SW RPGs have been (re-)released under disney canon (which for example meant re-releases got the Bothans retconned out).

On 12/4/2020 at 11:48 AM, Odanan said:

Geez, it was hard to find this thread again.

Here is the most glorious page of the Starships and Speeders book:

vpLGdI0.jpeg

The Legends are true. All of them.

Notice something about this article?

They're calling it the Assault Gunboat again.

That part of the name was almost completely absent from the X-Wing miniatures cards.

59 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Notice something about this article?

They're calling it the Assault Gunboat again.

That part of the name was almost completely absent from the X-Wing miniatures cards.

Yes. I thought you would like that.

One last time, with feeling:

THANK YOU FFG!

Commence GUNBOAT posting till the end!

b8cc9a7b4a38b0514dad3a20f96bb110.jpg

Edited by RogueLeader42

GUNBOAT!!

swx69_preview2.jpg?w=640

10 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Commence GUNBOAT posting till the end!

b8cc9a7b4a38b0514dad3a20f96bb110.jpg

She's a fine ship, @RogueLeader42 . A d--n fine ship. GUNBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAT!

It's been one **** of a trip, waiting wave after wave just to see this little ship come to light.
And it did shine upon getting on the mat.
I will keep the memory of my Rho Squadron pilot with deadeye and harpoon missiles wreaking havoc behind enemy lines. 😪

❤️

Its been a pleasure to fly with you all! GUN_RHO to the end.

25 minutes ago, Arma Quattro said:

I will keep the memory of my Rho Squadron pilot with deadeye and harpoon missiles wreaking havoc behind enemy lines. 😪

Director Quattro.... you may fire when ready. GUNBROS 4 LIFE!

Edited by FTS Gecko

Memeing and ****posting the Assault Gunboat into actual physical reality will forever be my favourite X-Wing TMG memory.

The thrill of seeing that official announcement after hundreds of pages of this thread....

Thanks for being part of the Rho Boat Wild Ride, guys. Hoping to see the spirit live on in a now totally redundant hundred page thread on BGG.

For the greater glory of the Empire.... DESTROY EVERYTHING!

This might be the last time any of us get to say this here. So for old times sake:

GUNBOAT!!!

GUNBOAT!