Gate appearance frequency at locations.

By FreeBird2, in Reference Materials

I wonder if anyone has counted the number of cards for each location on the Mythos cards?

I just checked for the original game:

Woods has 10

Unvisited Isle has 10

Independance Square has 10

Witch House has 10

Graveyard has 6

Unnamable has 6

Black Cave has 6

Science Building, Hibs Roadhouse, Historical Society & Silver Tighlight have 2 each.

Has anyone checked the # for the expansion sets?

I believe the % remains the same

IIRC, Solan posted something about these on the old forums, mainly CotDP vs KiY (so not a huge impact overall, if using all expansions). If memory serves, DP added more to the less-active locations, while KiY went with the base-game division.

Dam said:

IIRC, Solan posted something about these on the old forums,

And never been re-posted?

ColtsFan76 should have all the cards ever made listed in file gran_risa.gif . If he has the gate location for each Mythos card listed (don't know, but assuming), it isn't a lot of checking to get frequency per expansion. Drop him a PM (sorta), I'm sure he'll oblige.

The percentages aren't the same but the proportions are still the same.

Consider three categories: Hot Spots, Warm Spots, Cool Spots.

Hot: Independence Square, The Witch House, Unvisited Isle, Woods

Warm: Black Cave, Graveyard, The Unnamable

Cool: Hibb's Roadhouse, Historical Society, Science Building, Silver Twilight Lodge

Arkham has 10 Hot each (15.2%), 6 Warm each (9.1%), and 2 Cool each (3.0%).

CotDP adds 2 Hot each (11.1%), 1 Warm each (5.6%), and 1 Cool each (5.6%) plus 3 "Other/" Mythos (16.6%).

DH adds 2 Hot each (5.6%), 1 Warm each (2.8%), and 0 Cool each (0.0%) plus 25 "Dunwich" Mythos (69.4%).

KiY adds 3 Hot each (11.1%), 2 Warm each (7.4%), and 0 Cool each (0.0%) plus 9 "Other/" Mythos (33.3%).

KH adds 2 Hot each (9.1%), 2 Warm each (9.1%), and 1 Cool each (4.5%) plus 4 "Other/" Mythos (18.2%).

BGotW adds 2 Hot each (8.7%), 2 Warm each (8.7%), and 1 Cool each (4.3%) plus 5 "Other/" Mythos (21.7%).

TOTAL now has 21 Hot each (9.2%), 14 Warm each (6.1%), and 5 Cool each (2.2%) plus 21 "Other/" Mythos (9.2%) and 25 "Dunwich" Mythos (11.0%).

So depending how you mix and match, the percentage of what you have will change. However, every "hot" gate will have the exact same number as every other hot gate no matter how you mix the expansions. I am not sure how Innsmouth will act but I assume it will follow the same pattern.

And while this wasn't mentioned above, Dunwich makes Wizard's Hill Hot, Gardener's Place Warm, and Cold Spring Glen, Devil's Hopyard, Whateley Farm all Cool. Mixing JUST AH and DH, will also make these places consistent with their AH counterpart. For example, all Hot will have 12 cards each, all Warm have 7, and all Cool have 2.

One other note: A gate opening is always paired with the same Clue location (and Gate Bursts are always paired with the same 2 Clue locations). However, due to Rumors , the Clue distribution is not the same as the gate distribution. So when a location is Hot for gates, its corresponding Clue location is Hot for Clues in general but it may not be as hot as onther Hot Clue location.

" A gate opening is always paired with the same Clue location "

Not quite. There's one (or two?) Woods gates in the base game that place clues at Independence Square rather than Historical Society. It also doesn't always work for Gate Bursts - Independence Square usually places a clue at the Unnamable, but BGOTWs "Fires in the Night" places at Hibbs and the Lodge.

cim said:

" A gate opening is always paired with the same Clue location "

Not quite. There's one (or two?) Woods gates in the base game that place clues at Independence Square rather than Historical Society. It also doesn't always work for Gate Bursts - Independence Square usually places a clue at the Unnamable, but BGOTWs "Fires in the Night" places at Hibbs and the Lodge.

Yep, You're right. I must have looked at too small of sample when I drew that conclusion. That's what I get for speaking off of memory on Clue tokens without the fact sin front of me.

Besides the two base Woods exceptions, that statement is correct. Then once you get into the expansions, especially the more recent ones, it is more scattered.