Challenge for character makers!!

By pittplayer, in Fan Creations

Have you ever thought that the boards are getting a little stagnet? Well here is my idea. Lets have a challenge!!

Lets all try to make the most evil character, a traitor character if you will, and at the end of the week lets vote for which one is the best. If this idea catches on we can do more challenges. Why a evil character you ask? Well fant flight doesnt really make these kind of characters for the game so it would be new and challenging. There are cards that can awaken the ancient ones, call monsters, summon beasts, and let you corrupt. So many cards just waiting to be abused!! Lets just try to keep the characters balanced. This should be a ton of fun!!

How would the character win? Well we could give them jtwt, or just house rule that if the GOO wakes up on the evil guys turn you win if the goo wakes up on another turn you lose or if the other investegators win by gates or whatever you lose.

Or just make a evil character that still has to help win, fighting a different evil all are allies!

sorry about the double posting not intended

There have been plenty of attempts to create 'traitor' investigators in the past, but mostly they haven't worked, because the game rules and cards just don't include many ways for investigators to oppose each other.

But it's gotta be worth one more try, I reckon. I'll have a go at something and post it on the Custom Investigators thread.

How about this?

josephsmithfrontside.jpg

This will be a lot less fun if all anyone does is design investigators who can succeed at "Join the Winning Team". That's really lazy.

I say let's make it interesting. JtWT should be banned from this challenge.

i think you should be able to use jtwt but it wont be as cool as if you dont use it. Def get points for difficulty.

kroan: nice character, but he doesn't scream evil to me. its a good start though.

lets vote for best on saturday

1 Originality

2 Flavor

3 Fuction

These we will grade 1-10 and see who is the winner.

Alright, here you go: it's a bit contrived, but it should basically allow one player to be an absolute pain in the chuffer.

3487571242_559be046ee_b.jpg

A couple of points:

1. His ability is already used in Wendy. Creativity never hurts (no offence).

2. Currently the only way for him to mess with the investigators is to summon monsters, which isn't that big of a deal. If you want to make him more pain he should start with Nacaal Key.

3. Even so there should be someting in the final battle, for example: When the Ancient One awakens, [name] is removed from the battle (he still counts for the purpose of inclicting successes though). The Ancient One's Combat rating then improves by -2 and he gains 2 doom tokens.

4. This investigator would be waaay too broken (even without point #3) if he happens to come across Call Ancient One or the unique tome that awakens the ancient one, as he can use it early when the investigators aren't prepared for the fight. Against ancient ones like Shub or Yog-Sothoth if the traitor uses one of these items early enough all investigators would be devoured instantly.

Hmmm, all good points. Some more thought is required.

1. I know the ability is already on Wendy - that's where I copied it from. I didn't think anyone would mind, since the ability is being put to a very different use, and surely no-one could claim that playing as this guy is anything like playing as Wendy.

2. The Naacal Key is one-use-only, isn't it? It's unlikely to make a big difference in the long run.

3. The Final Battle is causing me some problems - I don't like the idea of just removing a traitor from the game just when things are coming to the crux. A game with a traitor character in it should be a suspenseful struggle - but it's a bit unfair to 'exclude' one side of that struggle just when it's getting interesting. Traitors are people too! It would be possible to have the traitor "fight" in the final battle by somehow HEALING the ancient one instead of hurting it - so the traitor's successes add doom tokens back on, and he has to survive the AO's attack just like everyone else (because let's be honest, any pact with the Great Old Ones is a fool's pact, and once the Ancient One is awake, it probably won't bother to draw the distinction between friendly humans and enemy humans. Humans are just insignificant tiny tasty snacks and their idiotic human ideals are laughable etc etc.)

4. I thought of this, then for some reason I forgot about it. Obviously he'll just cast Call Ancient One as soon as he can. There are a couple of ways round it. The other investigators could have some way to prevent the traitor from accessing items, or they could have a way of 'dispelling' his spells or tomes. Alternatively, the traitor could be specifically unable to use Call Ancient One or the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay. But that's very clumsy; I think if traitors are going to work, they need to be balanced with any other combination of Arkham Horror cards, not just with an arbitrary combination of cards.

All these problems require too much text on a traitor's special ability. So maybe we DO need some sort of general 'Traitor' rule which applies to all traitor characters, and which solves these problems. If the special rule doesn't need to be printed on each individual investigator sheet, I don't feel so bad about it being a bit clumsy and contrived, so how about this:

"Investigators with the occupation "the Traitor" do not count as investigators for the purposes of determining the gate limit, the monster limit or the outskirts limit. These investigators cannot awaken the Ancient One using the ability of any item. Successes rolled by Traitors on Combat checks during the Final Battle accumulate to add Doom tokens rather than remove them."

Integrating traitor characters properly may actually be a job for a Herald.

some points,

1. I dont think you need to make extra rules, or at least a bunch of extra rules for traitor characters, if the goo wakes up he is as screwed as everyone else.

2. I think the simple house rule can be: if the goo wakes up on the traitors turn he wins, or maybe if the goo wakes up on the traitors turn put one extra doom token on the goo, the traitor does not fight.

i like your character but your special rules box is taken up by trying to make new rules. I think we should just make characters that use the reg rules, but are more inclined to wreak havoc and be able to use my little house rule for having pvp gameplay. Like by giving them summon monster items or whatever. Even the redeemded cultist is a good example. The doom track going up HELPS her.

or have the traitor fight be using his clue tokens to make the other players reroll when they get successes?

I thank you guys for helping out with this post. I think its a mad fun idea. I am going to try to recruit more people to play along. I want to try to get a bunch of characters on so we can vote on Sat. Something to do while we wait for Innsmouth.

I want to help with characters too but i have a bogus computer that wont run aeons. So here is a character maybe someone can aeon it to make it real so people can print it and play it?

Samuel Von Junzt

Hermit

Starting equipment: Naacal Key, Plague of Locusts.

Abilities:

TUNNELS IN EARTH: Samuel may move from the black cave to any unstable location in Arkham

MASK OF FLESH: Samuel may make a Luck +1 check when at beginning of movement phase he is in the same location as another investigator. If pass take one clue token from that investigator, if fail lose one stamina.

High lore, low fight.

he is a beast!! he can sneak around and open gates or ambush people!! plus you can use him as a traitor or reg guy, his abilities still come in handy in coop sessions.

pleasepleaseplease someone make him a printable character i love him so! lol

Here is your character mocked up using Strange Eons:

2d956dc77c03.jpg

wow, u are fast! thanks

dont mean to be a nitpicker but i was thinking more evil wizard less swashbuckler for the pic? i dont mean to offened just so you know just think it would fit it better.

if you ever read "the festival" by lovecraft i based samuel on that story with the old wizards with the fake faces that worship underground. sorry i should have said that earlier

The real challenge should be to have a way that the other investigaters don't know there is a traitor.

And I don't really get the point of Jtwt, it just tends to annoy the group if someone tries to use it.

Has anyone ever seen the game Black Morn Manor? There was an interesting dynamic, where investigators & minions could switch sides.

this board is for developing characters not coming up with new rules, but yes it would be interesting to have a secret traitor.