Askil's Only Nercromunda Project (WIP)

By Askil, in Only War

I have been considering something of this kind, however I think it might be giving the players too many "free passes" to salvage their screw-ups and ruin the grimdark vibe.

I'll mention it to my group for possible testing.

I'll have to re-read BC to familiarise myself with the system again.

Double posting is bad form I know, but I wanted to feed back.

Having re-read the infamy system I conclude:

In the beginning of a campaign it's not really all that different to FPs except for the effects of points spent (being that the accumulation of Corruption points isn't really a goal for underhivers I probably wouldn't tie effect to CP) but toward the end of a moderately successful campaign it could pile on a game breaking number of disposable bonuses and free healing.

Basically it seems to be a method of allowing players earn extra fate points by small increments. Sounds like a problem just waiting for an immature player to start a group-breakng argument over.

I'm not against the idea in principle, I just don't really see how in would be much different to awarding players FPs for good gaming. The precedent in Necromunda fluff would be the blue-skinned bat-winged cherubs called Caryatids who swarm around people destined for greatness. (Burning this extra fate would represent the Caratyid taking the hit or something.)

Also quite unlike BC it isn't really the idea of ON to become a mighty planet-conquering legend. It's more about adventure, survival and exploration. An end-game character in ON would be a reknowned bounty hunter retiring to a bordello with enough cash to last out his days, a locally famous guild merchant with offworld contacts leaving Necromunda forever to live on a pleasure world in a villa or a feared outlaw cutting a deal with a shadowy figure and adopting the identity of a minor noble.

Basically the end of an ON character's life is the point where an inquisitor/rogue trader might sensibly recruit them. (Rather than DH's silly practice of recruiting hordes of worthless scrubs and promoting the survivors.)

Edited by Askil

New version, mainly minor tweaks, finished charsheet and started the drugs section.

ON ver. 19/7/14

Do you think cybernetics will make it in soon? I've already ran into the issue of how much the install and limb would cost, which I ruled as 20 credits, with another 25 for a poor quality foot.

Wow, you seriously think amuptation, neurosurgery and a new robotic limb cost less than a boltgun?

Just to scale this for you, it costs 21 credits to eat three meals a day for a week (Just enough to not suffer from starvation.)

An advanced medical procedure should be at least equivilent to a month's subsistence.

The install should probably cost more than the limb too, as no matter how cheap the augmetic is the surgery is intricate and involves a high level of medical skill. Anyone capable of performing an augmetic graft is going to be in high demand and capable of demanding quite a price for their services.

Maybe it should look sometihng like this:

Augmetic Implantation Surgery (Very Rare)

(Poor) Medicae, Int 40 : 40 Credits

(common) Medicae +10, Int 45: 60 Credits

(Good) Medicae +20, Int 50 : 80 Credits

(Best) Medicae +20, Int 60 : 100 Credits

Sense: Very Rare

(Poor) 25 Credits

(Common) 50 Credits

(Good) 75 Credits

(Best) 100 Credits

Limb (Rare)

(Poor) 30 Credits

(Common) 55 Credits

(Good) 80 Credits

(Best) 110 Credits

For the poorer crippled Underhiver the cheap alternatives to bionics.

Prosthetics

There are many who never scrape the credits or favors togther to afford even the crudest augmetics, for these poor souls there is the choice of disability or the discomfort of crude hand-hade prosthetics.

A prosthetic functions as a poor quality bionic with the additional penalties of having no additional TB and being instantly destroyed if it takes more than ten (10) points of damage from a single hit.

Additionally, while a prosthetic hand may hold a melee weapon, it cannot operate a firearm.

Limb: (Common)

Mouldy Peg Leg, Rusty Meat Hook (Poor) 2 Credits

Mannequin leg, Adjustable Screw-Clamp(Common) 5 Credits

Partially-Articulated Leg / Sprung clamp (Good) 10 Credits

Fully-Articulated Leg, Sping-Articulated Hand(Best) 15 Credits

Edited by Askil

An excellent point, and something I will now incorporate when it next comes up. It was a spur of the moment cost decision, which ended up cleaning out the cash reserves of the player so it wasn't all bad. I do admit that the price was far too low.

Well in the underhive (as in real life) necessity rules, if the augeticist you find has a poor quality foot lying about and nothing to eat for breakfast tomorrow, a more favorable deal can be made.

Edited by Askil

I intend to play it as such. Tonight a new batch of players will be coming to test the newest version of the rules, so we will see how the updated Quirks system plays out. I really liked (and forgot to mention) how Trusty Sidearm is now balanced, by the way!

EDIT: So the new players liked the freedom of the new system quite a bit. One decided to be a gun-savvy smooth talker from the Underhive, while the other was a Hive City transplant with a knack for building weapons and armor. They really seemed to be smitten with the idea of the Guild, and becoming traders, which is totally off my prediction of them being mass murdering hobos. I now struggle to somehow incorporate players as traders into the game, and how much a Guild or Bounty Hunting license is going to cost. Joy.

Also, Commerce and the Scummer quirk may need some adaptation to the new merchant system. I've tentatively houseruled Commerce as an opposed test to modify price, each DoS either raising or lowering the base by 10%. The Scummer quirk acts as a +2 Merchant Rating for illegal items. What do you think?

Edited by cpteveros

As for the Guild and bounty hunter accreditations

In terms of the Guild a retained employee is probably the best an outsider can really hope for in terms of ranking. Like a official guild prospector/problem solver retained for service on stipend rather than a genuine "trade routes and stock units" trader.

As for bounty hunting it's upto you but it should really be enough to justify why not everyone has one. Unlicensed bounty hunters exist for a reason.

If your players have been too free with spending their credits you can always have them turn a sufficiently valuable bounty into the guild in return for a license.

As for the quirks. Commerce was to be used as you have it, a haggling skill. (I seem to have assumed that would be understood.) but maybe I should state it somewhere at some point.

Scummer is one I need to re-jig at some point if it's changing merchant rating it should only be a +1, maybe I'll have to define illegal items, or change it to state specific item types for their bonus like chems and ammo.

Edited by Askil

I will present them with those choices, though it seems my player wants to become an honest to goodness merchant. Kind of ruins the whole idea of adventures and exploration, but we will see.

I was thinking a Bounty Hunting License costs maybe around 30 credits, and can only be purchased at a regular Guild outpost (as in a 3+ Merchant Rating) as lower merchants lack the authority to grant one.

That's what I had assumed for Commerce, but I didn't know if you had got to that point or had a different idea. Glad we were thinking along the same lines.

It could be that "illegal" items would be drugs, as I don't see your joe shmoe Guild affiliate just having an Obscura rack in his shop. A +1 rating is fair, too.

If your guys realy want to roleplay as Guild drones that's up to them (and you,) but make it clear that the guild is a horrifically corrupt crushingly unfair institution.

The guildmasters doesn't really have an interest in sharing the wealth with newcomers, most wannabe guilders die grim deaths in grinding menial affiliate positions before even being considered for full membership.

The guild will work them like dogs and have them killed, re-cyked and sold for lunch if they don't regularly hand over enough in guild tithes.

Bounty hunting licensing is just a legal technicality. It essentially makes taking a bounty an arrest (and legal) rather than a kidnapping (and illegal.) As such it is something that needs to command a decent price possibly higher than 30 but that's a good starting point i suppose.

Re-jigged the scummer quirk this morning in line with what we said earlier. Ended up ruling it for chems and special ammo instead of vague "illegal stuff."

Sounds good, on all parts. I explained to my player what he would actually be doing in the Guild, and he liked the idea of being a retainer or caravaneer. If he ends up going that route, I will make sure to make it byzantine in structure and as unfeeling as well.

The wannabe bounty hunter is saving up his credits for the license, as he would prefer to be legal. Which is fine by me, seeing as they have been failing miserably at everything and their medical bills left them broke after their first session.

The beauty of this whole ON system is that food, lodging, and medical bills takes a serious dent out of the piggy bank of everyone. My players can barely afford to eat, let alone buy a whole bunch of weapons and armor. Fits the lore perfectly :P

EDIT: I have finally finished the Necromunda Bestiary! It isn't too much, and I've worked on it here and there when I had spare time. I've added all the critters from the Underhive Bestiary supplement for Necromunda, with the additional three or four creatures from a modern supplement to Necromunda able to be added as a possibility. Here is the link, give me any and all criticisms of course: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vC8bjPPjUgcZybuCQFMKgJ0144V4HbGf4SdFSmXiSW4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by cpteveros

Fear not my children I have not forsaken you, I have merely been busy with my life beyond the sacred realms of cyberspace caring for the sick and mourning dead pets.

Banish the shadows and cobwebs of your sorrow flooded hearts and lift high the torch of hope for I bring you a slightly more up to date version of the ON book!

So...yeah, enjoy and stuff.

Glad you're back, and glad that you've put in costs for cybernetics! I know that the new section is still WIP, but at least for me, it leaves more questions than it answers.

For example, where does one find an Augmeticist, and where do they find cybernetics? When the process requires several tests, what happens if they fail? If a player chooses to go the prosthetic route, do they have to pay an augmeticist to implant those as well? What's the difference between a best quality prosthetic and a poor quality one, if both only count as a poor quality cybernetic?

Well...

An augmeticist is a medic, I'm considering making the listed medics in the augmetic surgery entry into another called just "Medical services."

If you can find a medic (however you want to handle that.) They might be a guild-retained medic who you can find like an item, or an NPC you bump into after making inquiries, no matter how you find them you have a shot at geting a bionic fitted. (although you need to buy it too.)

A bionic is an item lke any other, bought from the guilders. I'm thinking of making a bionic quality upgrade "item" so a character can improve his bionics without having to have his bionic torn off and replaced at massive cost.

A prosthetic is a a dead bit of plastic/fungus/metal/bone, a character can easily settle it onto a (properly healed) stump and admire their new appendage as they fasten it on themself.

To answer the quality question for prosthetics the penalites (which I'm still ruminating on) will vary, basically a rubbish meathook hand will impose more massive penalties for manual tasks than a finely tuned spring-arcticulated mannequin hand. Also better quality prosthetics will be less noticably fake.

My main issue though is what happens when the implantation tests fail, as that could quite easily happen.

As for prosthesis, maybe each one offers less penalties to manual dexterity/agility? So a rusty hook would set you back -30, a claw would be -20, a jointed hand -10? Also I don't think they could really be used to hold a melee weapon, because if you think about it, swinging with any force with a piece of metal that is strapped on or held by suction won't work too well.

To bolster the effectiveness of armour in ON I'm inserting a houseule my group has started using.

Any hit that penetrates armour will always do one point of damage before applying damage reduction from Toughness Bonus.

E.g.

Bill get shot in the chest for 1d10+3 = 9 damage.

Bill has a Flak vest AV3 and a TB of 4 (lucky bill)

Old way

9 - AV3 = 6 - TB4 = 2

000 (armour reduction) 0000 (TB reduction) 2 (damage)

New way

9 - AV3 = 6* - TB4 = 2

000 (armour reduction) 1 (damage) 0000 (TB reduction) 1 (damage)

(*armour penetrated: 1 damage inflicted)

Basically the idea is that TB "skims damage off from the top" rather than being a cumlative threshold with AV making characters invulnerable to punches and knives as soon as they put on a flak jacket. (I'm being flippant but you know what I mean.)

Edited by Askil

I like that idea, does it test well? I always thought it was kind of silly that a starting Guardsman or player was usually tough enough to not even get a scratch when stabbed in the back.

I don't know long term, but it worked well enough in my last session.

It also makes swarms of weak creatures capable of dragging down armoured PCs over time rather than just scrabbling uselessly against invisible "skin armour."

I've always hated how TB is somehow better than power armor, and have flirted with the idea of making it penetrable just like normal AP points are. I don't see how an average person (TB of 3) can literally not be injured by a stab wound half the time, so I may implement this too.

One other way to make swarms of weak creatures a threat is toxic damage. Either through their bite, or hitting them, or both. In our last session, half the PCs were killed by a single Millasaur because of toxic damage.

Millasaurs are viciously dangerous buggers, one almost TPKd my entire (lvl5 DH) group a year ago.

In the Bestiary they are decent but not incredibly strong, their main strength is their Toxic (1) attack and Toxic (0) trait that makes melee with them especially dangerous.

I've had a lot of fun making my party fight all the different Necromunda critters, and it's even better as they don't know what they are to begin with. They have to pass a Common Lore (Necromunda) test for every new creature to see if they recognize it, so for a while it's "the small, flying creature swoops down and wraps it's wings around your head" without them knowing exactly what is going on.

I know I'm replying to a VERY old thread but does anyone have the last version Askil release for this?

I have version 19.7.14 (file created 19.07.2014) - don't know, is it last or not. I can share it on google drive, if you want.

I just found that one as well I do see he posted a 31.7.14 file in posts above but can't find that one to see what differences there were made.