New Expansion!!!!!!!!

By Lilikin, in Wiz-War

The waiting is soooo long ... !

It can't be too long! It's on the boat!

Since I have to wait, it's already too long !

I hate announcement, sometimes I would like they announce a finish product, that only nned to be paid at the retailer

:laughter: Considering that actually we've been waiting since early 2012 to see some creatures arriving... :D But it's so totally worth waiting ;)

Seems like you know way much more than you're willing to say !

I'm just overexcited to see creatures arriving :)

As we all are, I assume.

But I don't understand why thoses creatures took so much time to be created. All of us were waiting for it since long time now, almost the time when the game cames out.

Edited by rugal

You can put up a new preview for the bestial forces expansion anytime now, FFG.

We won't mind this at all, I promise.

Good point ! Descent has 3 times of preview than Wiz-war

Good point ! Descent has 3 times of preview than Wiz-war

In fairness to FFG, even though CP has stated that all games get equal attention ( :D riiiiight) Descent, X-Wing, etc make way more cash for them and thus get more attention. I find that reasonable.

I am just fricking happy that we have gotten two expansions for Wiz-War within the same year. But I wouldnt mind one last teaser before the (assumed) release near Gencon.

They really do, do a lot for driving excitement for their games.

Which makes one wonder if they promoted their other games as well as they do for Netrunner, Descent, etc. would they do better? Limited personel resources for marketing are a bugger to manage.

your wish is done

but, there's not so much spoils, i'm deceived ... :(

So now that it's out what does everyone think?

I have 50CAD in credits at my FLGS...I don't know what to get between Talisman and some expansions or Wiz-War and it's expansions...or wait for Eldritch Horror Mtn of Madness exp...

Too much choices :P

Anyone UK side have it yet? :(

I'm tapping my fingers....

I'm in Germany and have it for 3 weeks now, Ordered it via Amazon.de

Nooooooo!!!!! :-(

Is your the English language version Knightmare?

Giantcavecrab,

the English edition is still available from Bookdepository.com for 28 EUR (ca), with free shipping worldwide. I got my copy from them two or three weeks ago

So now that it's out what does everyone think?

I am 12 plays in with bestial forces. It really is a fantastic expansion.

I'm not liking the totem school for certain types of play though, such as big book of spells. It gets too diluted, and for a school which relies on playing with itself to make its own effects culminate, it has a lackluster showing there.

When using the FFG magic deck method, along with specialization (especially as a school chosen for specialization), it functions much better.

Totem doesn't feel very wizwar to me, but that's ok. There should be something in the game catering to various tastes.

The use of creatures is adding a new dimension that is really swingey to the game. The genie, as predicted, is a pain in the ass especially since we know that creatures get more hit points added to them from wizards cutting themselves in order to even to conjure them.

The boggart is pretty fun too for certain strategies (strategy... heh... now there's a word you don't hear very often associated with wizwar).

I believe that creatures have indeed added strategy to the game, in its own minimal fashion, especially combined with the specialization optional rule.

It offers something for everyone. For the counterspell haters and lovers, for those who hate and love treasure running too. Adding a new dimension to play, yet still sticking largely with what makes wizwar so good already. It is leagues better than malefic curses, even at this early stage of experience with this expansion. Very fun.

The only real criticism I have is that magic cards are _far_ too often duplicated inside the schools, so the novelty wears thin a bit with their predictabilty of draws within the decks(s), and a couple cards from the base set made it into this expansion adding further fuel to the duplication criticism. It doesn't suffer for that, but I feel ffg could have handled that better and thus a twinge of dissapointment creeps in.

A definite must buy and I consider it a compulsory purchase.

Edited by Hellfury

Giantcavecrab,

the English edition is still available from Bookdepository.com for 28 EUR (ca), with free shipping worldwide. I got my copy from them two or three weeks ago

Many thanks! As it happens my FLGS has a copy sat waiting for me as we speak. Should have it tonight. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop! :)

I'm not so fond ot it. I've waited creatures for SOOOO long time, but now they are here, it looks like transformations are useless (even if they were a bit before, but now they really are !) and I would have made creatures a bit different.

Since, I think it's a great addition to the game and that now it became the game it should have been from the start. Hope some more creatures would comme soon, but maybe less life points, stronger, not illimited and not making attacks (like a thing that follow a target without stopping and explode on when touching a thing, a phoenix that burn everything inluding himself and when he dies, his caster can give him some life point back by spending an energy card, etc ...)

It makes me wonder where future expansions will contain. I think its a safe bet that next expansion would be the sixth (and hopefully final) player. But that only covers that single facet of that expansion. What of the design space will they pursue? Will they dredge deeper into some fine older cards, or insist on completely new stuff like we saw in the totem school?

You raise a good point that the transformations are lackluster, with creatures driving home how much so. I wouldn't be opposed to the werewolf and the golem being retconned a bit. The most actual useful transformations seem to be the big man and the gnome.

There is some good design space still to explore, along with some brilliant cards from the past that can be brought back. I wish I were a fly on the wall to know what we can expect.

The main thing I want is color-coded cantrip schools so each player can have their own deck.

There's a trouble with the sixth player : there's no way all players can be adjacent to each other. So, not sure there will be one

More creatures is a good point, maybe stronger ones, but that needs to be maintained with new transformations too.

True, there's no way to have granted adjacency to all the others with a 6th player in, but you can build the board as a 3x2 so that each player is adjacent to other four wizards. I don't think there's the need for everyone to interact with everyone else, but for each wizard to be adjacent to the same number of wizards.

This said, I'm curious too. I'd like a more "utility-oriented" expansion, with spells to mess up with walls, floors, adding the third dimension (pits, blocks, stairs and so on) and working on items, possibly with some cursed relic in. No idea of what's the future, tho :-(

I'd like a more "utility-oriented" expansion, with spells to mess up with walls, floors, adding the third dimension (pits, blocks, stairs and so on) and working on items, possibly with some cursed relic in.

+1. Agreed. I think the more generic that the utility options are in the magic cards, the better the overall play experience is. I enjoy cards that offer obstructions, and it would be nice to see a few more of those offered. Perhaps this is why I find the Conjuring school nearly compulsory in construction of the magic deck.

I would like to see Animate Object brought back, to break the rule that you cannot create an object in the same square as another immovable object (like Glue does). A walking Stone Block, or Rosebush, etc. with little feet sticking out from underneath it would be not only humorous, but pretty fun.

Items are rather rare in the expansions. I am ok with Relics playing a minor role as they are really powerful, but we could use a few more items and immoveable obstructions.

My main gripe with how this is progressing is magic card redundancy. It's kind of a drag. For the price asked, I would hope they could offer a bit more than the same card nearly twice in each school. I know FFG can do better than that, especially with such a large pre-existing pool of classic cards to choose from.

If there could be only one request that I was allowed to make of FFG in order to influence how its produced, it would be to stop the profane amount of card redundancy.