Quick mission suggestions for newbie GMs

By unclepoop, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

So everyone is getting excited about getting started again playing, after that not so great start. So now I need to get some quick one time missions going. Any suggestions or ideas? I have no clue what could be considered a quick mission. Anything that comes to mind seems like it will take longer to do than intended.

I am thinking a servitor based training session, just give the servitors the basics of one xenos or another. Like a horde of 'gaunts with 'nid warriors. Or orcs with a boss of some kind. It just seems kind of boring though.

Have you run Extraction from the core book?

I like Final Sanction/Oblivion's Edge, but they are pretty linear and (imo) can get boring.

Yeah we ran Extraction it did not go well. I will check out that link ak-73.

Yeah we ran Extraction it did not go well.

Mind if I ask what happened?

Yeah we ran Extraction it did not go well.

Mind if I ask what happened?

I do believe you participated in my first post on these forums which was about that scenario. It was our first time playing we knew we would need to go over rules and different things as we played. What I didn't know was not everyone read all the rules for their characters. The mission was going a bit too quickly and when the group finally met up with some more formidable foes they got their butts handed to them. Only because not everyone knew all the rules, including myself.

Well, if you want a warmup, you can always use the Training Grounds in Watchfortress Erioch. Just build up a scenario for hunting, put in some enemys and give it a go. Besides, it's a nice idea to give a bit more of an image to the fortress by leading the players to several places there. Maybe you could even let them choose their prey from the Bestiarium and make it just one hunting session for that enemy.

Further places on Erioch and Information about Erioch can be found here:

• Deathwatch: Core Rulebook , pp. 328-333
  • Deathwatch: First Founding , p. 115
  • Deathwatch: Rites of Battle , pp. 228-232

or just google it a bit...

Edited by Avdnm

Thanks all. Those links are good, I should be able to use most of those missions and ideas. I don't have the Erioch book yet I may need to get it, good suggestion about the team getting a glimpse of the fortress.

There is no Erioch book (afaik), you can find a bit about it in the Core Rolebook and the other two books I mentioned( Several places on the fortress, NPCs, etc. ). But you can also find most of the information about erioch somewhere in the internet, too. Just google it a bit...

And last but not least, you're the GM and might just add something to the fortress ;-)

Oh ok I think I was getting the system book mixed up with what you mentioned. Thanks for the tips, I am going to throw some stuff together this weekend and hopefully get some play time in next week.

A one off mission my GM ran us through was a potentially infested Rogue trader vessel making a landing on an agri world.

In our case it was an RT captain knowingly working for the patriarch that had 300 genestealers in cryostorage posing as fruit. We had to uncover his culpability, stop the ship from landing, and kill the command crew and patriarch before they all woke up.

You could easily change this to be a horror stalking through tight spaces style. You could have the captain immediately ram the space station while the KTis on it turning it into an open firefight. You could make it an investigation trying to find a small infestation while the captain insists its clean and wants to land.

Was the Rogue Trader's name Isery by any chance?

It strikes me I've done this recently, but what the heck...

For me the hard part isn't coming up with a mission, but a motive for the mission. Deathwatch Kill Teams aren't usually the commandos who go blow up a bridge to stall the enemy's advance. That's a job for the regular space marines. DW Kill teams blow the bridge up because there's a cave on the other side of the bridge with some xenos-artifacts that the Big "I" didn't want people messing with but couldn't figure out how to move without destroying the planet.

So anyway, missions still need to be varied to keep them interesting. You need complications. The Tau have some null field generator and the Big "I" wants to know how they've come up with this technology. The Kill Team is assigned to capture the technology, or its related paperwork research, or chief researcher. But, they get to the target and find the generator is the size of an apartment building. Wishing they'd thought far enough ahead to requisition 647 melta bombs, they need a new plan.

Okay, all that said, you still want missions.

Sabotage - said null field generator, orky tech, any tech (unknown tech is always a good mission), aforesaid bridge, landing zone, drop ship on the landing zone, recapturing important pieces of Imperial tech that shouldn't fall into the enemy's hands

Assassination - this one can be used over and over and it hardly ever gets old, just change the target type, Tyranid synapse creature, Tau VIP, renegade VIP trying to get cozy with the Tau, one of the good guys that got captured and you don't want his info falling into enemy hands, anybody whatsoever that's vaguely important and allied with the Ruinous Powers. You get the idea.

So your players used a bit of overkill in that last mission and you want some GM payback. That excessive use of force on their part didn't go unnoticed and now the baddies have some reaction forces closing the noose on the good guys' escape route...

And let's not forget the recon mission. Sometimes the Big "I" just doesn't know enough about the situation but every DH-style team they've sent in keeps turning up missing. Obviously this is a job for the DW. Get the scoop and get out.

I like one-offs. I won't go into why, that's another thread. Still, you have certain traits each mission needs in order to feel "real" to the players. Those traits are 1) insertion 2) objectives and 3) retrieval. The baddies usually know they have something worth protecting and they will do their best. It's to the DW Kill Team's advantage to get in unnoticed. They have their objectives. They've talked them over and chosen their team leader, their equipment, and their approach. They attempt to pull off their well-laid plans. Then they have to get away so they can perform another mission. It's that easy. Good Luck.